Samsung NX Speed Booster

lucabutera

Ah the hope of the  NX   Resurrection continues. I like my NX gear at the moment  if and when I move beyond my Nx1 I have the general target of an ursa mini ef as the next step up.

I would love to keep my NX s lenses in a transition to ursa...

is there any way to adapt NX glass to EF Mount?  With iris control and is?  Most likely no as the flange distance is way off... But what about  a glass element?

on second  thought  you can score a 18-35 sigma. EF used for around $500 so what's the point? (No IS though)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Juxx989

As it is, the S is 16-50mm, both wider, and has much more reach at the tele end. It is stabilized, with very good protection from the elements.

The 18-35 is faster, but it is not wide enough, as I use my S and Other lenses, extensively at 16mm, and not tele enough for wid ish portraits.

I would be much more interested on a wider one, like the Fuji 10-24 but with 2.8f, or a 2-2.8f, an ultra wide S lens, that was my dream when I bought the NX1! A lens like that would be on my camera 85% of the time. 

Now, the adapter issue. I told before,  not a while ago, that a NX adapter to whatever mount, is necessary, as we are moving through the years and are no new NX cameras manufactured.

A lot of people took that wrong, I am not going to defend my position. For me is obvious that an active adapter to whatever mount, is necessary for a dying brand. As cameras will become obsolete, or die first, there will be a lot of thousands of lenses around, probably for cheap, that will beg to be used on other cameras. This is a serious business as well. There will be a lot of buyers, more so than the speed boosted ones.

Right now I have 4 NX, so I am set for the next couple of years, until the industry moves up a bit,  but I also have 7-8 lenses, that I would like to use with a different camera. The NX lens collection was an excellent one, a lot of people underestimated it, but in reality it a great small selection of lenses.

12-24 is my go to lens lately. Small pancakes like the 16/30 ones. The fish eye is my second favorite Lens. The workhorse 16-50S. My favorite 45mm. Very good and cheap generic ones, like the PZ and the 50-200. There is an amazing 85mm and a very good macro. It is a shame so much good glass to go to waste forever.

My dream would be a Nikon-Samsung co operation and an official active adapter, working on S35 mode on the new Nikon full frame mirrorless. Nikon is moving away from Sony, maybe a strategical co operation with Samsung will be their saving boat, and Samsung can sell a few hundreds of thousands of ram, CPU, sensors, and whatever Nikon needs.

On 16/10/2017 at 10:07 AM, Kisaha said:

@Juxx989

As it is, the S is 16-50mm, both wider, and has much more reach at the tele end. It is stabilized, with very good protection from the elements.

The 18-35 is faster, but it is not wide enough, as I use my S and Other lenses, extensively at 16mm, and not tele enough for wid ish portraits.

I would be much more interested on a wider one, like the Fuji 10-24 but with 2.8f, or a 2-2.8f, an ultra wide S lens, that was my dream when I bought the NX1! A lens like that would be on my camera 85% of the time. 

Now, the adapter issue. I told before,  not a while ago, that a NX adapter to whatever mount, is necessary, as we are moving through the years and are no new NX cameras manufactured.

A lot of people took that wrong, I am not going to defend my position. For me is obvious that an active adapter to whatever mount, is necessary for a dying brand. As cameras will become obsolete, or die first, there will be a lot of thousands of lenses around, probably for cheap, that will beg to be used on other cameras. This is a serious business as well. There will be a lot of buyers, more so than the speed boosted ones.

Right now I have 4 NX, so I am set for the next couple of years, until the industry moves up a bit,  but I also have 7-8 lenses, that I would like to use with a different camera. The NX lens collection was an excellent one, a lot of people underestimated it, but in reality it a great small selection of lenses.

12-24 is my go to lens lately. Small pancakes like the 16/30 ones. The fish eye is my second favorite Lens. The workhorse 16-50S. My favorite 45mm. Very good and cheap generic ones, like the PZ and the 50-200. There is an amazing 85mm and a very good macro. It is a shame so much good glass to go to waste forever.

My dream would be a Nikon-Samsung co operation and an official active adapter, working on S35 mode on the new Nikon full frame mirrorless. Nikon is moving away from Sony, maybe a strategical co operation with Samsung will be their saving boat, and Samsung can sell a few hundreds of thousands of ram, CPU, sensors, and whatever Nikon needs.

Commercial cameras that can physically use Samsung NX lenses are as follows:

Fujifilm X mount - Canon EF-M mount - Sony E mount - Leica L mount (SL) - Micro 4: 3 mount with reduced sensor (example Panasonic gh5) .

Choose the brand or camera to match your Samsung lenses.

