Canon 60D lens suggestions?

/p/

Planning on buying either a Canon 60D (or maybe a 6D) and using it for a year before I upgrade to something better.

I'm trying to decide what Canon lenses I should buy that will be the most useful but also the best bang for buck. For example, I am currently considering the 17-40 f/4 as a wide zoom, 24-105 f/4 for pretty much everything else and a 35mm f/2 IS for low light.. I figure these 3 lenses cover a pretty good range, the 24-105 is equiv to about 38mm which isn't exactly wide which is why I'm also considering the 17-40.. I think the IS on the 24-105 will come in handy for static hand held shots as well as the IS in the 35mm f/2 which will serve as a low light lens that has the benefit of IS too.

Anything else I should consider before buying this stuff? I'm having a hard time deciding whether to go for the f4 stuff for now or whether to invest what I have into something like a 24-70 Mk II, it doesn't have the IS.. But I don't want to feel in 12 months like I should have just gone with some f/2.8 glass instead. I like the idea of having IS, but is it viable to use IS for static hand held shots or is a rig essential? I'll be shooting mini docs, interviews that sort of thing.. 

I'm also considering the 6D as a possibility for its low light performance, however I'm leaning towards the 60D as it's so affordable and I'd still want to upgrade to something above the 6D within the year since I'm getting more work. 

Sorry long post.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Any particular reason you're going with the 60D? I own one and I can say that it's my least favorite video DSLR. I love it for a stills camera though. The 1080 image always looks mushy compared to the GH2/3, or FS100.

Well it's cheap pretty much but has better ergonomics than the rebels.. I plan on upgrading to something higher end (maybe a C100) not too far down the track but I'd like to start investing in glass and accessories now for when I do. I don't want to spend however much on a 5D3 as it will just cut into what I'v saved so far for something better. I thought I could manage with a 60D for 12 months until I upgrade, meanwhile I'll have already invested in Canon glass. 

Still not sure on what glass to buy though.. Not sure whether to go with f/4 zooms and 1 or 2 low light primes, or just go with the f/2.8 zooms.. BUT I'm probably going to still want low light primes even if I buy f/2.8 zooms so maybe it's dumb to spend extra on the f/2.8 zooms when f/4 zooms are cheaper since I'd want low light primes anyway.

Well it's cheap pretty much but has better ergonomics than the rebels.. I plan on upgrading to something higher end (maybe a C100) not too far down the track but I'd like to start investing in glass and accessories now for when I do. I don't want to spend however much on a 5D3 as it will just cut into what I'v saved so far for something better. I thought I could manage with a 60D for 12 months until I upgrade, meanwhile I'll have already invested in Canon glass. 

Still not sure on what glass to buy though.. Not sure whether to go with f/4 zooms and 1 or 2 low light primes, or just go with the f/2.8 zooms.. BUT I'm probably going to still want low light primes even if I buy f/2.8 zooms so maybe it's dumb to spend extra on the f/2.8 zooms when f/4 zooms are cheaper since I'd want low light primes anyway.

If you dont care as much about resolution and bitrate then the 60D will work. It feels great in the hand. Nice and sturdy. What kind of shooting do you do? If its run n gun, or event type situations i would go with a fast zoom with IS. If you do alot of narrative, or interview type stuff then I would go with primes.