EOSHD Community

Ed_David

1 hour ago, Lee Kelly said:

Was this just south of Sydney?

You'll have to ask my grandfather.

Pro tip: take a first aid kit. A mate of mine face planted into a hole. It's a long walk to call an Ambo.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Lol, you turn away for a bit (you know, actual life and work happens) and all hell breaks loose. :grimace: Someone pointed out the drama happening over at EOSHD, the disaster tourist that I am, I came to check it out.

Sad to see this was happening right under our noses and it always sucks when you put trust somewhere where it gets abused. I felt like that when my locked bike got stolen out of our complex. It's usually inaccessible to just anyone (unless someone tricks their way in), so the thing is the very person next door could have taken it as well. That break of trust in a community just hurts. I guess this is sorta like it.

But yeah, props for everyone jumping in for these folks that have been robbed of their money. And the moderators for monitoring and regulating. Tough situation, but indeed the priority needs to be to solve the problem... people have had their money stolen, so it has to be un-stolen first. Or the promised goods/service have to be delivered. With an hostile approach and climate, you however might not be able to construct a solution. So I think indeed it's a good idea to leave the involved amongst eachother now to sort it out.

Forgiveness. Well, he thought he was untouchable, even gloated about there wasn't a damn thing anybody could do. That's the danger with this digital age, people just think they can get away with anything, because it's only the digital realm and you're safely behind your keyboard, thousands of miles away, possibly on another continent. Well. This just shows. Actions have consequences. As real in the digital as in the actual world we live in. The lies upon lies upon lies and playing victim doesn't convince me this guy is going to be on the right track anytime soon, especially him wanting forummembers to lie for him so he comes off as a saint. It's not having a statue that makes a Saint. It's the actions and road leading to him deserving one. It's: fess up and make amends. Rather than make excuses, work hard to become a better person. I don't know, I don't see much acknowledging of him really understanding what he did, he still wants to forget it ever happened and go back to the way things were. That doesn't make you a better person, that makes you the same person who likes the easy ways out of things. Looks like he feels sorry for himself (that his actions caught up to him, that he left room for error for that to happen), but not for the others involved. If you did something bad, you're supposed to feel shit and be held accountable for it. 'Ah, my bad, but all is forgiven, right?' is a fairytale world. You do the crime, you pay the time. There's no way to sugarcoat it. You gotta earn your way back. It's can't be all pat on the back and all is forgiven. You'd be sending out a message that this behaviour is tolerable as long as you're smart enough to get away with it. And easily forgiven if you don't, so why not everyone just give that a go! See, that doesn't work.

And then there's still the question... was there ever a ES Sr.? I feel like there might've been, but that he has been inactive for over a year or so, leaving the most endorsed account (apart from the site's owner) in his prized possession to be used for worse. With all the lies... who knows. Oh well.

Anyways. What else did I miss? Myself, I always like to discuss equipment (lenses, cameras, stabilizers, etc) and techniques (ETTR, shooting RAW, processing, lighting, colorcorrecting etc) that helps you tell stories more effectively/gives you more creative options, teaches you new things/helps you grow and ultimately gets you the best results. But I felt like shortly after NAB there wasn't really that much to discuss. Maybe now the X-T2 (but I sorta kinda don't like it all too much, but it's a nice step in the right direction for them; Olympus take note!). AF Samyang lenses sound interesting. Thanks to however pointed me back to EOSHD (who's 'blue' anyways?), I sorta got too sidetracked with actual life and work in order to check-in more regularly with you guys. :grin:

-- Wait. Zach really got banned? I have an (in meanwhile old) inbox message from him. Can he read it/respond if I reply?

On the situiation between Ed adn ES: hopefully it will be resolved in that thread and not dominate the forum forever more!

A lesson remains: never use western union to send money for private purchases. The risk is too high.

