New Camera

fuzzynormal

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
40 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

So...anyone use a camera lately to film something?  Anything?

I think I most likely will be picking up an XC10 and a GX85 and selling my BMMCC... But I'm not a hundred percent sure about buying the GX85 and selling the BMMCC... But the XC10 is practically a definite. 

How about you fuzzy, how are you getting on with GX85?

13 minutes ago, mercer said:

I think I most likely will be picking up an XC10 and a GX85 and selling my BMMCC... But I'm not a hundred percent sure about buying the GX85 and selling the BMMCC... But the XC10 is practically a definite. 

Pretty good.  I find it decent enough to shoot with and I'm very pleased with the images it delivers.  I'm used to color grading/correcting some pretty fragile 8-bit stuff, and it seems I have a tad more room to wiggle compared to my GX7 files.  Plus, the GX85 is a camera that barely costs $700, which still blows my mind.

I will say I don't plan on owning my two GX85's forever.  I'll eventually upgrade to a more ergo friendly Pany or Oly 4K 5-axis cam when they become available.  Still, I'm going to be shooting the equivalent of two feature length documentaries with this gear, so that should illustrate how much I trust this model to perform.

The things that one can do handheld, with shooting discipline, are really fantastic and fun. 

Plus, I've jumped back into Premiere editing (with some Resolve) and the hardware upgrades on the post side was long overdue.  Now that I'm blazing through native 4K footage unencumbered, it's really kind of awesome.

lol, is this topic basically "... SO ANYWAYYY..."? love it. kind of necessary at the moment..

shot my short film recently with the t3i.. still kind of impressed by it. I liked my simple lighting setup a lot. probably the saving factor of the film, since the camera alone isn't exactly stellar. (haven't gotten much feedback yet, but have been digesting. I'll probably just post my film here in like the next couple of days). when I was able to overexpose, the image was really clean. when I needed to underexposed, the grain covered the artifacts and noise really well. probably have to buy a month of vimeo plus in order for that to matter in the export though

not camera news, but.. been looking a little at Portable Apps.. the prospect of being completely portable with Blender and Audacity is.. interesting. just working at the library.. probably not actually on my radar, haha.. I'm just a little obsessed with finding the absolute cheapest option that's still good enough, for... everything in my life. the possibilities for someone with no money in filmmaking are continually pretty awesome. thinking of putting together a more legitimate lighting kit diy for like $50

sorry to stray away from the topic of "anything" ;) 

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

Plus, I've jumped back into Premiere editing (with some Resolve) and the hardware upgrades on the post side was long overdue.  Now that I'm blazing through native 4K footage unencumbered, it's really kind of awesome.

Hey Fuzzy,

what kinda system did you set up? Isn´t the GX7 pretty thick for a consumer 8bit codec already? Asking, because Panny G6 most definately is a pleasing experience to me in that regard. Or is it Resolve seeming to do wonders?

cheers

1 hour ago, Liam said:

lol, is this topic basically "... SO ANYWAYYY..."? love it. kind of necessary at the moment..

shot my short film recently with the t3i.. still kind of impressed by it. I liked my simple lighting setup a lot. probably the saving factor of the film, since the camera alone isn't exactly stellar. (haven't gotten much feedback yet, but have been digesting. I'll probably just post my film here in like the next couple of days). when I was able to overexpose, the image was really clean. when I needed to underexposed, the grain covered the artifacts and noise really well. probably have to buy a month of vimeo plus in order for that to matter in the export though

not camera news, but.. been looking a little at Portable Apps.. the prospect of being completely portable with Blender and Audacity is.. interesting. just working at the library.. probably not actually on my radar, haha.. I'm just a little obsessed with finding the absolute cheapest option that's still good enough, for... everything in my life. the possibilities for someone with no money in filmmaking are continually pretty awesome. thinking of putting together a more legitimate lighting kit diy for like $50

sorry to stray away from the topic of "anything" ;) 

Hey Liam,

alway loving cheap solutions. So much enjoyment out of the fact to get great results with such cute consumer tech, if one knows what he does.

Just felt like responding, sorry, this scamming post is really not an amusing matter, but lowfi tech talk really is. Cheers!

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Oh Dude,

happy to see you in the pleasure zone of EOSHD again!:)

What you crazy, first selling that G7- so no more 8bit challtenges anymore, now getting rid off the BMMCC.

XC10, wow, cool! I think I gonna rent one and grading the heck out of it!

Good to feel this gear related exitement in this post!

I will be shooting a short with lighting team and one camera assistent in a theater either end of August of September.

September would be better, cuz director wants to change the script and hasnt done any casting yet. Crazy film people:)

My own 2 cents: Don't obsess about cameras, learn to master the one you have, unless you're deeply frustrated, and keep working with it. Have been a happy user of the Blackmagic Pocket for now three years, and won't ever go back to an 8bit camera. (Even my A7s is only being used as a stills camera.) Here's one of my latest concert videos.

5 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

So...anyone use a camera lately to film something?  Anything?

No. I only use a potato for my filming.

4 hours ago, Grimor said:

I 'm testing my new rangefinder

If you don't want it, would you mind selling it? I could pay asap, I'm at my local Western Union branch right now. 

54 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

You too?  I mean, it's been a few years, but if you look at my early videos on youtube it's obvious.

The potato is starting to give off a funny smell, and it has this white fuzz covering it all over. Am thinking that just maybe I should consider starting to think about at some point upgrading my potato? 

What to though? Maybe get a rock? Would be more durable and should be better future proofed as the rock is much more durable. 

1 minute ago, IronFilm said:

The potato is starting to give off a funny smell, and it has this white fuzz covering it all over. Am thinking that just maybe I should consider starting to think about at some point upgrading my potato? 

What to though? Maybe get a rock? Would be more durable and should be better future proofed. 

Well, better DR at any rate.

• Super Members

I bought a cheap BMPCC that came with a Tilta cage, 14-140 OIS lens and the SLR Magic 17mm f1.6 cine lens.

The SLR has my attention, a really cool lens. 

Also got a gx85 just because it was 20% off. Figured I could get my money back and still keep the 20mm f1.7 kit lens.

11 hours ago, mercer said:

The grass is always greener on the other side :p