Samsung NX Speed Booster

lucabutera

It is quite a hefty price, but if I can use my vintage Soviet lenses on my NX1, yes baby, worth it for me. 
I have a bunch but I cannot use them because of the crop factor, they are quite soft when you crop.
Originally bought for the Sony A7s which turned out to be utterly junk, only good thing about that camera was the sensitivity, no idea why anyone even likes it or gave it such a good review.

If the smart adapter ever sees light, we can finally use cheaper lenses for NX1, I always wanted a really wide zoom one with 2.8 aperture, but there are none for the Samsung NX1, I have to buy 3 Lenses! Just to get those winder angles than 16mm, ridicules! Even GH4 has a super wide zoom. 

But thanks to Lucabutera, I can invest in more vintage lenses and even if my Samsung NX1 fails one day, I can just buy a much better camera if that hopefully exists in the foreseeable future and still use my lenses! Profit!
Old lenses are really shit with crop factor because they are not as sharp and you always loose that delicious wider range they have, Soviet lenses have really funny distortions which also gets lost when you have a crop. 
But, thanks to Lucabutera, I can enjoy using them now, definitely picking this one up with my Norwegian OIL money.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, lucabutera said:

3d printing professional is the only way for rapid prototyping. I changed at least 10 different forms. I worked on hundredths of a millimeter before finding the correct position. it is thanks to the press 3d if I could achieve a speed booster adapter for samsung nx, inside there is no space for screws or locking flanges, the support of the lenses is a unique piece interlocking. build it and was a puzzle.
You do not know the 3D printer produces turbines for aviation turboprops. you do not even know what you're talking.

follow this link: http://www.selltek.it/stampanti-3d/professionali/pro-x-300/

Ahh I see, I was under the imppresion you are printing plastic parts. From the link provided I understand that you are printing metal. Didn't read into it since I dont speak Italian, but looks similar to laser sintering. So the main body of the booster is printed or the internall smaller parts? 
I am curious why did you decide to 3d print it, since cnc milling can reach under 0.01mm accuracy these days? Is the geometry that complex?

Come on people, give the guy a brake! Let him finish his personal project, and then we can propose improvements or be critical in ergonomics and IQ.

In any way, Luca invests his personal time and money, and it is truly admirable what he has achieved so far (something that even metabones didn't touch). I believe that AFTER the product is finished there are a lot of experimenting and testing to check the real possibilities and improvements of the adapter. I hope someone will take it from there and add electronics, even if it takes a while arduino board on a box somewhere!

41 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Come on people, give the guy a brake! Let him finish his personal project, and then we can propose improvements or be critical in ergonomics and IQ.

In any way, Luca invests his personal time and money, and it is truly admirable what he has achieved so far (something that even metabones didn't touch). I believe that AFTER the product is finished there are a lot of experimenting and testing to check the real possibilities and improvements of the adapter. I hope someone will take it from there and add electronics, even if it takes a while arduino board on a box somewhere!

second that , truely cudos to Luca for taking this of the ground. We should all be thankful that one is taking his personal time and money for the benefit of us all. Cheers.

2 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

second that , truely cudos to Luca for taking this of the ground. We should all be thankful that one is taking his personal time and money for the benefit of us all. Cheers.

Agree.

I am keen for any other info and still have to check this forum :-) - still have to think how it would work with my Canon 50mm 1.4 and 135mm f2.

We should realize that NX1 will become almost fullframe (we still do not know exact crop factor but I think it is around x1.1) also in terms of noise levels - eg. what I know it will be like comparing 5DmkIII on ISO 1600 and NX1 on ISO 800 (there will be more light on sensor so you can use lower ISO with same aperture). So with fast lenses NX 1 should be on pair or better than FF cameras.

Another example - is same situation where you now have to you ISO 1600 you should be fine with ISO 800 (same example for ISO 3200/1600, etc.). Quite important also for video when you can hardly use ISO 3200.

https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=canon_eos5dmkiii&attr13_1=samsung_nx1&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr16_0=1600&attr16_1=800&normalization=full&widget=13&x=0.3153082706766917&y=0.4817380352644836

22 hours ago, carlic said:

I am curious why did you decide to 3d print it, since cnc milling can reach under 0.01mm accuracy these days? Is the geometry that complex?

Setup cost is higher for CNC, plus most shops won't even give a quote below few thousand pcs. CNC gets cheaper with high volume production.

On August 5, 2016 at 3:50 PM, jefbak said:

Very impressive. I emailed Metabones about an EF speedbooster for the NX1 and they said the flange distance was too small to build one.

I dont think they bothered to look into it. The flange distance wont be compatible with certain lenses but not all....they need to take another look at the specs

On August 4, 2016 at 6:19 PM, sandro said:

Honestly if you're a still shooter Samsung NX system is the wrong choice...

