Ursa mini 4.6K lens options - speed vs stabilization

Benozaur

I'd like to get some insight from the community on EF lens options for the Ursa Mini 4.6K.

I have one on order and am slowly building up UM4.6K rig, coming from a long DSLR background with the NX1 being my go-to camera at the moment.

OK the question is basically for my first EF lens its a toss up between the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM.

I do a lot of handheld stuff and won't have a tripod with me absolutely all the time so my reasoning is that Image stabilization will be critical on the lens that I'm using. The 24-70mm f/4L IS USM has stabilization (and a macro mode too) but at the cost of speed vs the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM without stabilization.

What would you go for, speed vs stabilization. Any insights and broader knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks IronFilm, I'll look into the Tamron lens however on the Blackmagic forum:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45950

This particular lens hasn't recieved much support:

Lens model: Tamron SP 24-70mm Di VC USD Canon Mount AFA007C-700 (Model A007E)
Focal Length: 24mm-70mm
AF works: Yes
Aperture control: Yes
IS works: No
Vignettes: No

Anyway will keep digging - Thanks

On 7/29/2016 at 10:22 AM, Benozaur said:

What would you go for, speed vs stabilization. Any insights and broader knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Obviously you're interested in zooms, but if you want really fast glass with stabilization, Tamron also produces the SP line: 35mm, 45mm & 85mm at f1.8 with their version of IS (VC). Not a lot of use or reviews by cinematographers but they're the fastest full frame lenses in EF mount with image stabilization.

18 hours ago, andrgl said:

Obviously you're interested in zooms, but if you want really fast glass with stabilization, Tamron also produces the SP line: 35mm, 45mm & 85mm at f1.8 with their version of IS (VC). Not a lot of use or reviews by cinematographers but they're the fastest full frame lenses in EF mount with image stabilization.

Thanks - I'll check them out but as it stands at the moment on the Blackmacic forum:

Lens model: Tamron SP AFA012C700 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD (EF Mount)
Focal Length: 15mm-30mm
AF works: No
Aperture control: No (No readout of aperture or control)

Lens model: Tamron SP 24-70mm Di VC USD Canon Mount AFA007C-700 (Model A007E)
Focal Length: 24mm-70mm
AF works: Yes
Aperture control: Yes

Lens model: Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 DI VC USD Canon EF (Model A009E)
Focal Length: 70mm-200mm
AF works: No
Aperture control: No (No readout of aperture or control)

11 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Reach out to Tamron directly to sort this out?

I think its up to Blackmagic to add support to the Tamron lenses. I hope that a firmware update or two down the line may sort this out. The active EF mount from Canon is third party tech that BM and Tamron have to reverse engineer to get it working right. Maybe its not that simple...

16 hours ago, Benozaur said:

I think its up to Blackmagic to add support to the Tamron lenses.

Yes, but if they get direct communication from Tamron as to the details of how they implemented their version of the EF mount then it will be heaps easier for BMD to support it! :)

On 06/08/2016 at 9:00 AM, IronFilm said:

Yes, but if they get direct communication from Tamron as to the details of how they implemented their version of the EF mount then it will be heaps easier for BMD to support it! :)

Good point, I'll do exactly that...

• 3 weeks later...

I'll dig this up again. I have decided to go in another direction and have ordered the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens EF together with the 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens EF. Cost-wise they add up to just over what the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM will cost. So essentially I'm throwing stabilization out of the window for a set of much faster (sharper maybe) lenses that I'm only hearing good things about designed speciffically for APS-C.

Now I just need the Ursa mini 4.6K to arrive (ordered 7 weeks ago from Germany) and am trolling the Internet till then...

Anyway thanks for your advice guys - much appreciated.

On 25/08/2016 at 6:43 PM, IronFilm said:

You're also gaining a much greater range! Good choice I think.

Thanks, if you think its a good choice then thats more than good enough for me. You have just justified my purchase :)

BTW I contacted Tamron and Blackmagic about the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC working with the Ursa mini 4.6K and got no response even after a follow-up email. Oh well...

Just waiting for my Ursa mini to arrive - whenever thats going to be (ordered 8 weeks ago...) the reseller, videodata.de (german shop) have no idea when to expect shipments from Blackmagic. They have great service and and are very open about the whole thing.