I wasn't involved in banning Zach, and had plenty of decent chats with him, though he does come across as unstable. That meant that every single thread he waded into was derailed onto the T2i even when it was completely irrelevant. It started to negatively affect the forum as lots of threads went way off-topic and turned into arguments. I think there were enough fair warnings there TBH across a lot of topics and messages. He's actually not deleted but he is post-blocked for getting two warnings, so you can read messages. These blocks can be revoked too.

As for the community here, I think it's excellent. I've known Andrew a long, time, though we don't see a huge amount of one another I do know he's kept his passion for being an advert-free independant voice.

In fact I've been here since i had a T2i (first serious camera i had) and have learned a lot and taught some others.

Compared to many communities, I feel we have a good balance and fair moderation standards. There's no atrocious ban-hammer, but there's a sensible limit set on bad behaviour.

Here's to many more years of learning and lolz

19 hours ago, iamoui said:

Yeah, it's just a shame you were so quick to grab your pitchfork and want to ultimately ruin this young person's life/career. If you were one of the people that had been scammed, sure, I can see that being a normal reaction. It just seemed like you went out of your way to get involved and carry the torch of justice. I understand this is a community and we have to look out for each other. I just think there are better ways to handle such things. Give yourself a pat on the back, anyway.

To quote from Game of Thrones

“Shame! Shame! Shame!”

How dare you recline in your sofa/ coffee shop/ bedsit and lambast Ed David for having a pair of balls. Not only is he rocking a heavy copper pair, he also gave you a lesson in storytelling.

What is it you loved so much about Serial, or Making a Murder?

Haven’t heard or seen those, ok, let’s spread the net…

Why did you love the Sopranos, Orange is the New Black, the Wire?

Ok, you’re still lost…

Breaking Bad?

It’s because in real life there are no good guys and bad guys. To try and bookend this episode with your own view of the world and how it should be will always make you a shitty storyteller.

Yes you can make your money knowing everything about a camera spec and DP for someone, but you do not understand the complexity of emotions in real life drama that unfolded before your eyes. You went through the emotional roller-coaster, you just wanted to wait until the dust had settled before taking action. That's the difference between art and criticism.

Where were you when you could have put your cards on the table many times during the episode? Where was your defense or attack?

Michael Moore said that the most important thing a filmmaker can do is to find an opinion and fight for it, it doesn't matter what side its on. The honesty as you work through your honest emotions is what everything is about. Werner Herzog was a bit more enthusiastic - he said you must stare death in the face (I think he had the same general jist - be honest about your own humanity).

Where were you when all of this humanity was unfolding? Anger, sadness, remorse, arrogance (defensiveness?) and full circles over and over again...

Oh, youre here now, book-ending and categorizing the winners and losers.

Those are the cheap seats.

Ed went through so many stages of emotions, and at each stage he gave us such honesty that it is ridiculous that you sat at your desk for a week and still feel you have a right to pass judgement.  he showed it all…

... in defense of YOUR community... our community.

For that, I will always remember a one Mr. Ed David.. that filmmaker in New York who fucking loves this racket we are trying to make it in.

... and he will have your back if you get screwed...

... and he's fucking nuts.

Go find someone like him on any other forum. I dare you.

36 minutes ago, HelsinkiZim said:

To quote from Game of Thrones

“Shame! Shame! Shame!”

How dare you recline in your sofa/ coffee shop/ bedsit and lambast Ed David for having a pair of balls. Not only is he rocking a heavy copper pair, he also gave you a lesson in storytelling.

What is it you loved so much about Serial, or Making a Murder?

Haven’t heard or seen those, ok, let’s spread the net…

Why did you love the Sopranos, Orange is the New Black, the Wire?

Ok, you’re still lost…

Breaking Bad?

It’s because in real life there are no good guys and bad guys. To try and bookend this episode with your own view of the world and how it should be will always make you a shitty storyteller.

