Samsung NX Speed Booster

lucabutera

So I was not quite sure about what went on so I read it 3 times now, so as far as I understand Luca you are using the Samsung 30mm lens to make some form of super Techart Pro adapter for Canon EF mount but also works with old lenses or is it just a EF to NX mount but with similar properties to a Techart Pro?

The 16-50mm F/2-2.8 lens is great but my biggest issue is its heavy weight, huge size for its calibre compared to a Sony 16-50mm F/2.8 which I fell in love with but only works with A-mounts.

I also think people have misconception of autofocus in Samsung lenses, only the S lenses work the best, all the other are okayish to good, a lot of the older Samsung zoom lenses are pretty slow and inaccurate most of the time because they are old and were intended for older autofocus methods Samsung used.
Expecting Canon to work as good as S lenses on Samsung NX1 and NX500 is theoretically impossible.

But the 30mm Luca showed has good speed, it would be interesting to see it in action with video.

However Luca, I think you should clarify better what type of smart adapter you are trying to make, fuck the price right now, what exactly will it do and what will it be for?
Because I think there is some misconception out there that must be cleared out.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, lucabutera said:

Hello Arikhan,

There is a similar adapter on the market, is the Techart Pro, and when I asked what kind of adapter did have rated this.

However, even the Techart Pro has a motherboard that interprets the Sony commands and this could cause problems or slowdowns.
The Samsung adapter instead working on an original motherboard, the camera will believe more and work on a Sasmung lens, and in fact, it is so.
All focusing functions remain original, tracking, one touch, etc ..
I tested the 30mm lens VS S 16-50 lens, the difference in speed is very low and rarely wrong.
it is as if possessed a built-in camera autofocus system.

I like constructive dialogue, talk ttbek, OttoK, Kinoseed is always a pleasure, the differences in points of view is a good thing, it helps to improve, but I can not stand when someone just likes talking nonsense, give direction (as dictator) of as it should be, the size, the color, the weight, the power supply, the functions, as it would want to pay for it.
These useless and boring speeches by jerks, do not help me, they are like a fly that runs near ear, if you do not like my idea or not you like my work you can look elsewhere, which is why I recommended to change topic.

Soon I will publish a video of speed comparison of focus between 30mm F.2 and 16-50 S.

So you're calling me a jerk for saying that this direction would not satisfy my needs? You're very rude.

1 hour ago, SMGJohn said:

So I was not quite sure about what went on so I read it 3 times now, so as far as I understand Luca you are using the Samsung 30mm lens to make some form of super Techart Pro adapter for Canon EF mount but also works with old lenses or is it just a EF to NX mount but with similar properties to a Techart Pro?

The 16-50mm F/2-2.8 lens is great but my biggest issue is its heavy weight, huge size for its calibre compared to a Sony 16-50mm F/2.8 which I fell in love with but only works with A-mounts.

I also think people have misconception of autofocus in Samsung lenses, only the S lenses work the best, all the other are okayish to good, a lot of the older Samsung zoom lenses are pretty slow and inaccurate most of the time because they are old and were intended for older autofocus methods Samsung used.
Expecting Canon to work as good as S lenses on Samsung NX1 and NX500 is theoretically impossible.

But the 30mm Luca showed has good speed, it would be interesting to see it in action with video.

However Luca, I think you should clarify better what type of smart adapter you are trying to make, fuck the price right now, what exactly will it do and what will it be for?
Because I think there is some misconception out there that must be cleared out.

What I can do is an AF Adapter like Techart Pro but with opening control function and stabilizer for Canon EF lenses.

Autofocus S Samsung lenses in M mode (for instance the one with the center pane), is not much different as speed and accuracy than 30mm lens.

With Canon lens aperture control would be directly from the camera (without external control).

You can not have conversion data from Samsung camera in Canon lenses. This would involve major compatibility problems, errors and continuous crash.

This system is 100% safe, with 100% lenses compatibility, including M42 and old manual lenses.

Only fault, you can not merge with NXL due to the bulkiness of the motherboard.

you have other questions?

It is definitely an interesting concept and quite orignal, I have never heard an already existed lens working as a Trojan Horse to conquer NX adaptation.

Something that worrys me is, if I have understand correctly!-if the AF motors of the 30mm are enough to move bigger and heavier lenses, and the already 200€ price of the 30mm, maybe a 20mm which is slightly bigger and cheaper can be a better choice, and so on and so forth!

In anyway, whatever Luca can do is a bonus, and I am of no capacity to judge someone that has, and still offers so much to this system.

