A Success Story to Inspire Us All

HelsinkiZim

I make no claims to knowing the guy, being a part of anything other than being his fan for the past 3 years.

He introduced me to blackmagic, because when I searched for blackmagic in 2014 his vimeo channel came up all the time.

He started with, if I remember, the pocket and then moved on to the cinema camea. He built his own light systems and taught himself pseudo 3d animation to complete his money shots. His talent was his wife. Who, if I remember, was a painter or photographer, I don't know, but she was not shy. Yes, it sounds like a 'latching on to success' post, but really, I thought he was very strange. But I wathecd all his early videos like a hawk because he had, what we call, 'talent'. He got hired by some agency based on his shorts and I thought he was gone. Then a week ago I see  promo for a film BASED ON HIS SHORT.

To me, he is an inspiration.

His movie is trending worldwide, its called Lights Out. Look through his videos to find his inspiration.

Here's the profile https://vimeo.com/dauid

Try to watch his behind the scenes if you can where he gets a bit nuts with piping and hardware lighting.

We should support him fully!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, HelsinkiZim said:

I make no claims to knowing the guy, being a part of anything other than being his fan for the past 3 years.

He introduced me to blackmagic, because when I searched for blackmagic in 2014 his vimeo channel came up all the time.

He started with, if I remember, the pocket and then moved on to the cinema camea. He built his own light systems and taught himself pseudo 3d animation to complete his money shots. His talent was his wife. Who, if I remember, was a painter or photographer, I don't know, but she was not shy. Yes, it sounds like a 'latching on to success' post, but really, I thought he was very strange. But I wathecd all his early videos like a hawk because he had, what we call, 'talent'. He got hired by some agency based on his shorts and I thought he was gone. Then a week ago I see  promo for a film BASED ON HIS SHORT.

His movie is trending worldwide, its called Lights Out. Look through his videos to find his inspiration.

Try to watch his behind the scenes if you can where he gets a bit nuts with piping and hardware lighting.

I saw a couple of his Horror Shorts and he is quite talented. He even did the Foley and other bits himself. Very creative indeed. I am definitely looking forward to seeing this.b

Thanks for the link. 

The feature film trailer:

"he used an Alexa for most of it, though some parts were shot with a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera."

^ quote from vimeo. As you can see here:

He comments in the above video:

We had two Alexa XT and shot in raw.

Interesting that Arri raw was chosen over ProRes.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-laff-lights-out-david-sandberg-20160602-snap-story.html

A squeal is already in the works:

http://film-book.com/lights-out-2016-horror-film-to-get-sequel/

3 hours ago, HelsinkiZim said:

He's great!!! 
I love also his BTS!

Sandberg recently gave a 2 hour interview on Indie Film Academy's Podcast. A great interview where he goes in depth of his beginnings in filmmaking and how he rose to direct the feature film version of his award winning short that went viral overnight. He also gives a crap ton of BTS info... Including how he snuck off during break and shot some flashbacks with the BMPCC. 

http://www.indiefilmacademy.com/ifa-49-lights-out-director-david-f-sandberg/

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Sandberg recently gave a 2 hour interview on Indie Film Academy's Podcast. A great interview where he goes in depth of his beginnings in filmmaking and how he rose to direct the feature film version of his award winning short that went viral overnight. He also gives a crap ton of BTS info... Including how he snuck off during break and shot some flashbacks with the BMPCC. 

http://www.indiefilmacademy.com/ifa-49-lights-out-director-david-f-sandberg/

That interview is pure gold! He sounds so humble and surprised on all of what happened after lights out. Really nice.

41 minutes ago, Ivanhurba said:

That interview is pure gold! He sounds so humble and surprised on all of what happened after lights out. Really nice.

Yeah it is a great interview. I really enjoyed learning how he handled the tech and how he and his wife handled the transition to Hollywood and the Los Angeles lifestyle.

25 minutes ago, Liam said:

Wow.. I watched the trailer and the short in broad daylight, on my phone, and was still screaming "oh shit!"

Yeah, I love the simplicity of the short... it is merely circumstantial, but still tells a small story... I compare it to the the joke structure for short films... which I think Sandberg discusses in that interview... it's basically... Setup and Punchline. That short and this interview was one of the final nails in the coffin that got me to buy the BMMCC. For small, contained short films like Lights Out... they're great cameras. I wish I liked them better for larger scale projects.

The only movie that has legitimately terrified me is The Exorcist. I saw it as a kid and it truly left me traumatized. In a way, it was a good thing. Every horror movie since then seems like child's play. I still love em though. And I have difficulty even looking at stills from The Exorcist, even to this day it messes me up. Anyway, thanks to the OP. This is inspiring stuff.

11 hours ago, Flynn said:

The only movie that has legitimately terrified me is The Exorcist. I saw it as a kid and it truly left me traumatized. In a way, it was a good thing. Every horror movie since then seems like child's play. I still love em though. And I have difficulty even looking at stills from The Exorcist, even to this day it messes me up. Anyway, thanks to the OP. This is inspiring stuff.

The Exorcist really is the scariest movie I have ever seen. That movie in 1972 went places that would never even get an R rating today and that was nearly 50 years ago.