How I got scammed through "Ebrahim Saadawi"

Timotheus

1 minute ago, bamigoreng said:

Something's not right. Have searched on the net but could not find Media Company and Nuclear Radiology Center in Egypt. I suspect that there is only one 'filmmaker',

Ebrahim Junior. Just checked Instagram and Flickr profile; no pictures of his grandfather holding the camera - https://www.flickr.com/photos/ebrahimsaadawi/

OK, I might be wrong.

I just did the same thing.

I'll put out a conspiracy theory...

I think the guy exists, but I don't think it is the same guy posting - even the informative posts. For someone with a life and career like that, I cannot imagine they would take the hours needed to write the in-depth posts he writes. I would likely assume that is is a shared account of a company that had some sort of social media marketing campaign that involved forum posting etc, probably funded by some rich dude. Or there was no company and it was a large social media build up at a long term scam that got cut short because they couldn't think of a way to bank big. I am sure selling a red package was on the list.

I would doubt that if you searched long and hard you would ever find more that a social media footprint of this guy. I think it was an, almost, genius scam run by a few people who know about consumer gear from reading online.

Thats my theory anyways....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Come on, it doesn't add up. All this elaborate hoax for stealing a few thousand dollars at the most? This is a case of identity theft. Maybe somebody close to Saadawi Sr who is jealous of him and wants to simultaneously ruin his reputation and make some money on the side. As for having the time to write all those posts, maybe he is retired? Or has a lot of free time? 

3 minutes ago, Amro Othman said:

Come on, it doesn't add up. All this elaborate hoax for stealing a few thousand dollars at the most? This is a case of identity theft. Maybe somebody close to Saadawi Sr who is jealous of him and wants to simultaneously ruin his reputation and make some money on the side. As for having the time to write all those posts, maybe he is retired? Or has a lot of free time? 

You might be right, but the thing that actually made me raise an eyebrow was the fact that a forum user here showed that Jr. stole his footage and used it as his own portfolio piece. I mean that's not awful but it does point to some dishonesty.

1 minute ago, AaronChicago said:

I just figured a picture of him with an older gentlemen and the hashtag Grandfather, with 27 likes, is most likely him. Who knows though. If it's an elaborate scheme it's a well thought out plan.

At least 6 other people "just figured" as well :grin:. All I'm saying is at this point you can't really trust anything like that unless you actually know the person in real life.

10 minutes ago, HelsinkiZim said:

I would doubt that if you searched long and hard you would ever find more that a social media footprint of this guy. I think it was an, almost, genius scam run by a few people who know about consumer gear from reading online.

Right.

Joining a site in December 2013, then put in the effort of writing more than 2000 posts in a forum for two and a half years, to do six scams worth of a few thousand USD? If you want to scam, I think you could have as well done that after the first 300 posts or so...

32 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

image.png

Thats a still of someone else. I feel like ive seen that photo before. Is there a site to do a facial recognition scan?

Maybe that is him.MAybe it is boring and he just got hacked.

11 minutes ago, dahlfors said:

Right.

Joining a site in December 2013, then put in the effort of writing more than 2000 posts in a forum for two and a half years, to do six scams worth of a few thousand USD? If you want to scam, I think you could have as well done that after the first 300 posts or so...

Exactly. There are only two possibilities IMHO:

1 - Somebody nasty who doesn't like or is envious of Saadawi Sr. is attempting to destroy his rep. Hence the arrogant confession message on facebook.

2 - It's his grandson who is behind all of this and Saadawi Sr. is protecting him despite his folly and will give him a good spanking behind closed doors.

And for all the naysayers- he already said he plans to refund the people who lost money from his own pocket. What more do you want?!

It's all so random, so cold, so quiet, so perfect...

You just don't get the impression that it is a real person managing all of these social media portals:

http://ebrahimsaadawi.blogspot.fi/

https://plus.google.com/+EbrahimSaadawi/posts

https://www.instagram.com/ebrahimsaadawi/

The only thing organic about his social media presence are his forum posts.

5 minutes ago, Amro Othman said:

2 - It's his grandson who is behind all of this and Saadawi Sr. is protecting him despite his folly and will give him a good spanking behind closed doors.

And for all the naysayers- he already said he plans to refund the people who lost money from his own pocket. What more do you want?!

This is the most plausible and what I've assumed the whole time. That or Snr still has no idea at all.

How do you know he said that? All you know is that someone wrote that here, you have no idea who that was...

Honestly, I don't buy the story, but posting pictures (even when freely available on the internet) is out of tone, even disgusting in the case of an older person. One thing is giving our opinions and a different thing is starting a witch hunt. I mean, its 2000$, I wouldn't get too protestantic over it.

Anyway, I've been here since before Ebrahim Saadawi joined EOSHD, and I've read many posts from that account.

From the very beginning there was the note in the signature that two people from the same family with same name used the account. I always found it weird that people share an account, hence I remember noticing it from the very beginning.

I do believe that there is at least two people using the account - since there has been a difference in language and style of posts. I have no idea if there has been more than those two using the same account. Possible, I guess.

I don't think it's too constructive with all the speculation here. The only constructive thing would be to actually try to get in contact with Ebrahim senior - the most plausible thing is that both him and junior exist. That in itself might prove difficult for English-speakers, since Egyptian Arabic is the main language in Egypt. Hence if you want to google something regarding their persons (or companies) in Egypt - you better do it in Arabic.

Also, a good thing to read and keep in mind considering the speculations here, is the infamous case of when reddit tried to solve the Boston bombings: http://www.businessinsider.com/reddit-falsely-accuses-sunil-tripathi-of-boston-bombing-2013-7?r=US&IR=T&IR=T

I also remember Ebrahim doing a review of the Rangefinder with a disclaimer if memory serves correctly that SLRMagic shipped it to him for a review...The 'seller" in the add claimed a loss in the sale at $250, as he had paid $599 or 699 (don't remember the exact amount) for the item...does not seem like the real Ebrahim would have gone there in an add.