Is the cheap Nikon D5200 a better option than D800 for video? No moire & aliasing and good detail

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
nikon-d5200

It looks like Toshiba didn't get the memo "All DSLRs must suffer from moire and aliasing in video mode".

The Nikon D5200 equipped with a new Toshiba sensor appears to outperform both new full frame Nikon D600, Canon 6D and even the Nikon D800 when it comes to video.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The moire and aliasing control appears to be excellent, but these samples don't demonstrate whether it's as sharp as the GH2.  They look a little soft to me, but later samples may prove to be more detailed.  And the better low-light capabilities (as well as color and dynamic range) makes it a more attractive choice than the GH2.  Can't wait for the Epic vs BMCC results!

@EOSHD: Andrew, I just registered to tell you that the D3200-sensor is defenitely NOT Sony-fabbed, but Renesas-fabbed.

Source: I posted a inquiry about this here: http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.de/2013/01/toshiba-enters-dslr-market.html?showComment=1357745716283 and got the reply from the folks from Chipworks who analyzed the D3200-sensor and identified it as Renesas-fabbed, quote: "

Nikon D3200 is a Nikon designed Renesas fabbed sensor with NC81369R die marking see http://www.chipworks.com/blog/technologyblog/2012/10/23/full-frame-dslr-cameras-part-1-nikon-vs-sony"

The sensor on the d3200 is made by nikon, while de one on the d5200 is made by toshiba.

I thinks that there is some moire visible on the third video, under the bridge on the water, and on the bridge itself on the grids of the road.

anyone with the same opinion?

One thing to watch out for is that the D5200 doesn't have a built in focus motor so it won't autofocus with all lenses. Probably not a deal breaker for most but anyone looking to do both photo and video might want to know that bit of info.

I must say that i'm shocked at the D5200.  I had absolutely ZERO interest in it until seeing this.  I'm very intrigued by this camera.  It's not perfect but it's very interesting.  Can't wait to see some more tests and examples.  I was very interested in the D600/800 so this just adds to the list of Nikon's that I can look at.

• Administrators

Yes it is a shame Nikon don't make a mirrorless camera as serious as the D800.

They have very old school people who think optical viewfinders and mirrors are somehow relevant in 2013.

Of course from a business perspective swapping to mirrorless may involve an entire lens line-up to be wiped from shop shelves. Canon and Nikon both got bitten in the ass big time when they moved from the old AI / FD glass to modern Nikon and EF lenses so they are relucant to let this happen with the mirrorless revolution. Both pay lip service to the mirrorless models, the lens line-ups for the EOS-M and 1 Series are PITIFUL.

I think they want us to keep buying the old glass and not just to adapt any old crap to their new camera :)

But Sony have gone the other way since they don't have such a big legacy of existing glass to protect. They actively promote third party lens adapters in their Sony Style stores, at least here at the flagship one in Berlin. Interesting strategy which I feel benefits their camera sales, but not so much their E-mount lens sales. So you can understand Nikon and Canon wanting to hold onto their magic ability to 'lock' people into a specific lens range.

I've ben really curious as to how different manufacturers match up picture wise.  I own a Sony NX5U and that is my main event vid camera, and I've been wanting to pickup a second camera dslr body but not super impressed with the NEX sony's.  I've mixed footage with Canon 5DMk2/3 and don't find it matches all that well either.

Does anyone know would this camera or say a Canon 60D or GH2/3 match well with the image from my NX5U?   

Yes it is a shame Nikon don't make a mirrorless camera as serious as the D800.

They have very old school people who think optical viewfinders and mirrors are somehow relevant in 2013.

Of course from a business perspective swapping to mirrorless may involve an entire lens line-up to be wiped from shop shelves. Canon and Nikon both got bitten in the ass big time when they moved from the old AI / FD glass to modern Nikon and EF lenses so they are relucant to let this happen with the mirrorless revolution. Both pay lip service to the mirrorless models, the lens line-ups for the EOS-M and 1 Series are PITIFUL.

I think they want us to keep buying the old glass and not just to adapt any old crap to their new camera :)

But Sony have gone the other way since they don't have such a big legacy of existing glass to protect. They actively promote third party lens adapters in their Sony Style stores, at least here at the flagship one in Berlin. Interesting strategy which I feel benefits their camera sales, but not so much their E-mount lens sales. So you can understand Nikon and Canon wanting to hold onto their magic ability to 'lock' people into a specific lens range.

Thoughts on the EOS-M mount? Could Canon make a cinema camera with the EOS-M mount with a Canon made EOS-M to EF adapter and it be successful? Could the EOS-M mount also work on a FF DSLR?