Samsung NX Speed Booster

lucabutera

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@sondreg and @Kisaha and others have expressed that I share some of my work with the NX-L. Obviously Enna is probably going to supply us with a sweet review, but I guess I can post some of my work with it so far as well. I've shot tons of stills with it (if people want to see some of those, let me know) as well as several video projects that I can't really release yet since I'm still in post with the clients, but here's one I can realease that I shot entirely on the NX-L (except for the wide angle/gimbal stuff, that was a NX500 and 12mm on a zhiyun crane), but apart from that everything in this video shot with the NX-L and rokinon 85mm. At the very least it shows off the dreamy full-frame look the NX-L provides as well as clearly maintaining sharpness and detail. I'm also happy to answer any questions. Once again, @lucabutera has done an absolutely amazing job with this wonderful piece of kit. Anyway, here's the vid: 

I am watching in 2K, and everything seems just right! The only thing I can't explain, is a slight "tremble" in the stabilizer shots, is this the Crane or warp stabilizer?

Luca for sure did a great job, and over-achieve; where Metabones people said it wasn't even possible.

Bravo Luca! You beat a whole world leading company on your own!

I have an unusual request, can you upload a picture of the NX500/12mm? It must be a really interesting pair, especially for gimbal work, but for B cam as well.

Thanks for posting.

4 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

The saga continues he just dropped a Unboxing video for NX-L that thing is some serious engineering! (make sure to put subtitles to English)

3 hours ago, Parker said:

@sondreg and @Kisaha and others have expressed that I share some of my work with the NX-L. Obviously Enna is probably going to supply us with a sweet review, but I guess I can post some of my work with it so far as well. I've shot tons of stills with it (if people want to see some of those, let me know) as well as several video projects that I can't really release yet since I'm still in post with the clients, but here's one I can realease that I shot entirely on the NX-L (except for the wide angle/gimbal stuff, that was a NX500 and 12mm on a zhiyun crane), but apart from that everything in this video shot with the NX-L and rokinon 85mm. At the very least it shows off the dreamy full-frame look the NX-L provides as well as clearly maintaining sharpness and detail. I'm also happy to answer any questions. Once again, @lucabutera has done an absolutely amazing job with this wonderful piece of kit. Anyway, here's the vid: 

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

I am watching in 2K, and everything seems just right! The only thing I can't explain, is a slight "tremble" in the stabilizer shots, is this the Crane or warp stabilizer?

Luca for sure did a great job, and over-achieve; where Metabones people said it wasn't even possible.

Bravo Luca! You beat a whole world leading company on your own!

I have an unusual request, can you upload a picture of the NX500/12mm? It must be a really interesting pair, especially for gimbal work, but for B cam as well.

Thanks for posting.

Thank you all! If today some of us have a chance to see samsung nx1 with full frame eye is thanks to your financial support.

12 hours ago, Parker said:

I've shot tons of stills with it (if people want to see some of those, let me know)

@Parker  I would love to see some of the stills you shot with the NX-L.  I think, just maybe, it makes the NX1 quite viable as a wedding camera.  Please share any shots you can along with the lens used.

Also, nice wedding video!

@timmyturntable thanks! I'll upload a few stills when I get home today. For me one of the most exciting parts of the NX-L is just being able to see the edges of my glass, since that's where the character really lives, especially on vintage lenses, i.e. more swirly bokeh with lenses like the helios 44-2, etc. 

@Kisaha thanks! Always a little nerve wracking showing work on a forum full of filmmakers and camera enthusiasts ha. I was just thrilled to be able to capture those wide shots at the beginning while still maintaining a shallow depth of field, really helps with the dreaminess and wide-open look I was going for. The slight tremble you see was totally user error with the gimbal, I hadn't had my crane very long when I shot that and I had it balanced completely wrong. It's working much better now. As far as the NX500 and 12mm, what would you like to see, just a picture of the camera and the lens together, or examples I've shot with that combination?

