Samsung NX Speed Booster

lucabutera

I am trying to resist Luca's creation for some time (or waiting to see if he could succeed on making an active one), but I am really tempted now. I also could use my legacy lenses in their right focal length (very difficult to go wide with legacy lenses).

Great job. I believe NX is the only system that had a hack/mod scene both for software and hardware. That shows something..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey all, 

This is looking like a pretty awesome development. 

Just a few quick questions... 

1) Is this only for EF lenses? It looks like the female mount contact is too shallow to allow for EF-S... Although I think Andrew said you could stick the Sigma 18-35 on it. 

2) This is currently  a 'dumb' adaptor, right? So while you get the fov and 1-stop light gathering boost from using an EF lens, a modern lens without a manual aperture ring will be locked wide-open. Correct? 

Think the timelapse trick of locking the aperture using the DOF preview would work? Although that would be a pain to do... 

3) The talk of having an electronic version in the future... It sounds like that would still require Aputure control, right? Would this ever support direct active aperture control from the camera to lens? Any IS abilities? 

Thanks! 

There are some decent deals on NX1 and 16-50 kits here in South Korea right now. 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Big_Steel said:

2) This is currently  a 'dumb' adaptor, right? So while you get the fov and 1-stop light gathering boost from using an EF lens, a modern lens without a manual aperture ring will be locked wide-open. Correct? 

Think the timelapse trick of locking the aperture using the DOF preview would work? Although that would be a pain to do... 

I guess, but you can still use modern Nikon lenses and control the aperture even if they don't have an aperture ring.
That includes the Sigma 18-35/1.8 in Nikon mount.
Unfortunately you wont get stabilization.

1 hour ago, lucabutera said:

I am very honored by Andrew's review.
Some fast Aps-c lenses could work on NX-L without vignetting.
I think the Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art lens could work fine, getting a nearly 35mm 1.4! But I did not test it.

I can confirm that the sigma 30mm f1.4 art gets very minimal to no vignetting when using it on my sony a7sii in video mode, I use it a fair bit with the a7sii (there is little bit more vignetting in 4:3 photos though)

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Brian Caldwell said:

Just a small correction to Andrew's article:  All of the one-stop Speed Boosters sold by Metabones are 0.71x, not 0.74x.  Note that a full stop is 1/(SQRT(2)) = 0.71.

Ah OK I'll correct it. Not sure why I remembered the 0.74x figure!

On 6/28/2017 at 2:39 AM, lucabutera said:

I am very honored by Andrew's review.
Some fast Aps-c lenses could work on NX-L without vignetting.
I think the Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art lens could work fine, getting a nearly 35mm 1.4! But I did not test it.

I just bought the Sigma 30mm 1.4 to use with a speedbooster on my GH5.

It works great on that, but I'm afraid the vignette is too heavy when used with the NX-L.

You can crop in in post but I find it's too much hassle to be doing that for every shot.

This shot is with no vignette correction. Even set at 100 in Lightroom, it's unfortunately still present.

SAM_2933.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did send 

13 hours ago, Laser Blue said:

Hi. I facebook messenger messaged Luca. He replied. Asked him how to pay. Hasn't replied to that question. keessie65, how did you place the order? The crowdfund is closed. SUPER EXCITED TO PURCHASE AN NX-L (or two!)

I just send a message to Luca with messenger (facebook), did you do that also? ... at friday I received the NXL and I will post some pictures later. But I have to say, it's well build and the first pictures I have taken were very impressive.

@lucabutera

Are you still working on an electronic version? You might consider crowd-funding that one too as I'm sure there would be a lot of interest! 

The Aputure DEC modded one was pretty cool to see (although it looks like it rules out using the NX1 Battery Grip). A full-on electronic one connected to the camera body with AF functionality would be awesome, and would instantly make the NX1 a top-class full-frame camera. 

Hey Sammy fans. I'm just wondering if anybody has been able to successfully use any contax/yashica glass with the NX-L? I would just really love to see what my Planar 50mm 1.7 looks like with that beautiful expanded field of view. I've tried a couple different adaptors and suffered the same problem -- they'll mate to the lens just fine, or to the speedbooster just fine, but never together, something catches somehow, can't really tell what, and I can't get it properly mounted. Just wondering if it's an impossibility or if anybody has gotten these awesome lenses to work. 

2 hours ago, Parker said:

Hey Sammy fans. I'm just wondering if anybody has been able to successfully use any contax/yashica glass with the NX-L? I would just really love to see what my Planar 50mm 1.7 looks like with that beautiful expanded field of view. I've tried a couple different adaptors and suffered the same problem -- they'll mate to the lens just fine, or to the speedbooster just fine, but never together, something catches somehow, can't really tell what, and I can't get it properly mounted. Just wondering if it's an impossibility or if anybody has gotten these awesome lenses to work.

Hello Parker, what problem with C/Y lenses?

On 31/7/2017 at 9:14 AM, Caleb Genheimer said:
On 31/7/2017 at 9:14 AM, Caleb Genheimer said:

@lucabutera

Are you still working on an electronic version? You might consider crowd-funding that one too as I'm sure there would be a lot of interest! 

The Aputure DEC modded one was pretty cool to see (although it looks like it rules out using the NX1 Battery Grip). A full-on electronic one connected to the camera body with AF functionality would be awesome, and would instantly make the NX1 a top-class full-frame camera. 

What do you mean for:  "A full-on electronic one connected to the camera body with AF functionality"?