Samsung NX Speed Booster

lucabutera

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/21/2017 at 11:27 AM, Arikhan said:

@Kisaha

"The reality is max. 1080p."

Sorry, I'm not a professional film maker or gear expert, but please permit me to ask anyways; if your final product is delivered in maximum 1080p, does that mean all of your raw footage should also be filmed at a maximum of 1080p, and your camera should have a maximum resolution of 1080p for video?

I know I've captured a few stills from video from my nx1, and I was very happy that I used 4k video for that particular video, because it allowed me to get stills that are actually of high enough quality to use, whereas in some of my older cameras stills captured from video were basically useless.

The same is true of video editing.  Sometimes I zoom in or crop video, or simply align it to the horizon by rotating and cropping, with 1080p footage and losing some data through cropping/zooming the resulting image, if filmed at 1080 or lower, is it then less than 1080 and upscaled during processing?  If that is how it works, is that the preferred method and I'm doing it wrong?

So, i guess what I'm asking, is it really a waste of time to have capabilities in a camera beyond the requirements of the final product, or does it add versatility in editing?

24 minutes ago, xanderman said:

Sorry, I'm not a professional film maker or gear expert, but please permit me to ask anyways; if your final product is delivered in maximum 1080p, does that mean all of your raw footage should also be filmed at a maximum of 1080p, and your camera should have a maximum resolution of 1080p for video?

I know I've captured a few stills from video from my nx1, and I was very happy that I used 4k video for that particular video, because it allowed me to get stills that are actually of high enough quality to use, whereas in some of my older cameras stills captured from video were basically useless.

The same is true of video editing.  Sometimes I zoom in or crop video, or simply align it to the horizon by rotating and cropping, with 1080p footage and losing some data through cropping/zooming the resulting image, if filmed at 1080 or lower, is it then less than 1080 and upscaled during processing?  If that is how it works, is that the preferred method and I'm doing it wrong?

So, i guess what I'm asking, is it really a waste of time to have capabilities in a camera beyond the requirements of the final product, or does it add versatility in editing?

Recording at the best possible quality is obviously better - if it's available to you. The NX1 doesn't record a clean 1080p image, meaning downsampling a 4K image will result in a cleaner 1080p image...

• 2 weeks later...

@sondreg What do you mean "the NX1 doesn't record a clean 1080p image", its 1080p is just fine, better than most. Have you seen the soft Canon 1080p (with no 4K option anyway), GH4 (which is similar to NX1), the terrible a6300/a6500? Plus, it has the lowest possible rolling shutter of any of those cameras.

Filming performances, 1080p of NX1/NX500 are better than a lot of other cameras I have used, and it is not possible for me to have 5-8 4K cameras for 200 minutes of show, I would need a house of hard drives only for the footage and a backup.

It is always better to downsize from 4K(UHD) to 1080p, true, but the 4K rolling shutter in most hybrid cameras (except GH5 maybe) is terrible, and for most instances (home videos that never will be edited, big performances/live video that last too long) it is just easier, more manageable, less expensive to just shoot 1080p.

But yes, if you shoot 4K/UHD and downsize to 1080p, you are definitely have a quality advantage.

Do not forget, that this is the ONLY method of shooting video with a6300/a6500 cameras, as their 1080p video is worst, even to the a6000's one, so having the 1080p of NX1 I consider it a bonus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/10/2017 at 2:42 PM, GXAlan said:

I am going to be exiting out of the NX system and was Backer #1 for the Nxl.  If anyone is interested, let me know before I start posting it on the usual for sale forums.  I am based in the USA.

Hey Alan, do you still have the NXL for sale? Im in NJ and would be interested in acquiring it. Let me know.

• Administrators

I am super impressed with what Luca has done with the NXL.

He's sent me one for review!

It is super sharp and cinematic. Has the full frame look completely. Trying it with the Canon 35mm F2.0L IS but will also use it with the 50mm F1.2L... Big low light boost to the NX1!

L9990033.JPG

@Andrew Reid Awesome! Can't wait to see what you do with the NX-L. Since I got mine I really haven't been tempted by any other cameras. Shooting wide open on a fast lens with the speedbooster, I haven't needed anything faster than ISO 1600. Having basically full frame 120p in high bitrate h.265 really gives this camera some legs. 

On 6/26/2017 at 10:44 AM, noplz said:

You're in luck mate, looks like the gen2 is just finished and available from the creator (luca) here:

https://m.facebook.com/NXL-284084538620105/

I definitely would love to acquire one for my NX1, but the comments here showing people ordering in February and 5 months later not having their NXL delivered yet have kept me hesitant to purchase on the crowdfunding site:

https://www.produzionidalbasso.com/project/samsung-nx-camera-to-full-frame-with-nxl-adapter/

If I was to buy it this week, I would want it by next week. If that can be guaranteed by buying it used, I felt like that was a safer bet. I must admit though, I am torn by the details of the new revision. I shoot regularly with my NX1. If I could effectively turn it into a full frame equivalent, I'd buy a 2nd body for my social media video ads business.I shoot in low light often and to have the extra stop is a gamechanger:

I also shoot a lot of real estate spots. Having the wider field of view along with a wide angle lens would really help me get better results for my clients:

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am super impressed with what Luca has done with the NXL.

He's sent me one for review!

It is super sharp and cinematic. Has the full frame look completely. Trying it with the Canon 35mm F2.0L IS but will also use it with the 50mm F1.2L... Big low light boost to the NX1!

L9990033.JPG

I would really like to see the video from the NX1/NX-L combo paired with a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art Lens. Is there any way you can make that happen Andrew?

11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 isn't a full frame lens so you would get vignetting!

I wasn't sure how bad it would be considering the NX-L doesn't give you a true full frame image. Also, I have an NX500 which has a digital crop on 4k. Wasn't sure how it would look on that either. 

• Administrators

NX-L is a 1.08x crop over full frame, which is nothing.

APS-C is 1.5x crop!

On the NX500, that had a 2.3x-ish crop in 4K, so with the NX-L that turns into a 1.6x crop, which would be fine with the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8. Come to think of it, that's a pretty nice combination :)