In the end, one can choose not to buy something that don't fit his/her needs.

@lucabutera so the Aputure and active NX-L projects are canceled?

42 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

It is definitely an interesting concept and quite orignal, I have never heard an already existed lens working as a Trojan Horse to conquer NX adaptation.

Something that worrys me is, if I have understand correctly!-if the AF motors of the 30mm are enough to move bigger and heavier lenses, and the already 200€ price of the 30mm, maybe a 20mm which is slightly bigger and cheaper can be a better choice, and so on and so forth!

In anyway, whatever Luca can do is a bonus, and I am of no capacity to judge someone that has, and still offers so much to this system.

In the end, one can choose not to buy something that don't fit his/her needs.

@lucabutera so the Aputure and active NX-L projects are canceled?

Thank you for your interest.

actually the 30mm electric motor is powerful enough, I use it with anamorphot lens that weighs over 300 grams without problems, but more than 600 grams could start giving problems, which is why I want to build a system with guides in linear bearings, for reduce friction and facilitate sliding of the lens.

No, NXL-A is the best full frame Canon lens control system for directors and film makers who shoot with Samsung nx1 camera.
It also keeps them alive yet these cameras ...
It will be ready in about two weeks and I'll build a dumb NXL version with the predisposition for the hardware and an already modified version.

8 hours ago, lucabutera said:

What I can do is an AF Adapter like Techart Pro but with opening control function and stabilizer for Canon EF lenses.

Autofocus S Samsung lenses in M mode (for instance the one with the center pane), is not much different as speed and accuracy than 30mm lens.

With Canon lens aperture control would be directly from the camera (without external control).

You can not have conversion data from Samsung camera in Canon lenses. This would involve major compatibility problems, errors and continuous crash.

This system is 100% safe, with 100% lenses compatibility, including M42 and old manual lenses.

Only fault, you can not merge with NXL due to the bulkiness of the motherboard.

you have other questions?

Thank you for answering my question.

I like this a lot more than the original suggested things. I personally think people expect too much even Metabones do not work as well as people claim it does, (personal experience) non speedbooster support would not be an issue as there are a ton of Canon EF APS-C lenses out there anyway.

SMNJohn, Again, I never said that metabones' adapter is better than Luca's. I simply said that ** for my personal needs ** a metabones alike adapter would be much better. Please don't read in my words something that it's not there.

Also, claiming that AF speed of 30mm is about the same as 16-50 S lens, in my own experience (and according to the many users that posted, eg on DPR) is totally wrong. The 30mm lens is in my experience the slowest focusing lens of the NX ones, while the 16-50S is possibly the faster along with the other S lens and the wide ones (10mm and 12-24mm).

Last, I never asked for a EF lens to be on NX as fast as native NX lenses. I asked for a EF lens to be as fast as it would be on a Canon body (since that's my present alternative for long tele, against which I'll compare both performance and prices).

5 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

SMNJohn, Again, I never said that metabones' adapter is better than Luca's. I simply said that ** for my personal needs ** a metabones alike adapter would be much better. Please don't read in my words something that it's not there.

Also, claiming that AF speed of 30mm is about the same as 16-50 S lens, in my own experience (and according to the many users that posted, eg on DPR) is totally wrong. The 30mm lens is in my experience the slowest focusing lens of the NX ones, while the 16-50S is possibly the faster along with the other S lens and the wide ones (10mm and 12-24mm).

Last, I never asked for a EF lens to be on NX as fast as native NX lenses. I asked for a EF lens to be as fast as it would be on a Canon body (since that's my present alternative for long tele, against which I'll compare both performance and prices).

I think you are misunderstanding, I am not referring to you at all. 
The 30mm is still fast AF, I am interested in how it would work with continuous autofocus specially video. 
Metabones are overrated all over the internet, my reference was towards the internet in general. 

Tonight I want to test the speed focus of 16-50 F.2-2.5 S and the 30mm F.2 pancake.

The test was performed as follows:

- Camera Samsung NX1 in M mode - 1/60 - F.2.5 - ISO 800 - 30mm focal
- Subject illuminated with low artificial lights, subject distance 1mt;
- Before shooting I prepared the objective by changing the focus of the lens;
- At the stroke of 5/2 of the time trial I I pressed the shutter button.

This test is not scientific, because my reflexes can alter the result, it is only a test in the real world, but what I discovered was shocking!

The first shot to win the 16-50 S that has passed the 30mm well 0.40 tenths of a second, but for security I wanted to repeat the test by turning the phone horizontally and I could not believe my eyes.
Not only did the 16-50 was slower than 30mm but also has the wrong focus for two consecutive times !!
At this point I wanted to repeat the test with smartphone horizontal but again the 30mm was more accurate and fast and the 16-50 S missed the target.

