How I got scammed through "Ebrahim Saadawi"

Timotheus

• Super Members
1 hour ago, tweak said:

"If that happens"... indeed.

Speak for yourself, but my comments are driven by the desire to get to the truth. But I do agree that more talking about it will likely solve nothing, lets see what he comes up with.

p.s.
Lets be honest, right now we don't even know for sure that's Snr typing... Also whether their family already have a lot of money or not is irrelivant, this is the exact type of stunt a spoiled entitled rich brat would pull. It's about power and feeling they are better than somebody, not the money they get from doing it.

Nothing wrong with wanting the thruth, we all do. Just ease of on adding so much "info" that's just you're personal thoughts and loosely based theory's if your not gonna be clear on it. Because that will not help fnding the thruth, it will make it harder.

(Its actually a classic tactics in information warfare used everyday by nations and groups. Throw out so much info that the thruth gets lost and will always be under a thin layer of doubt. End anecdote.)

BTW, wierder things than this has happened so my mind is still open to all possibilities, including but not exclusively that it is a scam. Time will tell.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm not saying I'm right, I'm merely throwing some theories out for discussion (this is a forum after all)... I just find it ironic that people now think that this is Snr typing, I mean is this not just how everyone got scammed in the first place??? It's not like I'm condemning anyone, just trying to make sense of a strange situation. I'm also sure the truth will come to light in time.

I haven't thrown out any info, I'm open to all scenarios. I have nothing against  Eb Snr nor do I really think he did it. I'm 100% open to all possibilities as well, just adding some food for thought and personal experience/views to the topic. As far as I can see the case is wide open.

59 minutes ago, squig said:

I hope that wasn't directed at me, because it couldn't be further from the truth. Anyone who knows me from my time as a cinema5D moderator and 8 years on numerous forums knows I treat everyone with the respect they deserve.

There's an old saying: a picture tells a thousand words.

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 7.45.44 pm.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 7.45.54 pm.png

This to me is reason alone to Close their account or Ban both of the Saadawi's. I've never understood why they share an account & you never know who is actually posting - it's free to join after all, so why?

I know people steal other people's work & pass it off as their own, but when it happens between 2 people on the same forum it is certainly time for the Moderators to act.

As far as the scam goes, I don't think we'll ever get to the real truth of the matter, but I hope people have learnt a valuable leason - PayPal or nothing.

If a refund occurs, then all well & good.

However, it really is time that these 2 people uncouple & present themselves as 2 distinct individuals.

59 minutes ago, squig said:

I hope that wasn't directed at me, because it couldn't be further from the truth. Anyone who knows me from my time as a cinema5D moderator and 8 years on numerous forums knows I treat everyone with the respect they deserve.

There's an old saying: a picture tells a thousand words.

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 7.45.44 pm.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 7.45.54 pm.png

Stolen footage too. Watched Joshua's video and that reel, the sunset shot looks identical as well. 

Questions:

1. Do Saadawi senior and junior share the exact same name?  How else did this "scammer" take out the money from western union if it requires an ID?

2.  Older people, at least in Western culture, never boast about how much money they make.  Especially not a radiologist.  This leads me to believe it's not Senior who wrote that email.

3.  Does anyone know Saadawi in real life?

4.  Can we verify his information - that he works at that university?

5.  When you get a PM on EOSHD, doesn't it go straight to your email?  Unless someone disabled this.

6.  How many people have access to his gear closet?

7.  In the facebook enchange, he says he has a law background.  Probably lying.

Timotheus, if you don't get your money back in 5 days and if there is no further attempt to get your money back, I will personally look into this more.  Maybe hire a private investigator.

BUT IN all honesty, file a police report where you are, and in Egypt.  

It's a scam worth $2000.

His selling reputation globally is now compromised.  And soon maybe the university is going to start to find out

2 hours ago, The Chris said:

Stolen footage too. Watched Joshua's video and that reel, the sunset shot looks identical as well. 

At least, in most democracies, the State cannot throw a new charge at you in the middle of a trial. That is one of the problems with these courts of public opinion in the internet. If you are concerned about this footage issue, please open a new topic. Thus, there we can have a sane discussion about this case and copyright ethics, proper credit in film, and so on. Mixing things up will not help.

28 minutes ago, Ed_David said:

Questions:

1. Do Saadawi senior and junior share the exact same name?  How else did this "scammer" take out the money from western union if it requires an ID?

2.  Older people, at least in Western culture, never boast about how much money they make.  Especially not a radiologist.  This leads me to believe it's not Senior who wrote that email.

3.  Does anyone know Saadawi in real life?

4.  Can we verify his information - that he works at that university?

5.  When you get a PM on EOSHD, doesn't it go straight to your email?  Unless someone disabled this.

6.  How many people have access to his gear closet?

7.  In the facebook enchange, he says he has a law background.  Probably lying.

Timotheus, if you don't get your money back in 5 days and if there is no further attempt to get your money back, I will personally look into this more.  Maybe hire a private investigator.

