Samsung NX Speed Booster

lucabutera

4 hours ago, carlic said:

I would love to order one, but from the lack of sample photos is really hard to jump the gun. Can you paste more comparisons raws or send one to someone for a review?
Its hard to rely on early adopters to make and post tests. Thanks!

Hi Carlic, certainly, what kind of picture you would like I posted?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
57 minutes ago, lucabutera said:

Hi Carlic, certainly, what kind of picture you would like I posted?

One with 50mm an aperture wide open and a subject in the foreground for like portrait work and bokeh representation. 
One shot with a lot of detail across the frame at its sharpest aperture, to judge edge to edge sharpness.
One contrasty with hard light in the background and wide open to check for any possible additional chromatic aberrations. Like through the fine braches of trees against the sun or such. 
Any additional example is a good example really. 

Thanks!

On 10/1/2016 at 0:22 AM, lucabutera said:

Hi Sidi, thanks for your advice but this would be the good news, "Samsung finds interest in the NX system after months of silence!

They sue me for similar mark, and I sue them for selling me a new camera and closed production after six months!!!!!

I don't think it works that way...

On 4/10/2016 at 8:46 PM, carlic said:

One with 50mm an aperture wide open and a subject in the foreground for like portrait work and bokeh representation. 
One shot with a lot of detail across the frame at its sharpest aperture, to judge edge to edge sharpness.
One contrasty with hard light in the background and wide open to check for any possible additional chromatic aberrations. Like through the fine braches of trees against the sun or such. 
Any additional example is a good example really. 

Thanks!

Hallo Carlic, these is a quick tests.
All shot at full aperture, lens Canon 50mm 1.8 (old series), the focus is always at the center of the picture.

Raw files:

SAM_0595.dng

SAM_0597.dng

SAM_0600.dng

SAM_0600.jpg

SAM_0595.jpg

SAM_0597.jpg

On 10/4/2016 at 2:23 PM, Marco Tecno said:

Any news about your attempt with nx to canon protocol conversion? Thx.

Not good news :P  First I tried with Canon 40mm pancake, the lens wasn't responding at all, I suspect that the protocol has expanded a bit.  Spent that weekend trying to get any kind of response to no avail.  Good-ish news, during the week I tried the 28-135 and there is definitely movement in the lens, but I've had no time to explore further.  It seems like I might need to get a logic analyzer to have a shot at it working with newer Canon lenses.  If anyone wants to leapfrog me, there is someone that claims to have made such a working adapter for basic manual control using buttons on the adapter for focus and aperture, and was actually using it on NX. 

Scroll way down to the post by a Peter S on January 2, 2012 at 14:15

https://pickandplace.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/canon-ef-s-protocol-and-electronic-follow-focus/

Need to adapt that code to Arduino Nano when I get a chance, very similar microcontroller used in his project. 

http://blueringlab.com/2016/03/canon-ef-lens-aperture-control-test/

It's too bad he didn't post that code, the answer to his unresolved precise aperture setting is in Peter's post. 

http://howiem.com/wordpress/index.php/2016/07/07/motion-control-canon-ef-lens-hacking/

Is an informative post, he also has code available, but it is a bit different, being driven from a connected computer rather than a microcontroller, etc.. but still possibly useful. 

In my searching about, it seems that almost everything the public knows about the EF protocol originates from this German thread:

http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.php?t=649529&page=61

Which is unfortunately a jumbled mess and all the useful compilations of the info some members made seem to be defunct.  Still, it's worth combing through. 

The next step for me I think is to re-verify the physical integrity of my connections, then start working with the 28-135 instead of that obnoxious 40mm.  Not sure 100% about the logic analyzer yet... but since I'm thinking it will be needed eventually I'm starting to feel like I should order one soon.

The NX side is easier and harder.  I think I have quite a bit more concrete information on the protocol, thanks in part to rockymountain's blueringlab site, but this side likely involves fooling the camera about certain aspects of the lens and spoofing lens responses. 

