Sebastien Farges

You maybe know I have sold my baby Hypergonar in a combo with Voigtlander 40mm... 

Now I have a new anamorphic set I have to introduce to you : 

Carl Zeiss Planar 45mm f/2 (some people say the best 35mm lens ever made)

+ my new baby Hypergonar (sorry guys, I swear I don't have an "baby Hypergonar tree")

+ Tokina 0.5 diopter

I've shot some clip today and the result are really promising ! Movie soon, stay tune :)

and the cherry on the cake... A friend of mine loan me a 80mm f2.8 Hartbley Super Rotator Tilt Shift lens... I try quickly the baby hypergonar on it and it seems to work, without vignetting in the TS operations ! I will do some video tomorrow :)

Hartbley Super Rotator Tilt Shift lens 80mm f2.8 (left) + Contax G Carl Zeiss Planar 45mm f2 with baby Hypergonar Berthiot + Tokina 0.5 diopter anamorphic lens 1.75X (right)

8454405548_7bf785480a_c.jpg

Hartbley Super Rotator Tilt Shift lens 80mm f2.8 with baby Hypergonar Berthiot anamorphic lens 1.75X + Tokina 0.5 diopter anamorphic  (left) + Contax G Carl Zeiss Planar 45mm f2 (right)

8454408804_f92777ed82_c.jpg

Hartbley Super Rotator Tilt Shift lens 80mm f2.8 with baby Hypergonar Berthiot anamorphic lens 1.75X + Tokina 0.5 diopter anamorphic (left) + Contax G Carl Zeiss Planar 45mm f2 (right)

8453319835_76cd52e8b1_c.jpg

Hartbley Super Rotator Tilt Shift lens 80mm f2.8 with baby Hypergonar Berthiot anamorphic lens 1.75X + Tokina 0.5 diopter anamorphic (left) + Contax G Carl Zeiss Planar 45mm f2 (right)

8453323233_e8b1232e1d_c.jpg

Contax G Carl Zeiss Planar 45mm f2 with baby Hypergonar Berthiot + Tokina 0.5 diopter anamorphic lens 1.75X

8453396781_86d84a0a9d_b.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Nice! really tidy rigging of the hypergonar/planar/tokina. all nice and integrated. planars work really nicely with anamorphic imo. im using a 50mm on my iscorama. sharpness central! However i almost feel it is too clinical. I imagine you will get the best of both worlds now. nice and sharp while the micro optics will add a hint of character the iscorama maybe misses.

Based on my experiences with zeiss on iscorama I have started experimenting with modifying Helios-44 lenses in order to bring back some rawness to the image. I'm also looking at maybe getting a voigt 40mmf1.4 single coated

I'll be interested to see if you find the zeiss a little too clinical after using for a while. Will you miss the slight vignette and character from the hypergonar/voightlander combo?

Very nice. As far as I know, tilt shift anamorphic is a new frontier.

I think that I have told you before that your daughter has a great face for cinema (and I mean that, not everybody does!). And the architecture of Bordeaux looks so timeless. It's a perfect combination for shooting anamorphic films. I look forward to watching your next film!

Nice! really tidy rigging of the hypergonar/planar/tokina. all nice and integrated. planars work really nicely with anamorphic imo. im using a 50mm on my iscorama. sharpness central! However i almost feel it is too clinical. I imagine you will get the best of both worlds now. nice and sharp while the micro optics will add a hint of character the iscorama maybe misses.

Based on my experiences with zeiss on iscorama I have started experimenting with modifying Helios-44 lenses in order to bring back some rawness to the image. I'm also looking at maybe getting a voigt 40mmf1.4 single coated

I'll be interested to see if you find the zeiss a little too clinical after using for a while. Will you miss the slight vignette and character from the hypergonar/voightlander combo?

You know since I'm filming with the GH series, I went through different phases, beginning with fast lenses in the C-mount vignetting area @ their soft fastest aperture, then the Voigtlanders, and I discover what closing necessary apertures on anamorphic gives for difference (for ex is "A man with anamorphic eyes"... The baby hypergonar is maybe a little less sharp than the Iscorama at fast apertures, but good diopter like my Tokina 0.5 and maybe one day the 0.4 give him beautiful result. I have a friend of mine who has the same ex anamorphic combo like mine, but with the non mc Voigt 40mm version. Badfully he doesn't put yet example on his vimeo's. I'll let you know thru my upcoming work what I think about the Planar. I bought it because few years ago I use to have it on a Contax G1, but I had sell it for money reason. Now he's back and I'm happy about it :)

Very nice. As far as I know, tilt shift anamorphic is a new frontier.

I think that I have told you before that your daughter has a great face for cinema (and I mean that, not everybody does!). And the architecture of Bordeaux looks so timeless. It's a perfect combination for shooting anamorphic films. I look forward to watching your next film!

Thank you QuickHitRecord, tomorrow I will try the tilt and shift in anamorphic, but without my daughter, unlike me she is working ;)

Surprise...! That is great news Sebastien. I am very excited about your first test and examples. I think it is a great idea to chose that Zeiss lens. I am also in no way afraid that it will be too clinical or lack "character" or "soul" or it is not "cinematic" just because it isn't vintage.

I think a more neutral lens can also be very desirable as it gives you more opportunities. Could be more difficult to make a vintage lens

look modern than the other way round... On top I made the experience that my Zeiss lenses are rather different: My 50mm 1.4 Rollei was

very sharp and neutral (cold?) and my 50, 35 mm Contax are way warmer and not as sharp as Canon FD... I was not expecting that.

I don't know much about tilt shift instead it is useful for perspective correction and (over?) used for miniature-fake stuff... again I am looking

forward on that.

However what really impresses me is that you are so busy and you produce loads of cool videos instead of just testing with iphone et cetera like me (and others  ;) )

At the moment I have too much work but I am also looking forward to do some tests (as usual...) with my new kid on the block:

Pany 35-100 with Easyrama: Stabilized, zoom, rackfocus 

Bit of vignetting at 35mm so far but I ordered a few Heliopan steprings to use insted of Redstan ring to come closer.

However: Very good news you stick to your Hypergonar. That will keep prices high for that great little gem  ;)