Disagree. That Samsung sensor is incredible and works well with adapted lenses

Maybe dumb and little off-topic note:  It would be nice to have conversion (something like dumb extension tube) from NX mount to Sony E mount. That would make possible to use this Luca's Speedbooster someday also with Sony cameras and make it future proof. I think it would be also benefit for Luca: Maybe some Sony users would like idea of SB for mutliple mounts.

I would not think about it if Samsung would not end to produce NX cameras... sadly my NX1 will not work forever :-(

On August 4, 2016 at 8:43 PM, lucabutera said:

Only manual control in this time. Change auto iso and shutter, no iris control with canon lens. Yes focused manualy.

Sorry for the adapters for dummies question, but how is this different from the current cheapo EF adapter I use that also only allows the lens to be used wide open? I really don't like shooting video wide open – controlling the EF aperture is the point isn't it? Or is it the light boost?  What are the features at this stage – more light on the sensor? A change in crop factor? I'm just trying to understand the differences between speedbooster vs electronic controls. 

The manual aperture on that adapter I use is mostly useless for video – you have to zoom in a lot in post to get it out of the shot.

1 hour ago, jefbak said:

A change in crop factor? I'm just trying to understand the differences between speedbooster vs electronic controls. 

Just try to google it http://petapixel.com/2013/01/14/metabones-announces-revolutionary-adaptor-makes-ff-lenses-faster-and-wider/ 

It is similar to your EF to NX adapter but there is optical element that change crop factor from x1.5 to (I believe) x1.1, and you got more light to sensor and shallower depth of field. There is no electronics to control aperture now. Communication between lens and body is different story/project...

7 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I dont think they bothered to look into it. The flange distance wont be compatible with certain lenses but not all....they need to take another look at the specs

Disagree. That Samsung sensor is incredible and works well with adapted lenses

Not because of the sensor but because of the native/AF lenses...I explained it before.

@sandro yeah I read what you said and no offense I think your issue is user error. No AF is perfect and if people are still getting great shots with cameras that have worse AF tech than the nx1 you may want to consider the issues you are having user error and possibly you may want to try using manual focus in certain situations. Thats just my take

41 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@sandro yeah I read what you said and no offense I think your issue is user error. No AF is perfect and if people are still getting great shots with cameras that have worse AF tech than the nx1 you may want to consider the issues you are having user error and possibly you may want to try using manual focus in certain situations. Thats just my take

I'm sorry but in sports manual focus is impossible. 

28 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@sandro I wouldn't rule it out as impossible...wasn't impossible for the 1,000's of sports photographers that came before the invention of digital bodies and AF lenses...

You probably didn't work for the of sport of worked for. Yes it is POSSIBLE but would you use whatever lens adapted on the NX1 and get 90% of shots out of focus just because the NX1 sensor is awesome? Come on... i

Looking forward to buy this baby so much, belive me I wanted this damn thing since I ever looked at the NX1 I almost did not even buy it because Metabones did not have any adapters for it but the specs pushed me.

I honestly never seen a camera system receive so much community support as the NX1 imao. 
Those greedy peckers at Samsung ought to see how much people love their cameras and stop making their damn Galaxy S-infinitiv and make more Smart cameras, Samsung should have made an adapter themselves, I do not understand the reasoning not to, if they did more people would have bought the damn thing. 
Seems counter-productive to me to relay on third party manufacturers to do it for you

@sandro think its a skill level thing bro. A different technique to getting your shots or improving your current one can help....I remember saying you had a problem with getting shots of people skiing....when I was in the navy I was getting shots of fighter jets...in motion with a manual focus lens. If your not getting the shots you need in manual focus and auto focus then yeah I don't think there is any camera or lens combo that can help till you improve your technique

1 minute ago, kidzrevil said:

@sandro think its a skill level thing bro. A different technique to getting your shots or improving your current one can help....I remember saying you had a problem with getting shots of people skiing....when I was in the navy I was getting shots of fighter jets...in motion with a manual focus lens. If your not getting the shots you need in manual focus and auto focus then yeah I don't think there is any camera or lens combo that can help till you improve your technique

I already explained and discussed with you and others in details here and in other threads what the problem was and you compared the shots you took in manual compared to skiers when you a tight plane of focus which is a complete different thing. I shoot manual focus since 12y and I know what I'm talking about.
The NX lens lineup is limited and will never be expanded and the lens available are not as assicurate as DSRL and probably impossible to buy. What is there more to say? I said I personally wouldn't use this system for stills only if planning to use on a variety of situations.

Le'ts just drop this topic, I'm just tired.