Yes you can make your money knowing everything about a camera spec and DP for someone, but you do not understand the complexity of emotions in real life drama that unfolded before your eyes. You went through the emotional roller-coaster, you just wanted to wait until the dust had settled before taking action. That's the difference between art and criticism.

Where were you when you could have put your cards on the table many times during the episode? Where was your defense or attack?

Michael Moore said that the most important thing a filmmaker can do is to find an opinion and fight for it, it doesn't matter what side its on. The honesty as you work through your honest emotions is what everything is about. Werner Herzog was a bit more enthusiastic - he said you must stare death in the face (I think he had the same general jist - be honest about your own humanity).

Where were you when all of this humanity was unfolding? Anger, sadness, remorse, arrogance (defensiveness?) and full circles over and over again...

Oh, youre here now, book-ending and categorizing the winners and losers.

Those are the cheap seats.

Ed went through so many stages of emotions, and at each stage he gave us such honesty that it is ridiculous that you sat at your desk for a week and still feel you have a right to pass judgement.  he showed it all…

... in defense of YOUR community... our community.

For that, I will always remember a one Mr. Ed David.. that filmmaker in New York who fucking loves this racket we are trying to make it in.

... and he will have your back if you get screwed...

... and he's fucking nuts.

Go find someone like him on any other forum. I dare you.

Wow man, thanks - that just made the whole 14 hour exercise of this make it all worth it, when I could have been spending the time finishing my short film.

Thank you thank you!

Nice sentiment Helsinki, but iamoui was in the thick of it, following the entire thread, and commenting accordingly. I agree with you though, Ed_David is "fucking nuts" and I'd rather have him with me than against me. Him and his Hipster Mafia gets shit done. Btw, I coined the phrase Hipster Mafia and I think it would be a hilarious short for Ed to make deep in the bowels of Williamsburg. I only ask for a "story by" credit.

I like this forum.  From the owner on down everyone is trying to give heartfelt honest advice.  Sometimes we are wrong.  Sometimes we are biased but we are all trying.

That is why I was really disappointed with how "the controversy" was handled.  The lynch mob mentality was disappointing and embarrassing.  For people to set upon one of our own in such a fashion was really uncivilized.  There are ways of sorting these things out without flushing your decency and humanity down the toilet.  As I said before in "that thread" I can absolutely understand the victims' being emotional and coming on a bit strong.  Totally understandable under the circumstance.  What I do not understand is third parties who had nothing to do with "the incident" piling in and spreading rumor and vitriol.  Really it was one of the most unprofessional things I've seen on the internet in a long time.  The Nuremberg trials that involved actual real life accused Nazis were handled in a calmer more dignified manner.

I hope the aggrieved parties are properly compensated.  I will say one positive thing that has come from all this is I have a new found respect for the admittedly deeply flawed US criminal justice system.  After this forum pulled back the curtain just a little bit and gave me a peek at the alternative I realize as terrible as what goes on in our courts they are far better than the alternative.

PS I didn't read most of "that thread."  I couldn't take any more of the juvenile mob behavior and I left.

5 minutes ago, Damphousse said:

I hope the aggrieved parties are properly compensated.  I will say one positive thing that has come from all this is I have a new found respect for the admittedly deeply flawed US criminal justice system.  After this forum pulled back the curtain just a little bit and gave me a peek at the alternative I realize as terrible as what goes on in our courts they are far better than the alternative.

PS I didn't read most of "that thread."  I couldn't take any more of the juvenile mob behavior and I left.

And what about our personal feelings, I've been talking to several forum members who have developed bad feelings and vicious thinking patterns after their favourite poster turned out to be a fake. It's not an easy thing to loose a father figuer like Ebrahim Sr.

There has to be some compensation too for those mental victims of ES, I don't think we are taking this serious enough, reducing this to a mere materialistic problematic is a flight forward. I think those who are suffering from this should come forward and expess their feelings so we can find some sort of closure and comfort.