Eos M question

Michael Coffee

Hi everyone, I picked up one of these cool little cam's today, because I miss Canon colours! Got it almost setup, installed tragic lantern, that's all ok.. I messed around with 50d raw a few years ago, so I know my way around ML a bit.. not using the ml raw for now, just going high bitrate h264..

Anyways..  I thought I had set everything to full manual, and it seems mostly ok, but my shutter speed keeps fluctuating, and I can't work out why.. I don't remember this happening on the 50d - any Canon/ML experts know why this is happening? I tried to switch any auto settings off, but must have missed something..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
28 minutes ago, Michael Coffee said:

Hi everyone, I picked up one of these cool little cam's today, because I miss Canon colours! Got it almost setup, installed tragic lantern, that's all ok.. I messed around with 50d raw a few years ago, so I know my way around ML a bit.. not using the ml raw for now, just going high bitrate h264..

Anyways..  I thought I had set everything to full manual, and it seems mostly ok, but my shutter speed keeps fluctuating, and I can't work out why.. I don't remember this happening on the 50d - any Canon/ML experts know why this is happening? I tried to switch any auto settings off, but must have missed something..

49.96 - 50.05? I guess this is normal.

2 hours ago, Michael Coffee said:

Hi everyone, I picked up one of these cool little cam's today, because I miss Canon colours!

On Ebay, EOSM bodies are selling for as low as US$135.    That's a nice little inexpensive backup camera!  In addition, it is very versatile in regards to lenses and adapters.  I have a focal reducer, a tilt-swing adapter and a couple of adapters (one dummy Nikkor and one smart Canon EF).

The ability to do tilt-swing on APS-C with full frame lenses in amazing, and the focal reducer effectively makes the APS-C a full frame sensor!

2 hours ago, Michael Coffee said:

Got it almost setup, installed tragic lantern, that's all ok.. I messed around with 50d raw a few years ago, so I know my way around ML a bit.. not using the ml raw for now, just going high bitrate h264..

If you just want to boost the h264 bitrate, you are probably better off going with ML, rather than TL.  TL is older and probably less stable (although it seems that the most recent ML builds write odd colors to the Canon menus on the EOSM).

Consider using TL for getting all-I frames in h264 (along with boosted bitrate), but you can compile ML to offer all-I frames on the EOSM.

7 hours ago, tupp said:

On Ebay, EOSM bodies are selling for as low as US$135.    That's a nice little inexpensive backup camera!  In addition, it is very versatile in regards to lenses and adapters.  I have a focal reducer, a tilt-swing adapter and a couple of adapters (one dummy Nikkor and one smart Canon EF).

The ability to do tilt-swing on APS-C with full frame lenses in amazing, and the focal reducer effectively makes the APS-C a full frame sensor!

If you just want to boost the h264 bitrate, you are probably better off going with ML, rather than TL.  TL is older and probably less stable (although it seems that the most recent ML builds write odd colors to the Canon menus on the EOSM).

Consider using TL for getting all-I frames in h264 (along with boosted bitrate), but you can compile ML to offer all-I frames on the EOSM.

Yeah, I was very interested in the all-i, tried it out but it seems you loose audio - and having that audio input was a big reason I got this little beast.. 

Just tried it again, it seems to be working ok with audio now at 3.0x bitrate, and all-I .. :)

1 hour ago, Michael Coffee said:

Just tried it again, it seems to be working ok with audio now at 3.0x bitrate, and all-I .. :)

Wow!  Didn't know that it was possible to have audio with all-I/boosted-bitrate!   It might be a good idea to carefully scan the footage for image tearing and/or dropped frames.

I haven't used my eos-m since last fall, but with that ML build I was using, I would only have audio for the first clip I recorded. If I turned the cam on and off it would record again. Unfortunately, I was doing so many different tests at the time that I cannot remember if that was in raw or higher bitrate also. The one great feature is the 3x zoom or telephoto function. It gave me the ability to use some really wide c mount lenses like the infamous 8-48mm, but the cool part was when I changed cards and used the normal eos-m, I still was in the 3x mode. 

I also used raw a lot with it and really enjoyed using it, but I could not find a reliable way to get rid of the dreaded pink dots. The only cure I could ever find that consistently worked involved chroma smoothing, but it seemed to soften the image too much.

I used to do it, try it out for sure. With the crop mode you can record higher resolutions. As said though, croma smoothing makes the footage a bit less detailed. 
Maybe there's some better stuff to do it with now? I had a program called pink dot remover, then use mlrawviewer to convert to prores. 
I think you could do a pretty good 8mm emulation with eosm Raw. I might try it out when I get my eosm back.

That was a test I did a while back, I hardly remember the process now. I do remember I didn't treat the footage that well and you could certainly get a better look and DR than this I think.

If you look on the Vimeo page it has the steps I took.

Would be great if eosm worked better for Raw. Honestly though if you are really keen about Raw you are better off just buying a used 7D for around $400.

Thanks Tweak... stunning colours.. can you remember what lens you used on that one? I did try the raw on a 50d, had a slow card though, so couldn't get the higher rez .. I hate shooting crop too:) I sold it, but the memories of it's colours bought me back to canon!

I'm pretty happy with 3x h264 and all-I at the moment - I'm more used to cc and grading now, the footage responds really well so far. Will post some soon :)

13 hours ago, Michael Coffee said:

I'm pretty happy with 3x h264 and all-I at the moment

It is amazing that the camera doesn't shut down at that bitrate with all-I.  Have you tried to test its stability by shooting a complex, moving subject (such as static on an old TV set)?