A break from the scandal with a round of "Guess the Camera"?

Mattias Burling

5 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Almost.

A6300, BMPCC, gx80/85.

Used a Voigtlander 28mm with IR Cut. Used the same type LUT on all but the correct one for each, meaning for slog2, bmdfilm and a Rec709 generic.

After the LUT I set the contrast and lifted the mids.

ISO 800 on a6300 and bmpcc, 600 on the gx80.

Will do a side by side shootout tomorrow. Trying to decide on which to keep as a small grab n shoot for my camera bag when shooting stills.

Man that GX85 is a great little image. I would have sworn it would have been the worst of the lot, but it blows away the a6300... IMO. 

And it's damn close to the BMPCC. Interesting. 

Was the BMPCC in raw or ProRes?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
12 minutes ago, mercer said:

Man that GX85 is a great little image. I would have sworn it would have been the worst of the lot, but it blows away the a6300... IMO. 

And it's damn close to the BMPCC. Interesting. 

Was the BMPCC in raw or ProRes?

Raw, but it didn't matter since I converted it to BMDfilm prores anyway. Think HQ would've looked the same.

Wow, couldn't tell if 2 or 3 was the gx85 (once I realised it was 3 cams, doh) - definitely seems the panny has made a step in colours, I and I really like the way both the bm cam and gx85 break up into the noise in the oof areas - have found my gx7 noise and also bm noise to look really nice and film grainy at times - might have to do some more shooting trying to get more control over this..

Don´t know, might be a tiny bit of wishful thinking involved, nah, GX80 looked great. At 3.50 ungraded it looked the best to me, maybe because of WB or different different light.

At the beginning you underexposed the GX80 a lot. To protect the highlights? How many stops did you push it in post? Seems like the lower mids and the darks are affected by strong macroblocks and lack of shades in the darkest parts. Great informative test, even more if you have a chance to give a few background infos about the technicalities of your test. Great vid and work. Thank you.

Oh, maybe you should put this vid up in a separate thread, so it gets the attention and discussion the topic is worth of!

Maybe in the GX80 thread as well.

Cheers

• Super Members

One thing that really speaks for the MFTs in the test is that the a6300 with the 35mm cost more than all the other stuff combined.

The others stuff being, The GX80, BMPCC, 20mm f1.7, 17mm f1.8, 14-140mm OIS, Tilta cage with top handle and x3 external batteries with charger.

• 1 year later...

Such awesome thread and posts. Shows how much of a great community this often is. Discussing with eachother instead of one against another. Some awesome inspiration I had been getting from post like these.

I searched the Eoshd treasure chests for gems like these. This is a great archive. Found some more musicvideso from Oliver Daniel. That kid has been putting out stuff for years now. Just like Mattias doing his awesome camera and lens video essays.