Samsung NX Speed Booster

lucabutera

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If there is a successfull NXL Smart (Electronic) adapter made, does anyone know a rough price what it could be? I really want to use my NX1 with my canon lenses plus a DJI Ronin. This would come in handy so much for autofocus when using the ronin + I need electronic aperture control for my canon lenses.

So much hard work going into this, Keep up the momentum and we'll keep the interest.

Last thing we want is a new mirrorless to surpass the NX1 as it'll become dead without the NXL Smart.

Good Job Guys!

15 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

Since you can adapt Nikon lenses to Canon bayonet, I bet you'll be able to use Nikon lenses on the NXL speedbooster through another adapter. So NX1+NXL+NikonToCanon :)

Not sure it could be done. The "another" adapter would have to be only 2.5mm thick if I am not mistaken.

7 hours ago, Joe Charlie Obuchowski said:

If there is a successfull NXL Smart (Electronic) adapter made, does anyone know a rough price what it could be? I really want to use my NX1 with my canon lenses plus a DJI Ronin. This would come in handy so much for autofocus when using the ronin + I need electronic aperture control for my canon lenses.

So much hard work going into this, Keep up the momentum and we'll keep the interest.

Last thing we want is a new mirrorless to surpass the NX1 as it'll become dead without the NXL Smart.

Good Job Guys!

https://www.produzionidalbasso.com/project/turn-your-samsung-nx-camera-to-full-frame/

1 hour ago, carlic said:

Not sure it could be done. The "another" adapter would have to be only 2.5mm thick if I am not mistaken.

https://www.produzionidalbasso.com/project/turn-your-samsung-nx-camera-to-full-frame/

39 minutes ago, lucabutera said:

Luca can you explain how is it possible for a single booster/adapter to fit all mounts? Lets set aside the mount geometry details itself, but how do you compensate the different flange-to-sensor distances that different manufacturers use in a single adapter? Or rather why is it (clearly) not an issue in the case of the NX-L?

16 minutes ago, carlic said:

Luca can you explain how is it possible for a single booster/adapter to fit all mounts? Lets set aside the mount geometry details itself, but how do you compensate the different flange-to-sensor distances that different manufacturers use in a single adapter? Or rather why is it (clearly) not an issue in the case of the NX-L?

24 minutes ago, carlic said:

The flange to sensor is specific for each mount. If nxl adapter makes the flange distance equal to that of the canon mount, then all the mounts with a bigger enough distance will be adaptable.

Luca, this is great project!  Although I will not contribute in buying NXL it for now since I do not have other systems lenses other than old Minolta one. But I will try to donate once in a while to keep it moving. By the way you should give more options other then 3 Euros contibution.

Hopefully you will rise enough money to make intelligent adapter.

Definitely getting this adapter when my paycheck arrives, it will help future proof my Samsung so that I may use it 50 years from now on, aah do not worry guys Cannon will still be around making overly expensive cameras with dinosaur sensors and processors adapted from Pentium 2. People will still buy those like hotcakes

5 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

The flange to sensor is specific for each mount. If nxl adapter makes the flange distance equal to that of the canon mount, then all the mounts with a bigger enough distance will be adaptable.

So in order to shoot Nikon glass, you should buy the 17$ adaptor for compensating the flange distance and aperture controll?
But still you can't use modern canon lenses and have aperture controll? 

1 hour ago, carlic said:

So in order to shoot Nikon glass, you should buy the 17$ adaptor for compensating the flange distance and aperture controll?
But still you can't use modern canon lenses and have aperture controll? 

Correct. Those adapters are super cheap too. I already bought all of mine in anticipation of receiving my NX-L. I got a C/Y to EF, Nikon to EF, and M42 to EF, don't think I spent more than $30 for all three. Of course there's still no way to control the aperture of any lens electronically, since it's a dumb adapter, there are no electronics. Hence the need to raise money to try and develop one that does have this feature in the future.

The real "deal" would be an intelligent "canon lens to NX body" adapter (non speedbooster), with a good AF speed, for a price comparable to that of Metabones (which is 399$, about 350€). I'd buy one at day ZERO.

Of course, the choice of having an intelligent speedbooster for canon lenses at a higher price would also be welcome, but I wouldn't probably buy it, since I'm more a still shooter after all, and the APS-c crop is nice for the kind of lenses I'd like to use on my NX1 (mainly 300mm and up).

14 hours ago, Parker said:

Correct. Those adapters are super cheap too. I already bought all of mine in anticipation of receiving my NX-L. I got a C/Y to EF, Nikon to EF, and M42 to EF, don't think I spent more than $30 for all three. Of course there's still no way to control the aperture of any lens electronically, since it's a dumb adapter, there are no electronics. Hence the need to raise money to try and develop one that does have this feature in the future.

Ok. So the possibility of a smart adapter will be considered if and when there is enough funding? And it is not in the developement at the moment?
It would be great if you could buy a dumb adapter now, and later be upgraded to smart. It would help funding too, since the people would not be holding off for the possibilty of a smart one in the near future.

Luca: Sorry, very busy week at work, there's a competition we're participating in so we've been trying to meet those deadlines.  I would look now but I don't have have the software for it on the WIndows side of this computer, promise I'll look before I sleep tonight though. 

carlic: I'm going to try, that's not a question of funding, merely of my free time, my colleague's, and if we have enough info to pull it off.  We finally have the parts to get started but he is sick so I'm not sure if we will take a look tomorrow or put it off until next weekend.  If all people need is aperture control, that is a much easier proposition than the full deal and I believe implementation is available online as code for something like an Arduino.  I have no intent of doing any manufacturing, if I am successful I will post the code, a full component list, recommended tools, etc... so that others can easily do it themselves.  I intend to modify a dumb Canon to NX adapter using contacts from the AF supporting macro extension tubes for both NX and Canon, so a screwdriver, small handsaw, some kind of hotglue or epoxy and those 3 cheap adapters should be all that is needed mechanically.  The whole thing should be doable with < 100 USD even if you don't own any of the tools at the start.  Miniaturizing components or packing it all neatly into a custom adapter body is a different story, maybe Luca would be interested in that portion if we reach that point.  Don't get your hopes too high though, we haven't even really started and it may be quite difficult, we'll see. It's also possible that we face lens by lens challenges, in which case it's not exactly feasible for us to go through every lens on or own, so we would post what lenses it is known to work with and put the code on Github or the like so that others can contribute parameters for their lenses if they figure them out. 

Ttbek said it right! All I need is aperture control, if it is a speedboster, or not, that's second to me. I am not quite following the hype of the "full frame look", actually for video, I am just the opposite. 

On a second consideration though, NX lacks a very good fast ultra wide zoom, (a 3rd S lens 10-18, or even 12-24 with 4f or even better, 2.8f), and speedboster could be godsend for one of the excellent EF ones; add here the opposite angle of this, and people could use the excellent long tele zooms of the EF. That stands for Nikon glass too, just EF protocols are more well documented, and there is some work been done already by our Korean friend.

Plus, you gain some light to try to stay under 1600..