C300 II & 1DX II: NLP Interview

jcs

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks guys. Good points on moving subjects away from wall re:shadow. The other comment (from DVXUser folks) was to move the lights higher. I started with the lights higher but lowered them as the little LED panels (1 Aputure AL528S and 1 AL528W) with tracing paper for diffusion didn't have enough power relative to the bright daylight coming through the window to sufficiently light the faces. 2 more of these little panels (4 total) would have worked better (2 up higher, 2 lower), or maybe some of the newer high-powered LED spot/Fresnels with umbrellas or other shoot-through large diffusors would work better (and still pack small for travel).

This was a travel shoot in a hotel with only a few minutes of prep before shooting. They came in, sat down, attached the lavs, did a sound check and we rolled. We had the air conditioning turned off and it got really hot really fast (Las Vegas- ~114F outside). We all had to go to class immediately after the interviews (we did one more after Steph & Shay).

I wanted WYSIWYG to take advantage of Canon's great color science, so I didn't use the tweaked custom-curve (log-like) profile I used in the past with the 1DX II. Just the Standard profile with contrast turned all the way down. I originally tweaked the color a bit in post (FCPX), however YouTube cranks the saturation for 4K uploads (some kind of color space issue, there's a thread here about the issue), so the footage is pretty much straight out of camera. The C300 II footage (Jacqui on green screen) is Canon Log 2 (ARRI settings), and adjusted only with the FCP X color board (levels (added contrast) and saturation, that's it (no color shifts or other tweaks).

Regarding lavs- hiding them is a good idea, and I have some Oscar Sound Tech 802s (tiny, flat), however I prefer the sound of the stock Sennheiser's better. The studio shots use boomed Schoeps CMC641 and Audix SCX-1-HC (in a studio environment for voice, they sound very similar despite the huge difference in cost).

On my hardware (4 core MacBook Pro and 12-Core MacPro with GTX980ti) FCPX edits 4K footage much better than Premiere Pro CC. FCPX's keyer (green screen) is also much faster/easier to use than Premiere/Ultra.

Regarding NLP- everyone should learn about what it is and how it works. Mainstream media, corporations, pick up artists, sales people (which is everyone, really), and <INSERT CONSPIRACY THEORY HERE, e.g. MK Ultra> use NLP to influence us, sometimes for good, sometimes for their purposes. Once you learn about NLP, you'll never look at advertising and mainstream media the same again, especially all the election related material.

Additionally, NLP can be used to change one's life for the better, and in an amazingly short amount of time (using for example Time Line Therapy). Most people aren't even aware that they make most of their decisions and behaviors from their unconscious minds.

On 8/2/2016 at 2:10 PM, jcs said:

Regarding NLP- everyone should learn about what it is and how it works. Mainstream media, corporations, pick up artists, sales people (which is everyone, really), and <INSERT CONSPIRACY THEORY HERE, e.g. MK Ultra> use NLP to influence us, sometimes for good, sometimes for their purposes. Once you learn about NLP, you'll never look at advertising and mainstream media the same again, especially all the election related material.

Additionally, NLP can be used to change one's life for the better, and in an amazingly short amount of time (using for example Time Line Therapy). Most people aren't even aware that they make most of their decisions and behaviors from their unconscious minds.

Kool-Aid glass...drank.  Complete.  :)