5d mark IV New Sensor Paradigm

Tiago Rosa-Rosso

This is mostly a re-edit from a post of pvalpha on canon rumors, that I found interesting and would like to share. 

There are some rumors out there saying that the 5d mark IV will be a 28-32mp camera. "If so then likely we will have new sensor paradigm.  Meaning we could not only see on sensor ADC's like the 80D, but we could also potentially see other design iterations learned from their 120mp experimental sensor."

Also there are rumors suggesting a Canon DSLR First Coming to EOS 5D Mark IV

"The one thing that pops to mind that would make a massive difference and it would be actually new to canon dslr is BSI - back side illumination.  This would be a perfect implementation for BSI before moving to much higher pixel-density cameras like the 7D3 or a 5Ds/r2 without pushing the glass too hard.   Lets face it, they'd have to take their optical formulas up a notch or three on the 24-70 and the 70-200 before they start flirting with a 100mp+ sensor.  And probably add IS to everything.  And they know their average wedding shooters aren't going to want to dump $$$$ into cfast to get half-a-dozen 512gb cards, the new computer rig necessary to process those pics (you'll need a comp with at least 16gb ram), at least 2 1tb ssd's for working, and the helium 8tb+ drives (at least 4-6 in raid) to store 'em on.    And they'll need BSI anyway in order to compensate for the massive pixel density without having to shrink a supercomputer for noise reduction into a digic die.  Physics is physics.  You can't shrink the electronics all that much without new fabs, but if you can move them out of the way (like behind the sensor pit).
Of course, considering Canon's conservative nature - you'd have a better chance of hitting the lotto than seeing this happen.  You'd see this tech in a powershot or something they gave less than two craps about before seeing it in a 5D.  

But I'd love to see DxO's reviewer's faces if Canon actually did this.   On a 28-32mp camera this would probably extract a 2 fold noise reduction before processing, because the sensor pits would be double or even triple the size.  And you could insert dedicated DPAF sensors between the photosite arrays.   Add to the on sensor ADC and voila a camera that will beat Nikon and Sony at everything except raw pixel count.  And knowing Canon it will outperform whatever specs they actually publish in August."

So what do you think? Is BSI coming to canon 5dm4? And what does this mean for us video shooters and canon fans? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I expect the Mark 4 to be as radically different as the Mark 3 was from the Mark 2:  a one stop high ISO noise improvement, highly compressed 4k, and maybe slightly higher dynamic range. MJPEG and cLog would be nice but unlikely.

2 hours ago, squig said:

I expect the Mark 4 to be as radically different as the Mark 3 was from the Mark 2:  a one stop high ISO noise improvement, highly compressed 4k, and maybe slightly higher dynamic range. MJPEG and cLog would be nice but unlikely.

4K will almost definately be M-JPEG, since the liveview buffer is in JPEG format.

I think if the 5D4 had 10-bit 4:2:2 C.Log 1080p, it would be an instant buy for me.  With C-fast, it should have enough write speed for it.  I'm guessing the reason they wouldn't is that it would partially cannibalize their c100.  But would it really hurt their c100 sales?  It won't have a internal ND filter, the rolling shutter won't be as good.  It'll be a good B-camera to a c100 when shallow DOF is required.  The battery life will be an issue.  All things I am prepared to deal with.

why doesnt canon get this: ill buy both, BOTH an slr AND a cX00 cam, horses for courses, but i need the image to MATCH!!!!!???

thats the most obvious reason id buy into their "system" – i can pick up shots in clog with my 5d4 and match it to their actual video cams with plugs and grown up features

AND the slr shoots stills~! imagine that!!! what a concept

[edit:] addendum: "protecting" other cams doesnt make sense in the same way anymore with a 4k 5d4 and a 4k c100iii on the way. things change, 2016 is half over, lets move forward