I do not know what to think, maybe 16 50 S is faster when used on shorter as 16mm focal, possibly with daily lights the result could be overturned but to date the 30mm F.2 won both the target speed in focusing on the targeted subject and also the skill in not miss the shot.

First time.

16-50mm S (fast focus 0,40 sec. but no perfect shoot - watch Wiko logo)

SAM_2101.JPG

30mm 0,80 sec. but nice focus

SAM_2102.JPG

Second Time, turn the smartphone

30mm 0,92 sec. to focus

SAM_2104.JPG

16-50mm S 0,98 sec to focus (0,06 more and wrong focus)

SAM_2105.JPG

Last Time

Turn the smartphone and try again with 16-50mm S 0,70 sec. to focus and misses the shot again!

SAM_2106.JPG

30mm 0,54 sec. and perfect shoot. SAM_2107.JPG

The 30mm F.2 Pancake, in this no scientific focus test, win 3 on 3.

@lucabutera

Thank you for the helpful test!

We have to consider that

• AF speed != AF accuracy - so your test is not surprising for me ( I can't check this, because I don't own the 30mm Samsung lens)
  • In video (CAF) it's much more important to lock on accurately and keep focus than fastly lock on and miss focus

Thanks again!

Additional thought: As I can see, the lighting situation you use could be a little bit challenging for the NX1, as the behaviour and IQ of the NX1 in quite decent light and decent contrast are sometimes a miserable failure. So if you do your test in nearly perfect situations like day light and normal contrast, you could get completely different results for the same test. My experience after about 25.000 still shots with the NX1...

In very decent light and contrast, the NX1 misses oftenly focus (and mostly IQ) when fast AF lock on with moving subjects is needed (still photography) - nothing comparable with other APS-C cameras like the D7200 or the D500. This camera's focusing capabilities and IQ are really very dependent of the amount of light it receives and contrasts it's faced with...Much more than any other "quality camera" with APS-C sensor size...

I think the speed difference comes down to the fact that the motor in the 30mm has only a fixed focal length to move while the 16-50mm is a zoom and zoom lenses are ALWAYS slower than quality prime lenses, and yes Luca is right the zoom is slower at 50mm than it is on 16mm because the motor must move the zoom more at the longer ranges than it will have to in the wider ones. 

It be interesting to see how it acts as an adapter though.

10 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

I think the speed difference comes down to the fact that the motor in the 30mm has only a fixed focal length to move while the 16-50mm is a zoom and zoom lenses are ALWAYS slower than quality prime lenses, and yes Luca is right the zoom is slower at 50mm than it is on 16mm because the motor must move the zoom more at the longer ranges than it will have to in the wider ones. 

It be interesting to see how it acts as an adapter though.

This is all to try, I'm sure you will differrent performance with different lenses.
The focus speed depend on the glass quality and the weight of the lens.

I must say I'm surprised by anything other 30mm f.2 who initially had given for losing.

I repeated the test with day light, the result was that on three shots he took in the 16-50 S 0,45 sec.  0.30 sec. and 0.36 sec. but on three shots only once he take the target.
The 30mm took the shot in 0.96 and 0.83, but always perfectly centered focus.

My conclusions are that the 30mm is a lens with excellent optical quality and decent quality focus, the engine is a little noisy but accurate.
The 16-50 S is a lens all do great, it has an excellent quality and an ultrasonic motor, fast and quiet, however this speed pays worth less accuracy.

This is only my opinion, based on practical and not scientific tests.

I am wondering, what is more profitable to make an EF lens to NX camera adapter, or to make a NX lens to X camera adapter, where X can be Canon M/Sony/m43, whatever really.

An NX to X adapter can create a whole new market for the many NX lenses on ebay and can keep our investment much stronger than the opposite.

Next year, NX1 will be almosy obsolete, Canon and Fuji will be very close, or will surpass it, Sony A7markIII or A9 will surely will be the best Sonys ever, and they already sell quite well, Panasonic will have a cheaper version of GH5 before Christmas, etc

while the unique and under-respected NX lenses will still perform great, for a great price.

16-50S is unique among ALL systems, 10mm unique in APS-C mirrorless world, 30mm, 45mm, 60macro and 85mm among the top on their respected classes, 12-24 + 50-200 some of the best cheap zooms I have ever used, the pz is 5 times better than the Sony one (and no Canonikon equivalent) and so on and so forth.