Canon 1Dc $4,999

photographer-at-large

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Brace yourself for....                     disappointment.

Unless you absolutely have to use the same camera for stills and video, I don't know why anyone who primarily shoots video would get this instead of a dedicated video camera. In this price range you have some much better options for video. Unless this camera turns out to be a 1DC replacement. Which it will not.

8 hours ago, TwoScoops said:

What's the quality of the 1080 60p like with the 1DC compared to the GH4/A7S 60p? Good enough for slow mo/twixtoring?

I owned the 1dc.  The 108060 is softer than the 5d3's 1080p24/30.  It looks like upscaled 720p to me.

19 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I bought my 1DC used a month ago just two weeks before the price drop. Paid $5,000 used. Just returned it and got a full refund! Now I may re purchase it new or hold out for what will happen in the next two months before I make a decision. I know that I LOVE the IQ of 1DC and my clients were very pleased with the way the footage came out in Mexico and Guatemala. I can't believe I got a refund. Kinda like a free 1 month rental! 

So you took the camera on two international trips and used it extensively and still returned it for a full refund?

15 minutes ago, Shield3 said:

I owned the 1dc.  The 108060 is softer than the 5d3's 1080p24/30.  It looks like upscaled 720p to me.

So you took the camera on two international trips and used it extensively and still returned it for a full refund?

Yes. Adorama has a no questions asked 30 day return policy. As long as it's in good condition and all the pieces are still there 

5 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

Yes. Adorama has a no questions asked 30 day return policy. As long as it's in good condition and all the pieces are still there 

We must live on different planets Dave - I've bought and returned $1000 used cameras from B&H after using them for maybe 75 clicks and felt extremely guilty about returning them.  Not take a $5k camera on two international trips and then openly discuss returning it to Adorama on a popular website.

Clearly doing paid work and then returning the gear used is a dick move IMO, but then to mention the details in a public forum is even worse.  But what do I know.

1 minute ago, Shield3 said:

We must live on different planets Dave - I've bought and returned $1000 used cameras from B&H after using them for maybe 75 clicks and felt extremely guilty about returning them.  Not take a $5k camera on two international trips and then openly discuss returning it to Adorama on a popular website.

Clearly doing paid work and then returning the gear used is a dick move IMO, but then to mention the details in a public forum is even worse.  But what do I know.

Sorry I'm a dick 

From Adorama: 

"We believe that in order to have the best possible online shopping experience, our customers should be 100% satisfied with their purchase. So, if you're not happy with your purchase for any reason, just go through our easy self-service return process."

I wasn't 100% satisfied because within that 30 day window the price of the camera went down $3000. That's reason enough according to them to be able to return it. They ran tests on it and responded to me that everything was fine and they clearly saw my usage of it. They still issued the refund. I don't feel like this was a wrong thing at all. Nothing in their return policy does it say "if used on paid work returns aren't allowed". If anything I would think that that's the best way to decide if your "100% satisfied". To use it in paid work environments since that's the way you're gonna be using it if you decide to keep it. 

5 minutes ago, Shield3 said:

I am too, just in different ways.  More of an asshole than a dick.  You are a dick though for sure.  :)

Hahahaha!

28 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

From Adorama: 

"We believe that in order to have the best possible online shopping experience, our customers should be 100% satisfied with their purchase. So, if you're not happy with your purchase for any reason, just go through our easy self-service return process."

I wasn't 100% satisfied because within that 30 day window the price of the camera went down $3000. That's reason enough according to them to be able to return it. They ran tests on it and responded to me that everything was fine and they clearly saw my usage of it. They still issued the refund. I don't feel like this was a wrong thing at all. Nothing in their return policy does it say "if used on paid work returns aren't allowed". If anything I would think that that's the best way to decide if your "100% satisfied". To use it in paid work environments since that's the way you're gonna be using it if you decide to keep it. 

agreed!

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

From Adorama: 

Hahahaha!

I guess they noticed the "C" badge was deeper red colour cause the blood...

6 hours ago, Shield3 said:

I decided to signup and become a member just so i can personally combat this silliness.  You're actually suggesting that he feel bad because he bought a camera, saw it go down by 3k, and decided to take advantage of a return policy that a huge company has in place in order to make the most money for themsevles?  Do you think Adorama has that return policy because they're a bunch of sweethearts, or because it ultimately improves their bottom line and gets more people to impulse buy?  

Now that i've got that out of the way, i just bought the 1dc.  Anyone have any thoughts on C-Log vs no C-Log shooting?  To my eye, i think i agree with Abraham Joffe, that not using C-Log and just dialing down the contrast achieves the best look.   Admittedly, i'm a novice shooter.  

6 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I wasn't 100% satisfied because within that 30 day window the price of the camera went down $3000. That's reason enough according to them to be able to return it.

That's legit.  I just price match rather than return.  I've done that with B&H.  I don't know how Adorama is about price matching.

It's BS for a retailer to expect you to take a $3000/month depreciation.

18 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Brace yourself for....                     disappointment.

Yeah.  With no C badge you can kiss log goodbye.  Lord knows what other crippling will go on.

On 8/1/2016 at 1:11 PM, DBounce said:

I am certain the GoPro has seen much more use in real productions than the BMPCC, so what's your point?

You said "iPhone".  Now you are moving the goal posts.  The BMPCC, an iphone, and a Gopro are all very different tools used for very different purposes.  A BMPCC and a GoPro have very defined use cases on a professional movie set.  I have never seen a use case for an iphone on a movie set where it excels or even equals a BMPCC or a GoPro.  I've seen it used as a gimmick but in every scenario I've seen there was a better and at times cheaper option.  So, no, a BMPCC is not an iphone.