BUT IN all honesty, file a police report where you are, and in Egypt.  

It's a scam worth $2000.

His selling reputation globally is now compromised.  And soon maybe the university is going to start to find out

I am shocked by the instances of moral lynching of some comments in this forum. No matter what the crime is, as far as I know, lynching someone is not an acceptable reaction (even in serious crimes such as murder). People are talking about going to Egypt and beat him, ruin his professional life, and more.

4 hours ago, tweak said:

"If that happens"... indeed.

Speak for yourself, but my comments are driven by the desire to get to the truth. But I do agree that more talking about it will likely solve nothing, lets see what he comes up with.

p.s.
Lets be honest, right now we don't even know for sure that's Snr typing... Also whether their family already have a lot of money or not is irrelivant, this is the exact type of stunt a spoiled entitled rich brat would pull. It's about power and feeling they are better than somebody, not the money they get from doing it.

And about the search for truth: we should be much more concerned with justice here. I think this is one of the problems with the criminal system of law. People think that it serves to find truth. Many experienced lawyers could agree that a trial has less to do with the truth behind a fact than, in the best cases, bringing justice to someone.

38 minutes ago, Ed_David said:

Questions:

Come on dude, he only mentioned that he makes good money to demonstrate how absurd it would be for him to scam people for 300 dollars here and 200 dollars there. 

9 minutes ago, tweak said:

\\

I agree - this shouldn't be a lynch mob.  You are right - I'm getting too into it.  I apologize.

Ebhahim should refund the money if he wants to do the right thing, and hopefully have his son or whomever shares his name or created a fake ID or whatever weird scenario exists where the person knows his password and the keys to his closet reemburse him

And this is a hard lesson learned - do not use western union.

It was a scam.

And we are now aware of this.

I hope Senior figures out who did this, maybe with the help of Junior!  And then all is resolved.

16 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Okay,

You have no obligation to trust my words, and I don't actually need you to trust them as it doesn't harm me in anyway.

Before anything else, this is Saadawi Senior. This comes as a shocker to me as much as it does to any of you. And I thank all of the comments on this thread speaking of how I helped them throughout the years here. Let me thank you deeply (as this is probably going to be my last chance before being banned). So truly, thank you. I learnt just as much from you, even from 16 year old who are getting into their first cameras offered me amazing help and prespective I'd never got in my 21 years shooting motion picture film. Again thank you. 

Regarding this scam. I have zero idea how it happened and how. All of Mattius guesses are plausible. But my first and most suspected guess (90% sure of it),

1- Is that someone here, someone close to me did it. 

I say so because no one outside of my close circle of Saadawi Media company knows and has access to my gear quite so specifically. And because the password of all my accounts on EOSHD/DVX/FB is pretty much known to be simply my name. So those are the ones who had access to perform such a scam. Thus, this is 100% someone close. 

2- It's not my grandson Ebrahim, as he asks for a thousand dollars and I give him. He never needed a penny that I didn't offer. We have a relationship stronger than iron, and we both need no money of this kind. I run a successful Nuclear Radiology Center, Lecture in Middle east's highest regarded universities, and I run Al Saadawi Media, let's not get into numbers but I have no need to scam anyone for 1000-2000 USD while I make that in a day, therefore neither does my grandson. Because what I make, he receives as well.   

3- To let you know: this isn't just Timotheus who's been scammed. I just looked into the inbox of this account on EOSHD and Facebook, and it's 6 people who have been scammed. Three were scammed for about 250-300$, and 3 were scammed for 650-700 USD for Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 Ai-S. And the buyers were given photographs of my actual personal items, not from somewhere else (which makes me baffled, he/she got into my gear closet and took these photographs SO incredibly rudely and fear-free. I can tell that by the little mark on the SLR on the front ring thread and from a unique accumulation of specks of dust on the Nikkor rubber zoom ring. 

4- I have no idea what to do or who to accuse or sue, no evidence and no way for me to proof who did it. And sadly, the sole channel to send money into Egypt is Western Union money Transfer (Paypal doesn't work as someone assumed earlier, it works only for sending out payments not vice versa), and the way the scam worked is that the buyer send the money as a regular transfer, just giving someone a payment for any reason, and once they recieve it of course there's no way to claim it back or sue or any of that. It's gone. So legally 6 people just sent him money and he received it, no more. 

5- I will do my best to figure out who did this to me, and wrote all these messages to more than 4 people that are incredibly insulting to me and to the reader and to the forums/countries where the sellers are from. 

6- Even if I couldn't figure out who did this, I promise that I will refund all of those who have been scammed through my own pocket someday, even when I have no obligation to.  

