Short Film Festivals

Lee Kelly

Hoping to use the experience of some of you lovely filmmakers who have submitted to various festivals in recent times.

Considering many have quite strict terms and entry fees ad up, which ones do you think are the ones to concentrate on with the following considerations;

Cost

Terms

Chances of being accepted/awarded

Peer/industry recognition

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've been googling trying to find the article I read recently, but basically what it said is the odds of feature films that get fees waivers from the festival is much much higher than those who pay the fees. Basically paying the film festival fees seems to be a suckers' game? :-/ 

That's because most films that get fee waivers have been invited to submit -- either because the festival is familiar with the film already (because they saw it at another fest or its got a high profile for whatever reason), or it's from a filmmaker who the've programmed movies from in the past. That's why the odds are better.  :)

Now, knowing that, if you've got a short film and have never played a film festival before -- something to consider is choosing festivals you would want to build a relationship with. Imagine two filmmakers submitting to SXSW. One is a first time filmmaker submitting their very first feature. The other is also submitting their first feature, but they've also had three short films at SXSW over the last five years. If the festival programmers were split on these two hypothetical movies and their was only one slot left in the program, who do you think is getting in? Festivals love returning filmmakers.

That being said, it never hurts to ask for a fee waiver. The worst they an say is "no". 

This is a good list. And I would add the Phoenix Film Festival. It's a crime this festival isn't on that list, as a matter of fact. I've never seen anything like it. Filmmakers get multiple screenings (competition features screen at least three times), they've been attracting 23,000 festival goers each year, and the people who run are awesome. One of the few that truly make the filmmakers feel like the center of the festival. And the audiences are amazing. You will have people asking your cast for autographs and pictures, making them feel like Tom Cruise for a weekend. I had a feature there in 2013 and the festival was so much fun, I've gone back every year since -- wth or without a movie in the program.

http://www.moviemaker.com/archives/best_of/50-film-festivals-worth-the-entry-fee-2016/

http://www.phoenixfilmfestival.com

Here's a little video documenting my first year there that my buddy slammed together.

4 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

That's because most films that get fee waivers have been invited to submit -- either because the festival is familiar with the film already (because they saw it at another fest or its got a high profile for whatever reason), or it's from a filmmaker who the've programmed movies from in the past. That's why the odds are better.  :)

yes, but the odds were not just low.... but shockingly low!
Wish I could find that article again.

4 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

That being said, it never hurts to ask for a fee waiver. The worst they an say is "no". 

Exactly!

22 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Very close! But no.

It was this one (that it linked to near the end of the article): 
http://therumpus.net/2016/05/the-great-film-festival-swindle/

This sounds about right. Good on Slamdance, though! Of course, that's the one festival that I submitted to that rejected my short but offered a fee waiver in the future. Haha... :( 

Yeah my producer is onto it but I appreciate you guys replying with your thoughts. Its always a tricky one. Seems like the short film market is saturated these days with the accessibility to cameras and the shorter learning curve, not to mention youtube tutorials etc teaching people how to do things. Everyone can make a film these days.

Film festivals are pretty clever. They often get some government funding as part of philanthropic culture type of community events but then charge whatever per submission, often only accepting several films in the end but pocketing the rejected films entry fees. i understand it takes money to hold a festival but they always have sponsors and funding etc to cover those costs right? Quite interesting especially if the system is somewhat setup to favour established or the chosen few who will often win and not have to pay and as their star rises with various wins, their future projects get more funding and better names involved and the cycle continues often with unknown films of similar or sometimes better story/quality etc getting rejected. 

Anyway, so far this film has been accepted to a couple but still a long way from winning any awards...

Don't be too cynical. Friends have gotten wavers that led to acceptances (at Sundance). Friends have gotten rejected from Sundance but into SXSW to get into Sundance and win best film and be nominated for Oscars. I have had many friends with major awards at Sundance and all without deep connections, except one thing that connects their films–excellence. And now they have more than that, they have opportunity.

It's a club. Outsiders have difficulty joining. But I doubt if most of us posted our best work, we'd be Sundance-caliber. If your work is, apply!!!