Panasonic gx80/85 rigging

Christopher Taylor

Hello all,

I'm getting hold of a Panasonic gx80 for filming purposes. I'm trying to find parts for a solid rig- the size and form factor is making it a bit hard to work out what to get. I need to get a follow focus on it for cine primes which I've found recently for a real bargain, and I've been thinking of getting that blackmagic 4K monitor/recorder for it. 

How have others been rigging up this camera? how would you suggest rigging it up and with what?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@andy lee, always saving stuff you´re recommending in my favorites. Problem is, I´m losing my overview:)

Bought the Tokina 28-85 F4.0 you recommended for the parfocal and non breathing attributes and its look.

My sample changes focus though a little bit when zooming out,

otherwise it is in new condition, such a beauty that I almost don´t wanna use it. It is very heavy and the mount of my Panny G6

is bending with it and my FD adapter. So keeping that gini rig in my favorites now with the tokina 2870, the canon fd 3570 and 35105.. :)

I´m a total novice to rigging and stuff like baseplates and such. Do you have a simple setup with baseplate, and lenssupport for the tokina?

On your shooting BTS with the glorious g7 i have a hard time to specify the brands or even the detail how the lenssupports look like.

Oh, budget friendly solutions are welcome:)

Planning a short in a theatre, problem is I got my camera crew and plenty light to rent for free of charge, but director wants to change the script and producer is

shy to organize things, no casting yet neither, filming scheduled for second half of august. Considering a solidly rigged GX80 or G70 with the Tokina and adequate

lenssupport and my treasure FD20mm, all on a FD chinabooster. Sorry for the flow consciousness:)

Thank you for all the input you have been given to us!

cheers, Marty

26 minutes ago, Grimor said:

Panny, this is my G6 anamorphic rig:

The baseplate is a cheap "shoot35" from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/shoot35-CINEplate-Pro-Universal-15mm-Base-Plate-/122029165344?hash=item1c69814b20:g:vPMAAOSwSX9XBBpo

I'm happy with it.

Hey Grimor, fantastic post for a rigging newbie like me. I´m not a newbie when it comes to shoot some cute short stuff though!:)

Thank you very much! What are the names of the different parts. I numbered them 1,2,3:)

Looking beautiful, and I guess number 2 is a lenssupport. Where did you get that one from? That silverringy

must be some FD Beauty!!!:) Now getting exited, would you mind to show a tiny bit of footage shot with this setup?:)

Love my FD lenses other than in very bright sunlight!

cheers, Panny (Marty)

shoot 35 baseplate.jpg

1. Quick Release Plate (Qiottos standard plate) that come with the shoot35 baseplate and  i dont need because I'm using a Manfrotto 501 plate with the adjustable dovetail.

2. Smallrig lens support from amazon. 

3. Cheap plastic baseplate under all,  just to elevate from the table during setting my focus.

* 1 and 3 are useless in this setup.

*shoot35 and smallrig seens to be good quality products for this price tag . (i'm in the poor filmakers side)

s-l1600.jpg

I would start with finding a cage that fits the camera well. Then you have a solid base to add your other stuff- rail mounting, a top handle, EVF or monitor mount, shoulder pad and handles, etc. Ideally you can find or rig something that lets you bolt your speedbooster's tripod foot down, to eliminate flex/play. If you do that and have a good lens support on the rails, out at the front of your lens, you shouldn't have any flex or misalignment in your optics when moving the camera or pulling focus.

Smallrig stuff is great, well made and affordable, with a wide variety of stuff (that unfortunately you have to wade through on their site to find exactly what you need).

Gini stuff is great too, real Gini stuff that is, there was some confusion a few years ago with one of their distributors going off on their own and putting the Gini name on cheap Indian crap. Make sure you're getting actual Gini stuff, made in Korea.

The Fotga DP500IIS or the newer DP500III are both good affordable follow focuses.

I'm relatively familiar with rigging, no expert, just rigged up a few DSLR's- but this is the first camera I'd be rigging up of this sort of size.. My point in the end is: have people found rigs/cages which fit well for Cameras this size? A lot of manufacturers seem to be making cages for specific camera models (I've seen a6300, gh4 etc. cages around).. Anyone have something which seems to really work well?

@PannySVHS ...I second the recommendation on the Small Rig Stuff....where I've actually changed my mind is on the baseplate/rails...I own a very nice Lanparte infinitely adjustable baseplate with rails and a shoulder pad...problem is, hard to balance as my set up ranges anywhere from 16-20 lbs...just ordered the Zacuto Universal Baseplate with included shoulder pad...allows you to always keep the lens mount over or near your shoulder for balance, and also places your EVF in an optimum position if you use one, and no counterweight needed for handheld...I'm seriously considering the KineMax next, so that's where it will land up living probably...so after spending around 350 on the Lanparte here goes 574 for the Zacuto, but now I'll never buy another baseplate again...while you're considering your rig....

6 hours ago, Michael Coffee said:

Surely looks pretty!:) So underneath one would screw the baseplate then to have the rods, the lenssupport, ffocus and possibilitiy to put

it on an awesome tripod, right?

@Fritz Pierre Right now I will be going for the cheap but not cheesy route:) But once I´m rich and famous I gonna rig my G6 up with a helicopter:)

EDIT: Wow, that would make a nice quote. This forum is really a source of inspiration to me!

With a GX80 and a good rig it should be possible to have a smooth transition from shoulder work to super free hand camera aperatus stuff.

So first I want a rig I can love as much as my cam or makes me love my cam much, much more. Great ergos are so important. That´s

why a fried of mine still shoots with his two mini DV camcorders. That leads me to a topic I should post some time- the look of 3 CCDs, Yeah, this forum

is giving me joy again! Thanks, you guys!