Red Dragon? Anyone?

Dave Maze

8 hours ago, mkabi said:

In any case, I don't know what producers you are talking about, but who ever they are should've advised the producers of all these guys:

http://www.red.com/shot-on-red/cinema

http://www.red.com/shot-on-red/television

I'm pretty sure he's not talking about high budget Hollywood films. The DP's on those projects aren't getting the job based off of their camera package.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On August 7, 2016 at 11:10 AM, Ed_David said:

But you can easily convince a producer to use your camera if you show them the work you do on it and can explain to them why it's a better choice for the project.  If the producer doesn't listen to you, they aren't being a smart producer.  

On August 7, 2016 at 6:39 AM, Fritz Pierre said:

Kinemax...find their examples on Vimeo...amazing image!

That's why sometimes to the client/producer my KineMAX is like an Arri Alexa (can shoot 16 stops DR at 3K in raw with beautiful digital grain, colour and highlight rolloff) and sometimes it is like a RED Dragon (4K compressed raw high frame rates and 6k acquisition in a smaller, modular body). :glasses:

Camera choice for me starts with what do I want to achieve given the concept for the work, can I achieve this with the current tools I own (or do I have to hire) while considering budget generally, and then how do I communicate this to client/producer/director etc... for which if I have to I will put together a combination of test footage/previous work with a bit of a sample look.

On August 6, 2016 at 7:28 PM, Ed_David said:

skintones are weird and plasticy with the red dragon.  I have only used it about 4 times.  But after that, I don't really care for it.

Kind of beige looking.

At the price range, I think pretty much everyone has switched to shooting on the Alexa mini.

I think a working dragon package is about 30k or so.

A working Alexa mini package is $36k.

So I guess, you know, what's the reason then to go with a camera that doesn't look as nice and has more noise?

here's some test charts so you compare the look of it with the alexa, etc etc:

http://cinematography.net/edited-pages/cml-uwe-2015.html

Resolution, Frame rate, R3D workflow......

But yeah Alexa Mini simply looks much better and I've seen several people in the industry I work in switch to the Mini. I never had the chance to work with the mini YET, but from what I've seen the footage looks so lovely, buttery smooth.....

On that note I've been seeing more footage from he Ursa Mini 4.6k, and for us poor folks with a dream I think that may be my next camera real soon :)

8 minutes ago, j.f.r. said:

But yeah Alexa Mini simply looks much better and I've seen several people in the industry I work in switch to the Mini. I never had the chance to work with the mini YET, but from what I've seen the footage looks so lovely, buttery smooth.....

It's an Alexa image in a RED-ish body. Best of both worlds, if that's the kinda thing you're after. I know some are using it as an A-cam because of its 4:3 sensor for anamorphic glass - find me a camera at a similar price range that has that!

Question: To those that have worked with most of these cameras, Alexa is killing it... but comparatively... lets look at the next tier.

Do you think that Canon has a better image coming out its Cinema cameras as opposed to Red???

3 hours ago, mkabi said:

Question: To those that have worked with most of these cameras, Alexa is killing it... but comparatively... lets look at the next tier.

Do you think that Canon has a better image coming out its Cinema cameras as opposed to Red???

No. I really think Sony with the FS line and Canon with their C line are truly a step down from the Red and Arri world. I always choose to use Canon C for convenience and budget. Not IQ necessarily. 

3 hours ago, mkabi said:

No, Heck No...... RED simply has a stronger Codec which allows for a better negative. You can grade the "RAW" file pretty much anyway you want it, you just need to know how to light the image.

Canon C300 is an excellent run n gun camera, documentary and for Tv Shows etc. It works perfectly, but the image is what I would say "different" vs something you would see in a film as the main camera. Personally though give me the Ursa Mini 4.6k or an FS5 with the RAW Upgrade and that would be my choice under 10k and probably all the way up to 15k.

Ursa Mini 4.6k imo is simply the BEST looking video camera in it's current price range and all the way up to 15K+ area. Only placing Sony F55 above, Red Dragon, Alexa, etc.

4 hours ago, mkabi said:

No way.

Red, Alexa, Panasonic (Varicam line) and Sony F55/65 are true cinema cameras

Canon C-series are prosumer cameras that can be and have been used on some cinema releases. You still get great images out a C-series camera, but it's no RED. That being said, a C-series camera is a quicker and easier camera overall to learn and use, and is a much more 'run-n-gun' style camera.

1 hour ago, j.f.r. said:

Personally though give me the Ursa Mini 4.6k or an FS5 with the RAW Upgrade and that would be my choice under 10k and probably all the way up to 15k.

Ursa Mini 4.6k imo is simply the BEST looking video camera in it's current price range and all the way up to 15K+ area. Only placing Sony F55 above, Red Dragon, Alexa, etc.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the F5 as well - which can now be had for ~$15k.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

That is great news for F5/55 owners although it is kind of a bummer that you need the pricey and kinda bulky recorder to get that. While the size doesn't matter in normal production environments, it's always a plus if you can strip a camera down for special applications without losing features like this.

Anyway, it's good to see that Sony is getting in on the compressed raw formats so that they will be able to put it into their future cameras, hopefully to mid range/prosumer cams aswell.

5 hours ago, johnnyd said:

That is great news for F5/55 owners although it is kind of a bummer that you need the pricey and kinda bulky recorder to get that. While the size doesn't matter in normal production environments, it's always a plus if you can strip a camera down for special applications without losing features like this.

Anyway, it's good to see that Sony is getting in on the compressed raw formats so that they will be able to put it into their future cameras, hopefully to mid range/prosumer cams aswell.

Yeah, the AXS-R5 is $5,350.00, I imagine that the R7 will cost more. Add $3,600.00 for each TB of proprietary memory... yowza! With fun ways to make money like that, my guess is that we won't be seeing compressed raw in the mid-range/prosumer cams for aaaaaaawwwhile. Probably longer than it took for s-log to find its way into prosumer.

I see that Sony is pushing that the R5 and R7 are weather-sealed, are the F55 and F5 weather-sealed too? 

On 8/8/2016 at 6:16 PM, jcs said:

Yes, shotonwhat is just some guy in his underpants updating it all.  I think he gave up at some point.  

I mean Star Wars Rougue One, the Reverent, San Andreas, the Avengers, it's an endless list of films that shoot on the alexa.

I saw some examples of RED Raven footage posted above, but I think this video is a much better demonstration of the camera's potential:

For $5-10K, it doesn't get much better than this in terms of image quality. If you are shooting events or docs, however, I'm sure a Canon or Sony would be a better choice.

On August 12, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Kino said:

I saw some examples of RED Raven footage posted above, but I think this video is a much better demonstration of the camera's potential:

For $5-10K, it doesn't get much better than this in terms of image quality. If you are shooting events or docs, however, I'm sure a Canon or Sony would be a better choice.

Skin tones still look kinda plasticy to me. I wouldn't have noticed as much, but I just recently shot Red for the first time and I totally get what everyone has said about skin tones. It's like a tanning salon tan. 

On 8/8/2016 at 3:55 PM, Kurtisso said:

Spent some time looking at Kinefinity footage after some posts on this thread and the image is beautiful. Surprised there isn't more interest in it. They've got some traded in versions of the Kinemini on their website pretty cheap too. I think I like the image more than BM.