Canon 1Dc $4,999

photographer-at-large

17 hours ago, IronFilm said:

5Dmk4 and 5D C having two very different sensors? Doesn't seem like a Canon thing to do! This seems unlikely to me. 

Yes it is unlikely. But I think we will see this happen or something in this direction, it can be also 5Dmk4 and 1DCmk2. But I think canon will keep this idea of a dslr body that integrates their cinema line. The 1DC is a great camera but It was very expensive at the time so thats why I think maybe we will see a 5DC

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, IronFilm said:

5Dmk4 and 5D C having two very different sensors? Doesn't seem like a Canon thing to do! This seems unlikely to me. 

Doesn't seem like a Canon thing to do? What 2 different sensors do you see there?

I see one new sensor, and another reused sensor, same old 18MP FF from the 1DX/1DC (mark 1).

Did you forget that Canon is the King of the three Rs? Recycle, reuse and reduce (except the price and different types of models)?

Remember the old 18MP APS-C sensors? How many different kinds of cameras had that sensor?

If Canon goes down that path to have 3 to 4 different models of the 5D body (I still count the 5DS/5DSR as being part of this equation), like what Sony did with the Alpha bodies, why not have the same old 18MP to develop a 5DC?

6 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Let's look at the previous track record.... 

Canon 1DX comes out. 

Then a few months later the 1DC comes out. 

Fast forward to now. 

1DX mkII comes out. 

A few months later.... 1DC mkII comes out? 

That's my educated guess. We'll see. 

Hopefully not using motion JPEGs! 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Let's look at the previous track record.... 

Canon 1DX comes out. 

Then a few months later the 1DC comes out. 

Fast forward to now. 

1DX mkII comes out. 

A few months later.... 1DC mkII comes out? 

That's my educated guess. We'll see. 

I don't think it will happen because the market has spoken and said 'we prefer the C300 form factor'

Also the 1D X II doesn't appear to move on the technology from the 1D C in any way to warrant Canon basing the Mk II on it aside from adding Dual Pixel AF.

I don't think they could bring out a Cinema EOS camera in 2016/17 with an MJPEG codec :)

I await to be proven wrong, however a new 1D C back at the old price of $12k has very little appeal to me especially if they just add H.264 to the 1D X II body and don't change the ergonomics.

The 5D Mk IV is what I have my eye on... fingers crossed for an interesting Photokina!

But isn't the whole idea of a DSLR cinema camera to be a hybrid? So it's not just a cinema camera but it's a kick-ass stills DSLR too.

It seems people want it to be a C300/FS7 but those already exist. The question is, do you take photos while you shoot videos? Do you go on still assignments and then shoot video at the same time? These cameras seem to be mostly for those people.

When I had the A7s, I didn't really focus on taking stills with that thing so the stills side was almost useless for me.

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

The last month I've done two international trips with the 1DC and I'll say this camera is fantastic for that type of work. A real ninja camera. The DSLR form factor makes going through customs a breeze. 

That is a massive problem is it with an FS7/C300?

Even a small FS5 would be troublesome?

34 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yes, I've traveled with crew that has BMCC, C300, when going through X-ray check they almost always get asked to be taken out of the bag and inspected, never happens to 1DC because they've probably seen millions of DSLRs.

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yes! My friend had his C300 held at customs his entire trip in Nicaragua. They wouldn't let him bring it into the country without a ridiculous tax fee. He just shot the promo with his iPhone that week. 

I bought my 1DC used a month ago just two weeks before the price drop. Paid $5,000 used. Just returned it and got a full refund! Now I may re purchase it new or hold out for what will happen in the next two months before I make a decision. I know that I LOVE the IQ of 1DC and my clients were very pleased with the way the footage came out in Mexico and Guatemala. I can't believe I got a refund. Kinda like a free 1 month rental! 

3 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

I bought my 1DC used a month ago just two weeks before the price drop. Paid $5,000 used. Just returned it and got a full refund! Now I may re purchase it new or hold out for what will happen in the next two months before I make a decision. I know that I LOVE the IQ of 1DC and my clients were very pleased with the way the footage came out in Mexico and Guatemala. I can't believe I got a refund. Kinda like a free 1 month rental! 

Was it from ebay?

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

What announcements are you waiting on... Because that 1dc was in capable hands.