Hey everyone, I'm mostly quite happy with the NX-L, but it has a problem with telephotos >~100mm.  I'm not sure if it is something avoidable with the design or not (probably not without using something other than glass?), but it has very strong vignetting in the corners, with my 70-300 (not really noticeable <100 but definitely there by 150), my 400 (5.6), my other 400 (2.8 and the issue is a bit less severe), my 500, and gets worse of course when used with a TC.  Sharpness is actually rather good.  I know I should still give you guys a more full review, we'll see how my time in the next few days.  One thing that I'm not sure if it has any noticeable effect yes is that there is some play int the part that rotates, the rotation is essentially fine I think, but I mean it can be move in and out ever so slightly, is the same on both copies.  Found a few interesting flares, but that lens may flare like that anyway, I haven't done a side by side sort of flare test (NX1+NX-L+lens vs. 5DSR+lens) yet. 

https://www.produzionidalbasso.com/project/samsung-nx-camera-to-full-frame-with-nxl-adapter/

15 hours ago, ttbek said:

Hey everyone, I'm mostly quite happy with the NX-L, but it has a problem with telephotos >~100mm.  I'm not sure if it is something avoidable with the design or not (probably not without using something other than glass?), but it has very strong vignetting in the corners, with my 70-300 (not really noticeable <100 but definitely there by 150), my 400 (5.6), my other 400 (2.8 and the issue is a bit less severe), my 500, and gets worse of course when used with a TC.  Sharpness is actually rather good.  I know I should still give you guys a more full review, we'll see how my time in the next few days.  One thing that I'm not sure if it has any noticeable effect yes is that there is some play int the part that rotates, the rotation is essentially fine I think, but I mean it can be move in and out ever so slightly, is the same on both copies.  Found a few interesting flares, but that lens may flare like that anyway, I haven't done a side by side sort of flare test (NX1+NX-L+lens vs. 5DSR+lens) yet. 

This is strange, I test it with 70-200 Canon, you've tried to remove the lens hood?

Double checked again without the lens hoods, it doesn't start suddenly but starts becoming noticeable around 150mm on my Tamron 70-300. By 300 it is clear and obvious, on the 400 f/5.6 the corners become almost completely dark.  Different lens designs may make it show more or less, for example it definitely shows less on the 400 f/2.8 than on the 400 f/5.6.  I'll try to post sample pics sometime later today. 

5 hours ago, ttbek said:

Double checked again without the lens hoods, it doesn't start suddenly but starts becoming noticeable around 150mm on my Tamron 70-300. By 300 it is clear and obvious, on the 400 f/5.6 the corners become almost completely dark.  Different lens designs may make it show more or less, for example it definitely shows less on the 400 f/2.8 than on the 400 f/5.6.  I'll try to post sample pics sometime later today. 

This is possible, each lens has a different design in its interior.
I have never encountered this problem.
Have you tried the lens with Canon 5Ds? No problem vignetting with it?

Canon 5D MKIII VS Samsung NX1 + NXL (Cropping Test)!

Immagine.jpg

SAM_19010.jpg

@ttbek @lucabutera For what it's worth, I did notice some similar vignetting with the NX-L on my old nikkor 80-200 when I briefly messed around with it the other day, which surprised me. I have not ever used the lens on a full frame before, so I wasn't sure if maybe it was just the character of the glass, which could be the case. I don't really ever use focal lengths much longer than 85mm anyway. But just my two cents. 

For a 150mm or greater tele-photo, I wouldn't use a speed booster like the NXL. The wider field of view would be counter productive to getting longer reach... and at that focal length shallow DOF isn't a problem.

If you REALLY want the NXL on a long tele-photo with vignetting, medium format lenses would be a sweet solution. To learn more about those, check out this old blog post by Frank Glencairn: https://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/vintage-zeiss-glass-on-modern-cameras/