DJI X5R arrived today - any requests?

Oliver Daniel

The DJI X5R arrived today to go with a recently purchased Inspire V2 and Osmo handle kit. 

Having owned a BeSteady One gimbal and DJI Ronin-M - I loved what these gadgets can do but I despised all the annoying fidgety blocks that went with it. I also didn't like the lack of portability. 

Due to client requests, I've got the portability and also the "bonus" of aerial (which I'm training for now, bollock ache but highly compulsory). 

I'll be powering the Osmo X5R with Inspire 1 batteries, using the battery extender thingamabob.  

I'll be taking it for a few spins within the next week. 

Any feedback requests from anyone? I'll be glad to share :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've watched a few reviews and haven't seen anything showing noise through the ISO range and rolling shutter since all of the shots are from a Inspire or on the Osmo. I really like what DJI did with the X5r and the whole Inspire/Osmo integration and such, its the price of the damn SSD's that kills it for me. That said, its an incredibly versatile production tool.

Thanks in advance.

I'm just interested to hear your experience with this set up, the whole thing. Is it easy to set up and hit record? Any hiccups while filming? Is offloading as painful as I imagine it to be? How nice is the image compared to other cameras you have experience with? How well would it intercut with other cameras? 

Looking forward to hearing about your experience. 

See footage thats tests rolling shutter when you have a chance...I already own an Inspire 1 and I'm contemplating the X5 for the file sizes and the ability to shoot on SD cards so I would be really curious about the file sizes you get out of the X5R...I think I read somewhere 1.5GB/S...probably I'm making a mistake...

https://fstoppers.com/aerial/dji-zenmuse-x5-makes-inspire-1-worth-buying-91492

Included a link of night footage with X5...can't even imagine what you'll get out of the X5R....enjoy!!

I will add a brief side note as you learn to fly the Inspire...it's a joy to fly, but don't always trust that the software will work flawlessly in GPS mode...for instance, when you release all the controls the aircraft is supposed to stop...it does..most of the time...but when flying close to anything, keep control of the Inspire...also keep your eye on the landing gear...once it did not lower as I came in for a landing...luckily I was sitting down on grass and turned the lens up and landed softly...on the hard with an expensive cam I would have brought it to shoulder height and grabbed the aircraft by hand from underneath...the rotors are well above the fuselage so entirely doable...2 little observations I've had, but be prepared to enjoy yourself...this is a pleasure to fly!!

1 hour ago, Fritz Pierre said:

See footage thats tests rolling shutter when you have a chance...I already own an Inspire 1 and I'm contemplating the X5 for the file sizes and the ability to shoot on SD cards so I would be really curious about the file sizes you get out of the X5R...I think I read somewhere 1.5GB/S...probably I'm making a mistake...

GB/s or Gb/s? Pretty big difference.

Thanks for the response. 

So far, I've barely took the equipment out of the case.

On first look of the X5R, the camera part is absolutely tiny. Much smaller than I thought. Must be careful. Most of it is a 15mm lens. 

The SSD's are very small too. I can't get my head round why this accessory costs so much.

The Inspire V2 is a beast, as we all know. 2 controllers in the package. Ace!

Because of the SSD thing, and the fact I haven't got the spare dosh for a spare,I'll be shooting mostly in HD and 50/60fps. Will do a few 4k. Money shot maybe?

I've got 3 edits needing their final amendments due today, so once I've done them, I can whip this bad boy out!

Hi Oliver,

Hope you enjoy your new toy. From what I have been told, that little X5r is pretty cool.

I am hoping to get a look at some realistic low light tests if you were interested. I have seen some late dusk/night time city scape drone stuff but with all the twinkly lights in the scene its a little easier to hide any blocky artifacts and thats what I would love to see. Maybe see how it performs at 800iso with a shot of a person maybe being lit with a standard sort of indoor lighting type of thing. Lit by household practicals? kind of good to see how high iso and low light might fall apart or if it can still handle a little bit. 

6 hours ago, Lee Kelly said:

Hi Oliver,

Hope you enjoy your new toy. From what I have been told, that little X5r is pretty cool.

I am hoping to get a look at some realistic low light tests if you were interested. I have seen some late dusk/night time city scape drone stuff but with all the twinkly lights in the scene its a little easier to hide any blocky artifacts and thats what I would love to see. Maybe see how it performs at 800iso with a shot of a person maybe being lit with a standard sort of indoor lighting type of thing. Lit by household practicals? kind of good to see how high iso and low light might fall apart or if it can still handle a little bit. 

Most of the stuff I shoot will be on a "proper job". I've got a sock puppet video on Monday where it will be ideal for some shots (hopefully). 

Early setup experience....

My early setup experience has been quite mixed.

Good Things

This thing is very, very slick. With all the features, the app, the sleek black design... it looks and feels super cool. 

It smells like a new car. 

It's light and easy to handle. 

The controls seem very nice and responsive. 

Viewing the image on a smartphone is awesome.... (why don't other cameras fully do this?). 

Shallow DOF is very achievable. Could do with the wireless follow focus but that costs $100,000,000. 

Autofocus beep makes me laugh. 

Selfie mode makes me laugh. 

Battery extender thingy is a cool idea!! Very useful. 

Bad Things

Firstly, the firmware came up as "unknown" and the preview image would be horizontally inverted, until you hit record. WHYYYY?? (edit: fixed after firmware update!!). 

Upgrading the firmware has been frustrating. The firmware instructions for the X5R aren't very clear as it behaves differently to the other models. DJI should say this really in their guides/tutorials. (you have to wait until the green/red light will flash for about 3 mins before firmware starts uploading. At first you think it's broke). 

Autofocus is either good or awful, they need to improve that. 

The fan is loud. Sounds like next door have got a crap, wimpy hoover on. This is not a device for dialogue!

Also, on the Osmo, the fan and ventilator are facing up. Don't shoot if there's a chance of rain. Dust? Hmmmm. May need a regular clean. 

It feels a bit flimsy. It will very likely break if you drop it or crash. 

Battery extender adapter fits very flimsy on the Inspire TB48 battery. LAZY. I've ordered a custom 3D printer adapter to hold it in place. 

---------------------------------

Usually, the bad things get reduced overtime as with anything. 

Looking forward to what it can do in the field!

Updating firmware with the Inspire has been a challenge...following their tutorials have proved to be better than suggestions on forums, but for the future, the updates are very sequence specific...never had to update the camera on the Inspire 1, but had to update the Inspire as when they sent me a new one, it would not sync with the controller...then a new controller and hours later...finally in the air!...I get a signal now that an update is required, but I don't install it...the firmware with POI and Waypoint routes etc. was what I was waiting for...it flies like a dream now...can't speak for the X5R though...

Dam... Not enough bad things there to scare me away. I have started clearing the decks to buy this with a few sales today. I have been using the OSMO with the x3 and as crappy as the image is i have been using it a lot just because its so convenient over calibrating the pilot fly h1+ handheld. 

5 hours ago, thefactory said:

Dam... Not enough bad things there to scare me away. I have started clearing the decks to buy this with a few sales today. I have been using the OSMO with the x3 and as crappy as the image is i have been using it a lot just because its so convenient over calibrating the pilot fly h1+ handheld. 

Did a couple of test shots. 

Everything is very very purple. Looks like a crap colour effect. Actual proxies are fine. 

I think I need to reinstall Cinelight and see what happens then. 

The hurdles of a new product. It's like they don't test them first.