NX 500 as a cinema camera

cyril

On 02/08/2016 at 7:43 PM, cyril said:

I was thinking of something like this: 

There is many, many videos with great colors from the bmpcc and the bmcc on internet but I can't find even one from the samsung nx500.

Hey guys, could you post an example of a short shot with NX1 that can come close to this one in terms of image quality. I have a nx1 myself and love it for the details it retains and for the perfect combo of really good stills and decent video, but i find it hard to come close to this organic filmish quality. It's not about resolution, colors and just dynamic range. To be honest i am fine with all on nx1, even its limited dr. But there is something hard to explain, maybe is my poor english, but has to do with an organic look and feel. Maybe with the organic way to render the bokeh. find it hard to get rid of the digital, someone calls it clinical, look out of nx1. Some examples would help. couldn't find myself something really close to this. thx.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

Hey guys, could you post an example of a short shot with NX1 that can come close to this one in terms of image quality. I have a nx1 myself and love it for the details it retains and for the perfect combo of really good stills and decent video, but i find it hard to come close to this organic filmish quality. It's not about resolution, colors and just dynamic range. To be honest i am fine with all on nx1, even its limited dr. But there is something hard to explain, maybe is my poor english, but has to do with an organic look and feel. Maybe with the organic way to render the bokeh. find it hard to get rid of the digital, someone calls it clinical, look out of nx1. Some examples would help. couldn't find myself something really close to this. thx.

in order to achieve this 'organic' look, you may have to trade your NX gear for the €2.500 URSA Mini

http://www.videodata.de/shop/products/de/Kameras-Camcorder/2K-4K/Blackmagic-URSA-4K-Mini-EF.html

8 minutes ago, Sten said:

in order to achieve this 'organic' look, you may have to trade your NX gear for the €2.500 URSA Mini

http://www.videodata.de/shop/products/de/Kameras-Camcorder/2K-4K/Blackmagic-URSA-4K-Mini-EF.html

the video shared was shot with a pocket, so micro would do fine. But i already have the nx1 and i was well aware of the cons and pros and the alternatives. I just needed a camera that can shoot stills that's why i picked nx1. Not to mantion that i bought it for a hard to say no price, here in Dubai. i don't regret, don't get me wrong. I was just wondering how much you can push the footage to get closer to that organic look. I have seen lots of stiils from footage that are nicely graded but haven't seen a film to come close to pocket organic look.

7 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

A lot of the best nx1 shooters here like raised blacks, which can look great, but isn't for everyone. Could be the sharpening you're seeing that you don't like.

This guy's most recent four videos (maybe more) were shot on the nx1, and I love the skintones and colors he achieves - https://vimeo.com/timmyturntable

Probably have to do your own experimenting with LUTs, camera settings, and grading workflow. Maybe vintage lenses or a pro mist filter could help you

@vaga if I have time I will regrade or just upload the original images. If you guys want I can start shooting unedited clips so you can grade em yourself. I dont see any pink/magenta shift. Checked my vectorscopes to be sure and the skintone was on the money. The reddish hue is most likely from the warming filter I use on my lenses but I like it *shrug*. 

Anyway If anyone has any requests on what you want me to shoot let me know. Even if its a specific profile you want me to shoot in like gamma c or gamma dr etc. let me know anything I can do to help

Lol I tried to grade a screenshot using curves, gamma adjustment, etc but it seems I can't get the gray to come all the way down to black without destroying the shadow detail. (I think both the attached examples make for something very visually interesting though).

Yea, generally your skintones are great (including your other videos as well). I think it was pretty much just the second scene where we see the guy wearing his socks where he seems more pink than he probably should be. I like the orange hue :)

Yea I'd love to see some ungraded stuff from you (with all the settings in the description). I love the way a lot of your stuff has looked since you started using cineform

Screenshot_20160821-104532 Color Edit 1.jpg

Screenshot_20160821-104532 Color edit 3.jpg

I guess this is better. Can see the compression artifacts due to the screenshot.

LRM_EXPORT_20160821_125556.jpg

• 3 weeks later...