Luca: If I want more than one focal reducer should I donate that number of times?  <- in bold because the site is merging my posts and I thought this should be separate. 

1 hour ago, ttbek said:

Not good news :P  First I tried with Canon 40mm pancake, the lens wasn't responding at all, I suspect that the protocol has expanded a bit.  Spent that weekend trying to get any kind of response to no avail.  Good-ish news, during the week I tried the 28-135 and there is definitely movement in the lens, but I've had no time to explore further.  It seems like I might need to get a logic analyzer to have a shot at it working with newer Canon lenses.  If anyone wants to leapfrog me, there is someone that claims to have made such a working adapter for basic manual control using buttons on the adapter for focus and aperture, and was actually using it on NX. 

https://pickandplace.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/canon-ef-s-protocol-and-electronic-follow-focus/

Need to adapt that code to Arduino Nano when I get a chance, very similar microcontroller used in his project. 

It's too bad he didn't post that code, the answer to his unresolved precise aperture setting is in Peter's post. 

http://howiem.com/wordpress/index.php/2016/07/07/motion-control-canon-ef-lens-hacking/

Is an informative post, he also has code available, but it is a bit different, being driven from a connected computer rather than a microcontroller, etc.. but still possibly useful. 

In my searching about, it seems that almost everything the public knows about the EF protocol originates from this German thread:

Which is unfortunately a jumbled mess and all the useful compilations of the info some members made seem to be defunct.  Still, it's worth combing through. 

The next step for me I think is to re-verify the physical integrity of my connections, then start working with the 28-135 instead of that obnoxious 40mm.  Not sure 100% about the logic analyzer yet... but since I'm thinking it will be needed eventually I'm starting to feel like I should order one soon.

The NX side is easier and harder.  I think I have quite a bit more concrete information on the protocol, thanks in part to rockymountain's blueringlab site, but this side likely involves fooling the camera about certain aspects of the lens and spoofing lens responses. 

Luca: If I want more than one focal reducer should I donate that number of times?  <- in bold because the site is merging my posts and I thought this should be separate. 

Hallo ttbek, I think so. How many NXL you want to take?
If you tell me the number, I can try to adding a multiple rewards.

ttbek, even if I don't understand all the implications in your reply, I see that the task is pretty difficult. I wonder how a small company like metabones could do a Canon (lens) to Sony (body) intelligent adapter from scratch. I mean...how much have they invested in this? I don't think more than those 10.000$ you were ready to put in to develop the Canon to NX adapter. So...what did they do? Which (human and tech) resources did they use?

15 hours ago, ttbek said:

ttbek, even if I don't understand all the implications in your reply, I see that the task is pretty difficult. I wonder how a small company like metabones could do a Canon (lens) to Sony (body) intelligent adapter from scratch. I mean...how much have they invested in this? I don't think more than those 10.000$ you were ready to put in to develop the Canon to NX adapter. So...what did they do? Which (human and tech) resources did they use?

59 minutes ago, Marco Tecno said:

Eeeh?  Even for Metabones 10k is chump change.  10k won't get you a single good developer for 6 months.  I'm certain that at least a few people worked for quite some time on that.  That said, progress would be much faster if I had a 40 hour week to work on this instead of maybe a handful of hours every other weekend or so. 

I don't think full control is necessary for EF.  What you really want is to be able to supply power to the Focus-by-wire and ST-M and then understand the protocol for aperture control (can use the depth-of-field preview).  

It wouldn't be autofocus, but it would be aperture control.  You could then have the battery/controller be something that would mounted to the hotshoe or tripod jack.  That might not be the Holy Grail, but would be step #1 in terms of getting a return-on-investment.

If we look at Luca's NX-L labor of love, he has 4244 euros for the speedbooster.   All of those owners would pay for a semi-smart EF adapter, but the market would be even bigger.  So, I think if we say that EF powered adapter with external aperture control as the intermediate product, it would open the doors.

