Canon at high ISO

Snowfun

Does anyone know whether any Canon can match the Sony A7S at high ISO (at least 25k)? I want to put together a couple of kits for lodge guests to film aurora in Scandinavia. The Sony is the obvious choice as it produces great results and is relatively cheap (paired with Samyang 24mm).  But it isn't the best build quality, is awkward to use and lacks weather sealing etc. HD/4k isn't too important. Might one responsebe to wait to see what the 5d4 can do? 

Thanks,

Tim

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Good point, i didn't see the bit about the customers using the cameras..... Canon's DP-AF alone could be worth it.

If you have not made a decision once the 5D IV is shipping... I'll happily stay at your cabin for free to show you the A7s and 5DIV ;)

7 hours ago, Snowfun said:

Does anyone know whether any Canon can match the Sony A7S at high ISO (at least 25k)? I want to put together a couple of kits for lodge guests to film aurora in Scandinavia. The Sony is the obvious choice as it produces great results and is relatively cheap (paired with Samyang 24mm).  But it isn't the best build quality, is awkward to use and lacks weather sealing etc. HD/4k isn't too important. Might one responsebe to wait to see what the 5d4 can do? 

Thanks,

Tim

Snowfun, you're getting some wrong info here. Let me give it to you straight. 

if you want a dedicated low-light cam, you must go with the A7s ii.

The Canon 1D C is more 'Filmic' in my opinion, however there is quite a bit of noise on the 1D C by 4000 -5000 ISO (enough to denoise).

I've seen this personally on 2 separate 1D C's. This is a fact on all settings, including C Log.

Even the DP famous for his dslr cinematography, Shane Hurlbut, said you can use the 1D C to 4000 iso for web, however for big screen do not go over 3200 ISO.

As far as the Sony A7s ii, you can go up to 8,000-10,000 (depending on settings - no S-Log here) with very minor denoise, if any at all.

For any footage you want super clean, you will have to denoise A7s ii footage after 12,800.

Still, much better in low light than the 1D C. (you will spend mucho time color timing it).

1D C looks much better if you're going for a 'filmic' look with proper colors. (below 5000 ISO)

Hope this helps.

32 minutes ago, lafilm said:

Snowfun, you're getting some wrong info here. Let me give it to you straight. 

if you want a dedicated low-light cam, you must go with the A7s ii.

The Canon 1D C is more 'Filmic' in my opinion, however there is quite a bit of noise on the 1D C by 4000 -5000 ISO (enough to denoise).

I've seen this personally on 2 separate 1D C's. This is a fact on all settings, including C Log.

Even the DP famous for his dslr cinematography, Shane Hurlbut, said you can use the 1D C to 4000 iso for web, however for big screen do not go over 3200 ISO.

As far as the Sony A7s ii, you can go up to 8,000-10,000 (depending on settings - no S-Log here) with very minor denoise, if any at all.

For any footage you want super clean, you will have to denoise A7s ii footage after 12,800.

Still, much better in low light than the 1D C. (you will spend mucho time color timing it).

1D C looks much better if you're going for a 'filmic' look with proper colors. (below 5000 ISO)

Hope this helps.

Their high ISO performance are quite similar, A7S II has internal noise reduction that can't be completely switched off, giving an impression of "cleaner" look.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Is the 1DX-II not better?

Seems good here:

This had been my experience with the 1DX Mkii also. It is quite good in low light. And cleaner than the Sony A7R2 with same lens at equivalent ISOs. I cannot speak to the A7S2, as I have not used that camera.  But for filmmaking purposes the 1DXMkii is more than usable in less than ideal lighting conditions.

14 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Good point, i didn't see the bit about the customers using the cameras..... Canon's DP-AF alone could be worth it.

If you have not made a decision once the 5D IV is shipping... I'll happily stay at your cabin for free to show you the A7s and 5DIV ;)

I have the original A7S plus a Shogun for the 4k. Works well (touch of Neat Video if required). Focus not really an issue as it can be fixed on a star and left (indeed with a Samyang, I could even tape it!). But as noticed, getting  guests to use a Sony wouldn't be fun.  Simplicity is important in this context.

Seems that it'll have to be two A7Sii unless the 5d4 ships with similar performance...

Miller AirHeads will function at -35 (my manfrotto freezes...)

Not my cabin Jimmy, otherwise no problem! Where do you go to shoot aurora (this is north Finland).

tim

3 hours ago, Snowfun said:

I have the original A7S plus a Shogun for the 4k. Works well (touch of Neat Video if required). Focus not really an issue as it can be fixed on a star and left (indeed with a Samyang, I could even tape it!). But as noticed, getting  guests to use a Sony wouldn't be fun.  Simplicity is important in this context.

Seems that it'll have to be two A7Sii unless the 5d4 ships with similar performance...

Miller AirHeads will function at -35 (my manfrotto freezes...)

Not my cabin Jimmy, otherwise no problem! Where do you go to shoot aurora (this is north Finland).

tim

Iceland.... been 3 times now, love it. Thinking of Tromso this year. I can imagine Finland is equally beautiful though.

I'm no big fan of my A7s, but being able to film my mum see the aurora for the first time, in real time, was worth every penny!