Help Needed....

Cassius McGowan

Long story short. I'm doing a stand up comedy special for a friend of mine. He's looking for a 5 cam setup. 2 gopro type cams and 3 cams 2 stationary and one moving. I have a gh4 gh3 and the gopros but was thinking of getting another system if it would work better. I have 2 rode ntg2's and a videomic. Audio and video suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, tupp said:

Just before you shoot, put all of the cameras side-by-side, and do a custom white balance on each camera.

Record audio with your mic from the back of the audience, and also tap into the house mixing board.

So having the extra audio recorder in the back does what if you don't mind me asking.

Yeah here's what I did once when recording a comedy show (similar to tupp). Tap into the board and feed an XLR into your recorder. Set up one of the Rode mics in the back of the room pointing toward the stage. Set up the other Rode mic near the stage pointing back to the crowd (for laughter). Comedians really want to have that live room feel and not super dry feed off of their stage mic.

@AaronChicago

Thanks for answering the question on the room mic.

By the way, when you white balance all of the cameras together, try to do so with the lighting at the subject's mark (where he/she will be standing).

39 minutes ago, tupp said:

@AaronChicago

Thanks for answering the question on the room mic.

By the way, when you white balance all of the cameras together, try to do so with the lighting at the subject's mark (where he/she will be standing).

Yeah it depends on the type of lighting. Most of the time it's Tungsten. There are some times on stages where they'll have blue/red and daylight balanced LEDs. In that case I'd say just look and see which looks the closest to real life.

Remember that for the "HBO Special" look, you need at least 2 operators - one to track the comedian and one to get audience responses. You have to quickly ID people that are really cracking up and get a lot of variety of reactions. Just having a static camera on the audience isn't going to be that great. It's good to use a long lens for that and stay out of people's faces, dress in black and stay in the shadows. People can clam up if they feel they're being filmed.

If you have a static camera that's wider getting the stage, shoot 4K and reframe to get a "3rd operator" look if possible.