Which Quick Release Plate?

Rob Davis

Can anyone recommend a Manfrotto/501 compatible quick release plate that allows the camera to be removed from the top, instead of having to slide it out from the front or back?  I want to be able to remove the camera body from by rig without first having to remove the battery plate or mattebox.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Man, I think you're SOL on that one - the manfrotto (like most systems) is a dovetail setup. You'd have to grind out the dovetail edge on both sides of the baseplate, and come up with something that clamps down. Or grind a camera plate flat-edged. But then you lose the whole "system" setup, since a modded camera plate would just fall out of any other baseplate.

I've got all kinds of Manfrotto QR - there was a company that made carbon fiber base plates, really lightweight. And there's lots of chinese knockoffs on eBay that are cheaper than the genuine stuff. But the fact that it's a dovetail, I don't know how you'd get around that. I've managed to have every rig let the camera slide off towards the back. I suppose you could attach some sort of top-lift system to the manfrotto camera plate. that's how I mod other tripods, I attach their camera plate to a manfrotto QR system.

There are plenty of dovetail quick-release systems that allow the camera to be removed "from the top" -- without having to slide the plate out of the clamp.  There are even small Manfrotto compatible plates that do so.

However, don't know about specifically Manfrotto 501 compatible systems.  There is nothing that would make impossible a 501 "top-release" clamp.

I use Arca-Swiss plates for everything, except for the heavier medium-sized cameras or larger.  Those clamps and plates are prolific and inexpensive.  Just keep an Arca-Swiss clamp on each camera plate and rig.

It is possible with the 501/577 plate, I remember seeing a video showing at least one of the newer Manfrotto heads top-loading with it. If nobody makes a separate top-loading QR plate you could probably technically order the appropriate parts or whole top assembly from that model, Manfrotto sells pretty much every part separately, and turn it into a QR plate. 

Other than that, if you find a cheaper generic compatible QR plate that has a lot of travel on the clamp, you might be able to loosen it enough to top-load, or file the face of the clamp a bit to let it do so. Just like how you can top-load with Arca-Swiss, if you have a QR plate that lets you loosen the clamp far enough.

Does that fancy Kessler QR system use the 501 plate or its own dedicated plate?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies--wasn't getting notifications and just seeing them now.

I have searched Manfrotto's offerings but can't find one like this.  If someone could give me a product number, I'd be very grateful.  I know many tripods with 501-style dovetail plates do load from the top such as the one on my Sachtler FSB-series tripod (the reason I want Manfrotto in the first place). I just can't find a QR option.

Actually, I did recently find one.  O'connor makes a beautiful solution but at $900, it's out of my price range.  I need three or four of them! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925345-REG/oconnor_c1248_1001_sideload_quick_release_top.htm.  

I use manfrotto RC2 style off ebay on my rigs for that reason I can leave the matte box on the lens and just take the rear of the camera upwards to change battery fast and easily , no sliding plates needed

https://www.calphoto.co.uk/product/Manfrotto-RC2-Compact-Rapid-Connect-Adapter-with-3157N-Plate/MN323?gclid=CjwKEAjw26C9BRCOrKeYgJH17kcSJACb-HNAH8-4ixdml7XQ

panasonic-rigs-on-pandora-set-11.jpg

panasonic-rig-on-pandora-set-6.jpg

On July 28, 2016 at 10:15 PM, Rob Davis said:

Can anyone recommend a Manfrotto/501 compatible quick release plate that allows the camera to be removed from the top, instead of having to slide it out from the front or back?  I want to be able to remove the camera body from by rig without first having to remove the battery plate or mattebox.  

http://www.kesslercrane.com/kwik-release/

• 1 month later...

Still looking for an affordable solution here. Not ready to jump to Arca Swiss bc the hardware just seems too small for non-dslr camera systems. 

One thought: anyone ever hear of someone ordering a replacement quick release for a Sachtler FSB-6 and modifying it to work as a stand-alone quick release (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/538602-REG)?

I see the plates sans hardware are available here: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/518872-Sachtler-S2010-2002

I may resort to having something fabricated but I'd love to at least start with off the shelf parts. Only other option would be to give up on dovetail and use Satchler's touch and go system but the QR plates are about 7 times as much as the basic manfrotto:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/78907-REG

2 hours ago, Rob Davis said:

Not ready to jump to Arca Swiss bc the hardware just seems too small for non-dslr camera systems.

I would be more concerned about the strength of the mounting screw than I would about the strength of the Arca-Swiss mounting plates/clamps.

The Arca-Swiss dovetail system is designed to securely hold large, top-heavy Arca-Swiss 4x5" and 8x10" view cameras:

arca_classicm45.gif        arca_classic810.gif

The dovetail is built into the cameras' monorail.

Keep in mind that photographers have to use a little force to insert and remove sheet film holders into the rear standard of such view cameras, so the mounting system has to be strong.

In addition, as per @photographer-at-large's suggestion, you could use Kessler plates/clamps, which also use the Arca-Swiss dovetail.   The Kessler Arca-Swiss hardware must be strong, as they are using those clamps/plates to mount their sliders and jibs to tripods.  Furthermore, they specifically recommend one of their plates for the C300 and Arri and Red cameras at 01:40 in this promo video:

Here is another Kessler video showing one of their jibs with their Arca-Swiss mounting system:

The other thing about going arca swiss is, since my Sachtler is already 502 manfrotto dovetail, I'd end up using too many plates on top of one another.  I use a VCT-style plate on my large shoulder rig so it is balanced both on the shoulder and on the tripod without making adjustments each time and adding an additional arca QR would cause the camera to sit too high on the rig.  The idea is I'd like to quickly go camera>tripod, camera>shoulder rig>tripod, camera>slider>tripod, camera>glidecam, etc.  Only the QR plate that mounts the camera to the shoulder rig needs to be top-load (so I wont have to remove the mattebox or battery plate to mount the camera) so I just need one top-load plate and then can use cheap 502 slide-in QR plates for everything else.  If I have to spead $200-$300 on a modified Sachtler, I'm willing to do that.  Just don't want to drop $900 on the O'Connor.

The Manfrotto 502 head might be easily modified with other clamps, as it appears that the dovetails can be removed with four allen screws.

Perhaps your Sachtler head can be likewise modified, if the extra 3/8" is too tall for you.  What is the model number of your Sachtler head?

54 minutes ago, macdonaldz said:

http://www.smallrig.com/SMALLRIG-Manfrotto-Dovetail-Clamp-1716.html

If you unscrew the wingnut far enough i'd think this should work for top loading because theres no dovetail guide on the fastener side.

Thanks!  I think this is perfect.  I actually just stumbled on a great product from Sachtler for $288.  It would work on a variety of matte boxes because it's height adjustable: http://www.adorama.com/SCABPL.html?gclid=COOC47Loqc8CFdgBgQodLWAMeQ

However, I find smallrig to be pretty decent quality for the cost and like the small footprint of that QR. I think I'll give it a shot.