2 hours ago, ttbek said:

Eeeh?  Even for Metabones 10k is chump change.  10k won't get you a single good developer for 6 months.  I'm certain that at least a few people worked for quite some time on that.  That said, progress would be much faster if I had a 40 hour week to work on this instead of maybe a handful of hours every other weekend or so. 

Ok, probably you are right. I thought that metabones really did the trick by themselves (the two guys behind the company) w/o the help of external developers.

1 hour ago, GXAlan said:

I don't think full control is necessary for EF.  What you really want is to be able to supply power to the Focus-by-wire and ST-M and then understand the protocol for aperture control (can use the depth-of-field preview).  

It wouldn't be autofocus, but it would be aperture control.  You could then have the battery/controller be something that would mounted to the hotshoe or tripod jack.  That might not be the Holy Grail, but would be step #1 in terms of getting a return-on-investment.

If we look at Luca's NX-L labor of love, he has 4244 euros for the speedbooster.   All of those owners would pay for a semi-smart EF adapter, but the market would be even bigger.  So, I think if we say that EF powered adapter with external aperture control as the intermediate product, it would open the doors.

As long as I'm concerned, that won't be enough for me. I'd want the adapter to be able to use 300mm or longer lenses on NX and focusing with "keypresses" would be a pain with those focal lenghts. I need a full AF working and, possibly, also OIS.

Otherwise, I'll have to but a Canon or Nikon, in the future, just to be able to use those FL.

14 hours ago, lucabutera said:

NXL comparision test:

1) Bokeh - with and without NXL;

2) flare - with and without NXL;

3) sharpness - with and without NXL.

Camera, Samung nx1 - lens, Canon 50mm 1.8 - model Bubu.

raw files included.

Great job, thanks! As expected for a wide aperture it is soft with lots of chromattic abberations.
For the sharpnes edge to edge, I meant a shot at the sharpest aperture like f8, you can even use a sharper lens if you have one. 

As for purple fringing I was suprised how much more promemant was with the booster (right), why do you think that is?

fringe.png

On 7.10.2016 at 1:01 AM, ttbek said:

Good-ish news, during the week I tried the 28-135 and there is definitely movement in the lens, but I've had no time to explore further.  It seems like I might need to get a logic analyzer to have a shot at it working with newer Canon lenses.  If anyone wants to leapfrog me, there is someone that claims to have made such a working adapter for basic manual control using buttons on the adapter for focus and aperture, and was actually using it on NX. ng my posts and I thought this should be separate. 

Samyang starts making AF lenses for Canon and Nikon ... and NX1?

5 hours ago, carlic said:

As for purple fringing I was suprised how much more promemant was with the booster (right), why do you think that is?

substandard glass used - quality focal reducers, such as Vixen, use ED glass - for a DIY project, you can try fitting the front element of ZEN ED2 7x36 Binoculars inside an Nikon-NX adapter for use with FF ED lenses from Nikon or Samyang

14 hours ago, carlic said:

Great job, thanks! As expected for a wide aperture it is soft with lots of chromattic abberations.
For the sharpnes edge to edge, I meant a shot at the sharpest aperture like f8, you can even use a sharper lens if you have one. 

fringe.png

Thank you Carlic, what you see is only a perception caused by an increase in brightness, picture 1 (without NXL) and picture 2 (with NXL) have the same purple fringing, no sane photographer would shoot to 1.8 (1.4 with NXL) in the midday sun!
Remember that I am using a Canon 50mm 1.8 cheap lens, it created the purple fringing.SAM_0603_cat2.jpg

I today took a picture at 10:30 morning, when the sun is back my shoulders , always f1.8, no purplue fringing and excellent sharpness.

SAM_0616.jpg

SAM_0616_sharpness.jpg

Raw file : SAM_0616.dng