@lucabutera Honestly, I am perfect with my NX so far. I would be waiting to see what are the new Canon and Nikon full frames bring to the table, before I decide changing systems, and that will happen probably in 2019 (this year I am investing in sound and lighting)

Dual Pixel AF of Canon is the best AF experience yet, and I enjoy using it with the Canon C cameras (for when it is needed), and Canon always produces pleasing images that "common folks" like.

Fuji is doing really well and listen to their customers.

Sony seems to winning the battle so far.

we have to see the new cameras of 2018 to understand where the market goes.

What can we keep from NX lenses to other mounts? AF? IS? Electronic aperture control?

I'm with Kisaha on this, saying that I'm more than served with NX1 for many months/years to come.

Of course, I always hope that my NX1 lives long enough.

When I change system, I want to be sure to get something vastly superior to NX1. As to now, nothing is - IMHO - so much superior to justify a switch.

Almost sure, when I switch, it will be for a full frame, unless something "crucial" happens in sensor technology (i.e. the long rumored organic sensors come out) able to improve low light performance.

That said, the three technologies to look at are:

1) Nikon FF mirrorless (if/when it comes)

2) Canon FF mirrorless (if/when it comes)

3) Fuji APS-C (if/when they implement an organic sensor)

7 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

I'm with Kisaha on this, saying that I'm more than served with NX1 for many months/years to come.

Of course, I always hope that my NX1 lives long enough.

When I change system, I want to be sure to get something vastly superior to NX1. As to now, nothing is - IMHO - so much superior to justify a switch.

Almost sure, when I switch, it will be for a full frame, unless something "crucial" happens in sensor technology (i.e. the long rumored organic sensors come out) able to improve low light performance.

That said, the three technologies to look at are:

1) Nikon FF mirrorless (if/when it comes)

2) Canon FF mirrorless (if/when it comes)

3) Fuji APS-C (if/when they implement an organic sensor)

I agree except I thought that Panasonic was the one leading the charge on the organic sensor front. Also, I don't think we will see an organic sensor in the prosumer market anytime soon as well as I always shy away from being a 1st gen adopter anyway.

17 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

by the way, in the end of this thread, there are 2 posts that succeeding made NX to Fuji X adapters (NX lens to Fuji)

https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/4119927

the first guy just glued the NX and X parts of cheap extension tubes.

Yes, as I wrote in my previous post, Fuji X can physically mount Samsung NX lenses.
It is difficult to make the lens contact with the body.

• 2 months later...
On 10/16/2017 at 12:28 PM, keessie65 said:

only two pictures with the NXL adapter. Taking lens is the Mamiya 55 f1.4 lens. Anamorphic lens Bolex 16/32/1.5x and Rectilux HCDNA for focussing. Soon a new short film with this combo. Screenshots, taken wide open.

mamiya5.jpg

mamiya3.jpg

ARGH, you totally blew out your sky! That's the number one complaint I see online from ppl that shoot with high end production cams about DSLMs, and we prove them right constantly. 

A graduated ND could have totally helped this shot. Other than no sky, I like the colors, texture and comp. 

4 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

ARGH, you totally blew out your sky! That's the number one complaint I see online from ppl that shoot with high end production cams about DSLMs, and we prove them right constantly. 

A graduated ND could have totally helped this shot. Other than no sky, I like the colors, texture and comp. 

Hi Matthew, Thank you for your feedback. I do not know if I had an ND filter on front. It was one of the first tests and a frameshot of it. I now have the variable ND filter in 86mm at front of my Hardcore DNA. And it was also the first with the NXL adapter.

23 minutes ago, keessie65 said:

Hi Matthew, Thank you for your feedback. I do not know if I had an ND filter on front. It was one of the first tests and a frameshot of it. I now have the variable ND filter in 86mm at front of my Hardcore DNA. And it was also the first with the NXL adapter.

Fair enough friend. I've seen some of your anamorphic tests and they're great. There's one with a small dog in it and I love it. Wish I could afford anamorphic glass, the stuff is ridiculously expensive. 

32 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

Fair enough friend. I've seen some of your anamorphic tests and they're great. There's one with a small dog in it and I love it. Wish I could afford anamorphic glass, the stuff is ridiculously expensive. 

I agree Matthew, the prices of anamorphic lenses can be redicilous, but... there a lot of families that are cleaning the cellar and attics of their lost granddads and they have no idea what a lens should cost. I have seen Iscorama 36 in priceranges between $500,- and $4.000,-. If you buy from an expert, you will pay the highest price. You only have to be smart with searching. But it is nice to see when you have a combo with a lens over 40 years old and the NX1.

13 hours ago, keessie65 said:

I agree Matthew, the prices of anamorphic lenses can be redicilous, but... there a lot of families that are cleaning the cellar and attics of their lost granddads and they have no idea what a lens should cost. I have seen Iscorama 36 in priceranges between $500,- and $4.000,-. If you buy from an expert, you will pay the highest price. You only have to be smart with searching. But it is nice to see when you have a combo with a lens over 40 years old and the NX1.

