How I got scammed through "Ebrahim Saadawi"

Timotheus

I think the kid is just young and stupid and probably wants a new camera really bad or something. It comes across as an impulsive deed, not something structural, because we have all of his personal information (address). His confessions online. I found his brother and sister online, all of his friends and three of his professors at school. He comes from a good family and a good school. Right now it's still contained to this forum, so he can still make it right before it spirals out of control. PS what happened with Philip Bloom @jase?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
25 minutes ago, jase said:

As bad as this is, in my opinion you should hold a bit back @Ed_David. I get the feeling we get back to medieval age when I read that we should "embarass him" and "destroy his reputation", especially since I get this dejavu with Philip Bloom.

Yeah, won't be long until he is going full tilt on his blog about Ebrahim like he did with Phil. He loves that ;)

Sorry to hear that but the douche is right with one thing: never use Western Union, only paypal since you can dispute the transaction there and get your money back. WU is a big red flag in any transaction.

If it was me, I'll go full scale against him on social shaming via FB, Twitter, his school, friends and all I could find to corner this little piece of shit.

4 minutes ago, OliKMIA said:

Sorry to hear that but the douche is right with one thing: never use Western Union, only paypal since you can dispute the transaction there and get your money back.

If it was me, I'll go full scale against him on social shaming via FB, Twitter, his school, friends and all I could find to corner this little piece of shit.

Everything is already in place for that. This is the last chance to make it right. I also have some contacts in Cairo that are willing to drop by.

Man, that's really a shame. Not just because I've enjoyed a lot of his posts, but also because I had vauguely considered PMing him about the same rangefinder.

Always sucks to see it in your own back yard, hopefully this gets solved quickly and absolutely.

I guess we all like a good intriguing story.  Antagonist vs. Protagonist.  And perhaps, as storytellers ourselves, we might want to shape the plot a little bit.  

Be that as it may, best for me to let things unfold as a passive observer.  Who knows?  Maybe there's a twist that'll catch us by surprise.  

So, I'll mix my metaphors and say that I'm not really ready to light my torch or sharpen the prongs of my pitchfork.

I think we do like it when a smarmy bad guy get what's comin' to 'em, especially one of those snot nosed punk kids (shakes fists at troublemakers playing on my lawn) -- and this narrative looks familiar.  Maybe we can't help it.  Perhaps we've been conditioned by a lifetime of American movie tropes.

Im not a rich man but if I ever get scammed by someone like that, I would VERY happily spend the $1000 or whatever to fly there and find the guy and scare him VERY well.

That is not a threat, it is a promise. Scare/beat the shit out of/take every dollar he has and then enjoy my holiday.

We had a recent Tax scam here where I was called by 'the taxation dept' saying there was a warrant out for my arrest for tax evasion. This happened just after I had made some purchases and perhaps the sellers did not declare the full value on customs forms (naughty sellers!) At first my heart sunk. I thought it was legit. My wife googled around a bit and discovered it was a new scam. They leave you a phone number to call to sort out payment (to avoid further legal action of course) so I called and pretended I was really sorry and wanted to make it right and can I come in to their office with a cheque right away.

Geez I wish he gave me an address...

Not too many instances when I believe in violence but if you steal from me I will hurt you and take everything you have and leave you crying on the floor naked.

This kid needs some time on the floor naked and crying. Whos keen for a trip to Egypt?

Wow, very sad story. I'm sorry for you.

Few years ago I have been scammed when I sold my Canon 7D + lenses (...) and I finally found the real identity of the thief (thanks Google and the stupidity of the thief).
So I bought www.firstnamelastname.com (name of the thief) and written all the story.
The next day the thief come back to me asking to remove the website and offered to refund.
Of course, I declined :blush:

At least give him a chance to give his side of the story

The guy with the facebook post only has 9 posts and the OP 35 posts, yet it is all being taken as gospel (i'm not accusing either of you of lying, but it can happen).... I'm in no way taking sides here, If he did do it ... He deserves plenty of abuse, but think rationally first. It is not too hard to imagine that there are scammers out there who actively seek out these sort of "For Sale" sub forums and hack the account of the person in their country with the highest post number.

It is also not unfeasable to imagine that someone could get pissed at an online user for something and set up a couple of account to destroy his reputation around the internet. (Again, not accusing the OP here, just playing devil's advocate).

28 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The guy with the facebook post only has 9 posts and the OP 35 posts, yet it is all being taken as gospel (i'm not accusing either of you of lying, but it can happen).... I'm in no way taking sides here, If he did do it ... He deserves plenty of abuse, but think rationally first. It is not too hard to imagine that there are scammers out there who actively seek out these sort of "For Sale" sub forums and hack the account of the person in their country with the highest post number.

It is also not unfeasable to imagine that someone could get pissed at an online user for something and set up a couple of account to destroy his reputation around the internet. (Again, not accusing the OP here, just playing devil's advocate).

Have seen this myself on Facebook, where accounts have been cloned and then the original been taken down for a while. Nobody is any the wiser and all hell breaks loose - but not until a certain amount of time and trust has passed. These are not family accounts but political accounts where there is a clear divide between opposing ideologies. One is still ongoing and death threats have been made, people 'visited' and reputations utterly destroyed. All the false accusations happen away from the main pages and via private messages.

Yet the innocent parties have no clue what is happening until they are having their front doors kicked off. They are patiently waiting the 30 days to get their original accounts out of Facebook jail as the baseball bats rain down on them.

Seriously, wait until the man responds on here.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Yeah, I also feel that I need more info. I'm not saying he is innocent, but nor do I have enough to say guilty. Even that message posted earlier is just one side and out of context.

Philip Bloom looked a whole lot guiltier than this but was still defended by the forum under the "innocent until proven guilty" principle.

I will hold on to my stone for a while.

(BTW, if it was a planed scam, where are all the others that also bought it?It sounds to me like a deal gone wrong. Ecatly who is to blame is the question. But it doesn't seem to be a big planned scam on any large scale.

Again, not defending anyone, just thinking out loud.)

53 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Yeah, this thread is disgusting.  I understand the OP's feelings but for other forum members to pile on without any kind of investigation is terrible.