Advice Needed - upgrading camera

Matias Goinheix

I know this is one of those topics that people hate. But I need to ask.

It's not very often that people I know go to NY and are willing to bring me a camera. This is huge because customs in my country prevent me from buying things over 200 dollars without paying a small fortune. I have a T2i and I feel that I need an upgrade. I used it a lot and still love it, but I want to start shooting bigger projects (shortfilms, videoclips and planning an indie feature).

I think that for 2600 dollars I can buy a new A7s with batteries, a cage, ND filters and SD cards.

My question would be: is it a good move to buy a camera that was released 2 years ago and already has a mkII version?
Can you recommend other options suitable for my shooting needs (shortfilms, videoclips, indie feature), fully rigged under 3 thousand dollars?

Note:

• 4k is not priority right now. (I could buy a 4k recorder next year for this camera).
  • renting is an option, but I prefer to have my camera because of many reasons.
  • I don't have any expensive lenses. I have two kit Canon zooms, some vintage Oly OM, and the Mir 1B, Helios 44-2 and Jupiter 9.

Thank you

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, tdonovic said:

Do you need the low light on the a7s? I would consider a g7 + speed booster xl. Itl be cheaper, give you a great image and mean you can buy a couple of nicer lenses, replace those kit zooms!

I hate those zooms! But for taking quick pictures with the T2i they are practical. My plan B was to buy a set of Cine Rokinons, but I'm not so sure about those. I never used them.

Low light is something I will be using a lot. And also I like the Slog on the A7s and the fact that it's full frame.

4 minutes ago, JazzBox said:

I also suggest the Panasonic G7: great camera with awesome features. 
You add some nice lenses, maybe Canon FD with a passive adapter or Contax Zeiss and that's it. If you need a wide lens there is the native Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 that is super good.
I added this rig, very nice: https://www.movofilms.be/movofilms-professional-camera-support-kit.html 

Two votes for the G7. I have to watch some videos about it because I don't know much to be honest.

Get a Panasonic G7 and a RJ Lens Turbo for Nikon F mount (under your 200 threshold) and Tokina 11-20mm f2.8 (over threshold).

Then you can later on get Tokina 28-70 f2.8 and 80-200mm f2.8 for probably under the threshold too secondhand. And Nikon 50mm f1.8D 

52 minutes ago, mercer said:

If you like your t2i and the canon colors, then I would stick with canon. Get a C100. If you like S-Log, you'll probably love C-Log. 

I was considering it. It's 2500 now, and I would only need to get some batteries and cards. I love the form factor and the video look. But the A7s is a lot better in low light and it can output 4k video.

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Get a Panasonic G7 and a RJ Lens Turbo for Nikon F mount (under your 200 threshold) and Tokina 11-20mm f2.8 (over threshold).

Then you can later on get Tokina 28-70 f2.8 and 80-200mm f2.8 for probably under the threshold too secondhand. And Nikon 50mm f1.8D 

I'll do some research about the G7 tomorrow. I have to admit that it's not under my radar. I've read a lot about the GH4 though. I deffinitely need some better glass too.

Basically if you love what you read about the GH4 then you'll love the G7.

It misses a few "pro" features such as vlog, weather selling (but doesn't matter if not using weather sealed lenses), 96fps (but that was a big drop in quality anyway from 60fps), and 10bit external  (but you'd need an extra recorder).

However otherwise you could think of a G7 as an "improved" GH4 but at a much lower price!

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Basically if you love what you read about the GH4 then you'll love the G7.

It misses a few "pro" features such as vlog, weather selling (but doesn't matter if not using weather sealed lenses), 96fps (but that was a big drop in quality anyway from 60fps), and 10bit external  (but you'd need an extra recorder).

However otherwise you could think of a G7 as an "improved" GH4 but at a much lower price!

That sounds great. I have a lot to read. For that price I could get a good lens too.

6 hours ago, Matias Goinheix said:

I was considering it. It's 2500 now, and I would only need to get some batteries and cards. I love the form factor and the video look. But the A7s is a lot better in low light and it can output 4k video.

I'll do some research about the G7 tomorrow. I have to admit that it's not under my radar. I've read a lot about the GH4 though. I deffinitely need some better glass too.

I own both GH4 and G7: in 4K the G7 is better especially in low light, but of course also the GH4 is a little monster.
I also own a BM Micro Cinema, great cinematic 1080 camera, but it is slower to use, for every setting you have to enter in the menu while with G7 and GH4 you can set WB, shutter speed, aperture etc... from a dedicated button. If you are in rush G7 and GH4 are a better choice.
If you think to GH4 I would buy 2 G7 :)

It sounds like the G7 is the flavor of the month here on EOSHD, but just be really sure that you are okay with the limited dynamic range of the panasonic cameras.  Personally, I have yet to see anything that has blown me away from Panasonic's prosumer line.   I'm not a blackmagic guy, but in your price range if the best image possible is something that is important to you, they may be your best choice.

I use both, the a7s and g7 with a speedbooster. both have their strenghts and weakneses. low light...a7s, hands down. The fact that it is a full frame and you have a world of vintage lenses to choose from is it`s biggest plus I would say. Dynamic range od cine-d on the g7 is close to non log profiles on a7s, s-log can be great when everything is spot on, but most of the time it`s not worth the 1-2 stops of DR increase. Batteries are one of the reasons I`ve found myself using the g7 more lately(summer events) where changing a pack every hour sucks big time. At this point I only take the a7s when I need lowlight, g7 will prety much max out at 2500, 3200 tops without significant noise. a7s feels way sturdier, the g7 feels a bit like a toy even compared to the t2i, bit so far so good...just don`t drop it. both are very valid tools and will stand the test of time for the next few years, 4k or not, just get a speedbooster of some sort if you get the g7. Oh, and if you are getting it from US bevare that they are mostly regionaly locked NTSC and PAL. i think that I`ve seen a workaround for the g7 somewhere tho, but I haven`t tried it yet.