You're my newest best friend here. ? 

I was looking at the Rokinon XEEN series but at that point as might as well just buy an Alexa and sell the blood of my first born child. ?

I've done a general search for anamorphic on a PL mount online, but since I have little experience with anamorphic I really have no idea what qualities to look for. I'm finding a lot of affordable anamorphic projector lens, but I'm assuming that won't work? 

I really like the look and quality you got with your Bolex, but I don't know if thats unique to the wider format or the properties and characteristics of that particular lens? You definitely have the most experience with this that I've come across online. 

I'd love if you could share some of your knowledge, like requirements to get the NX1 to conform with anamorphic, what systems are valued as the gems, what systems are considered acceptable, which ones to avoid.

I wish we lived near eachother, I'd love to talk shop and explore NX1/anamorphic setups with you, because above anything else I've seen in terms of making the NX1 produce a more filmic quality, I think you are onto something with the biggest potential. 

I'd like to see some results with some diffusion filters on the end of your Bolex lens, as well as shooting faces with diffused lighting. I think this trifecta is the 3 combo power punch into filmic quality on the NX1. 

And then there's this photo:

cooke-nx1.jpg

And a recent shoot using faux cinescope in Premeire:

AMR.jpg

Yusif.jpg

On 28-12-2017 at 12:59 AM, Matthew Hartman said:

You're my newest best friend here. ? 

I was looking at the Rokinon XEEN series but at that point as might as well just buy an Alexa and sell the blood of my first born child. ?

I've done a general search for anamorphic on a PL mount online, but since I have little experience with anamorphic I really have no idea what qualities to look for. I'm finding a lot of affordable anamorphic projector lens, but I'm assuming that won't work? 

I really like the look and quality you got with your Bolex, but I don't know if thats unique to the wider format or the properties and characteristics of that particular lens? You definitely have the most experience with this that I've come across online. 

I'd love if you could share some of your knowledge, like requirements to get the NX1 to conform with anamorphic, what systems are valued as the gems, what systems are considered acceptable, which ones to avoid.

I wish we lived near eachother, I'd love to talk shop and explore NX1/anamorphic setups with you, because above anything else I've seen in terms of making the NX1 produce a more filmic quality, I think you are onto something with the biggest potential. 

I'd like to see some results with some diffusion filters on the end of your Bolex lens, as well as shooting faces with diffused lighting. I think this trifecta is the 3 combo power punch into filmic quality on the NX1. 

And then there's this photo:

cooke-nx1.jpg

And a recent shoot using faux cinescope in Premeire:

AMR.jpg

Yusif.jpg

Wow, thank you for your Message. But I am only an enthousiatic hobbiest. There are more 'pro' anamorphic filmers at this forum. You can also check facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/anamorphicshooters/ 

I do not have an PL adapter, I normally use an adapter for Nikon to Samsung, to fit a taking lens and on that the anamorphic lens. 

Your pictures are really lovely and your setup with the Cooke lens is really dope. 

It's good we have internet and that's worldwide. Forums and Facebook to share ideas and experiences. 

I have a Helios 44 58mm coming in the mail from Russia and a m42 to nx adapter. 

From what I'm reading online the Helios makes a great taking lens. Any thoughts about this? 

Can you point me in a good direction for a good quality clamp, or whatever it's called that goes between the taking lens and the anamorphic lens? 

I think I'm starting to wrap my head around this anamorphic stuff. It took me a second. I didn't realize at first how it all worked. 

13 hours ago, lucabutera said:

So basically the camera itself does not control or comm with the lens? You need this intermittent device from Aputure, which gives you electronic control externally? 

Though not the optimal solution as direct comm between camera and lens, and a bit pricey, it's an interesting workaround. I'm sure that took a lot of man hours on your part. 

When will this v.2 be ready for prime time? 

Ciao. 

4 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

I have a Helios 44 58mm coming in the mail from Russia and a m42 to nx adapter. 

From what I'm reading online the Helios makes a great taking lens. Any thoughts about this? 

Can you point me in a good direction for a good quality clamp, or whatever it's called that goes between the taking lens and the anamorphic lens? 

I think I'm starting to wrap my head around this anamorphic stuff. It took me a second. I didn't realize at first how it all worked. 

So basically the camera itself does not control or comm with the lens? You need this intermittent device from Aputure, which gives you electronic control externally? 

Though not the optimal solution as direct comm between camera and lens, and a bit pricey, it's an interesting workaround. I'm sure that took a lot of man hours on your part. 

When will this v.2 be ready for prime time? 

Ciao. 

For use as a video camera is very useful because it allows you to fully control the Canon lens, can be ontate on crane, drone or shoulder strap.
The cost is very cheap for the features it offers, it turns the Samsung NX1 into a fullframe camera with remote control of Canon lenses!