7- I will no longer use this account because more scams might be made through it. But I do hope it doesn't get banned just as reminder of the name and the contribution points. I'll just change the password and leave it as there. it's a shame because I considered EOSHD to be my bigger family. But anyhow even if members do trust me this situation will always keep a bad taste in your mouths for me and my sayings. 

8- For anyone who wishes to keep in contact with me, I'd happily do so through Ebrahimsaadawi@gmail.com as this is probably my last contribution here. 

Thank you and I am deeply sorry.

This post reads like bullshit to me..  why not refund the money right now, since you are so well off? Why would you be banned for trying to get on here and sort it out? And why would you say that you have no obligation to refund the money, when you admit it was someone very close to you? Does this not sound like the tone of the young punk and his message on facebook? Is there an Ebrahim Sr, or has it just been a scam all along? If there are 6 people admitted as being scammed, are there really more? Has someone been standing too close to a nuclear radiology machine?  Did we really go to the moon? Will a hero solve the mystery, get the girl, and ride off into the sunset? Time may tell:)

8 minutes ago, Michael Coffee said:

This post reads like bullshit to me..  why not refund the money right now, since you are so well off? Why would you be banned for trying to get on here and sort it out? And why would you say that you have no obligation to refund the money, when you admit it was someone very close to you? Does this not sound like the tone of the young punk and his message on facebook? Is there an Ebrahim Sr, or has it just been a scam all along? If there are 6 people admitted as being scammed, are there really more? Has someone been standing too close to a nuclear radiology machine?  Did we really go to the moon? Will a hero solve the mystery, get the girl, and ride off into the sunset? Time may tell:)

I had the same concerns. There are a lot of red flags in this post.

If he is indeed so wealthy to where he makes the amount of scammed money in a day, then refund it. Don't say you'll refund it "someday" and then say you have no obligation to do anything. 

And the biggest red flag of all is the "this will be my last post, I'm leaving forever". That is NOT something a innocent person would do. Saying you're worried about more scammers is not a logical concern.

Someone who was actually trying to make things right would not cut themselves off from us and the victims. But you know who would? A scammer.

It all just seems very transparent to me. The whole "this is terrible, I'd never do this! I'm so rich, why would I need to do this? Even though I'm so loaded and people were scammed of thousands of dollars in my name, I have no obligation to pay. But I will! Someday....oh by the way I'm never going to come back here again. Bye!" thing is soooo shady.

It doesn't make sense, people!

17 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Okay,

You have no obligation to trust my words, and I don't actually need you to trust them as it doesn't harm me in anyway.

Before anything else, this is Saadawi Senior. This comes as a shocker to me as much as it does to any of you. And I thank all of the comments on this thread speaking of how I helped them throughout the years here. Let me thank you deeply (as this is probably going to be my last chance before being banned). So truly, thank you. I learnt just as much from you, even from 16 year old who are getting into their first cameras offered me amazing help and prespective I'd never got in my 21 years shooting motion picture film. Again thank you. 

Regarding this scam. I have zero idea how it happened and how. All of Mattius guesses are plausible. But my first and most suspected guess (90% sure of it),

1- Is that someone here, someone close to me did it. 

I say so because no one outside of my close circle of Saadawi Media company knows and has access to my gear quite so specifically. And because the password of all my accounts on EOSHD/DVX/FB is pretty much known to be simply my name. So those are the ones who had access to perform such a scam. Thus, this is 100% someone close. 

2- It's not my grandson Ebrahim, as he asks for a thousand dollars and I give him. He never needed a penny that I didn't offer. We have a relationship stronger than iron, and we both need no money of this kind. I run a successful Nuclear Radiology Center, Lecture in Middle east's highest regarded universities, and I run Al Saadawi Media, let's not get into numbers but I have no need to scam anyone for 1000-2000 USD while I make that in a day, therefore neither does my grandson. Because what I make, he receives as well.   

3- To let you know: this isn't just Timotheus who's been scammed. I just looked into the inbox of this account on EOSHD and Facebook, and it's 6 people who have been scammed. Three were scammed for about 250-300$, and 3 were scammed for 650-700 USD for Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 Ai-S. And the buyers were given photographs of my actual personal items, not from somewhere else (which makes me baffled, he/she got into my gear closet and took these photographs SO incredibly rudely and fear-free. I can tell that by the little mark on the SLR on the front ring thread and from a unique accumulation of specks of dust on the Nikkor rubber zoom ring. 

4- I have no idea what to do or who to accuse or sue, no evidence and no way for me to proof who did it. And sadly, the sole channel to send money into Egypt is Western Union money Transfer (Paypal doesn't work as someone assumed earlier, it works only for sending out payments not vice versa), and the way the scam worked is that the buyer send the money as a regular transfer, just giving someone a payment for any reason, and once they recieve it of course there's no way to claim it back or sue or any of that. It's gone. So legally 6 people just sent him money and he received it, no more. 

5- I will do my best to figure out who did this to me, and wrote all these messages to more than 4 people that are incredibly insulting to me and to the reader and to the forums/countries where the sellers are from. 

6- Even if I couldn't figure out who did this, I promise that I will refund all of those who have been scammed through my own pocket someday, even when I have no obligation to.  

7- I will no longer use this account because more scams might be made through it. But I do hope it doesn't get banned just as reminder of the name and the contribution points. I'll just change the password and leave it as there. it's a shame because I considered EOSHD to be my bigger family. But anyhow even if members do trust me this situation will always keep a bad taste in your mouths for me and my sayings. 

8- For anyone who wishes to keep in contact with me, I'd happily do so through Ebrahimsaadawi@gmail.com as this is probably my last contribution here. 

Thank you and I am deeply sorry.

I'm not sure if anybody has noticed, but the style of writing reads quite different to Ebrahim Senior in this post. Some of the grammar is poor, and I've known Ebrahim to be consistently very well written. 

For all you guys know, this could be Junior or somebody else easily. 

For those who've been stung by the scam and had the trust breached, the right thing would be to request a video message to the forum so you know those words are legit, and that you'll get your money back. 

I'd personally never buy or sell anything of value from/to an African country. The amount of Internet scams from there are through the roof. I feel sorry for the good people who do what's right. 

1 hour ago, Kristoferman said:

I had the same concerns. There are a lot of red flags in this post.

If he is indeed so wealthy to where he makes the amount of scammed money in a day, then refund it. Don't say you'll refund it "someday" and then say you have no obligation to do anything. 

And the biggest red flag of all is the "this will be my last post, I'm leaving forever". That is NOT something a innocent person would do. Saying you're worried about more scammers is not a logical concern.

Someone who was actually trying to make things right would not cut themselves off from us and the victims. But you know who would? A scammer.

It all just seems very transparent to me. The whole "this is terrible, I'd never do this! I'm so rich, why would I need to do this? Even though I'm so loaded and people were scammed of thousands of dollars in my name, I have no obligation to pay. But I will! Someday....oh by the way I'm never going to come back here again. Bye!" thing is soooo shady.

It doesn't make sense, people!

Something's not right. Have searched on the net but could not find Media Company and Nuclear Radiology Center in Egypt. I suspect that there is only one 'filmmaker',

Ebrahim Junior. Just checked Instagram and Flickr profile; no pictures of his grandfather holding the camera - https://www.flickr.com/photos/ebrahimsaadawi/

OK, I might be wrong.

Below is a quote I copied from a drone inquiry made by Jonesy Jones. Thought it a curious request, and the writing and grammar inconsistent with Ebrahim's usually quite excellent English...anyway...remembered finding the post odd and the time, and then never gave it more attention till reading this thread...perhaps Jonesy can comment on what transpired after the below posted quote...it can be seen under the thread "Drones. Which one?" Its on the 2nd page of forum page 15...no idea whether it has anything to do with this mess...

Where are you located JOnsey? I've been seriously searching here for any DJI supplier new or used and there's none. Zero. I was going with the inspure plus x5r kit just for the sexiness of a raw gh4 footage. But ended up seeing it's a much much more sensible decision to start with DJI lowest end drone (Phantom 4 1080p I thinl? Why not do a pal a favpur and buy an extra one & ship it to me, as I havE no one abroad at the moment. I can transfer the fee through anu channel prior to the purchasr (we've been long enough here to trust one another) plus all the shipping and effort costs. This way we can start with a cheap phantom to really master flyinh and still do some projects with it and then have it as a fiture B aerial camera when we get an inspire, or what ever comes up then! I strongly advice going that way, the phantom 4k can produce amazingbresults  that most of youtube clients won't mind a bit, so getting that instinctive ability to drive the thing and the muscle memory on different situationd is absolutely essential before we go bigger, right? Btw a question, how do you actuall keep track of the drone and fly it? Does it give a live feed wirelesly? And if so, to what? and what range? Mters? Kilometers? And what happens when it goes out of that ramge, crasj? I more consirned about people safety as I'll be shooting incredibly high populated sma'' country (thonk like europe at rush hours in PAris UK, Etc, and and vertical crash WILL absolutelu hit someone 's skull. Of course I'll be training for months and months before taking it to a dense area, just the desert, but still accidents happen. how big and heavy is a phantom , would it cause a si,ple trauma if the worst ever happens. or concusion? Skull fracture and immediate death? If amy one has any experience of hitting people or hearing stories about people hit by these drones i'd love tp hear them, if it's seriously damaging i'll tota'ly resttict the usage to my roof 

Hope yoi can read through this spelling, writing from an old npkis phone with a aphysocal leyboard.

Jonesy Jones likes this  Like this