How I got scammed through "Ebrahim Saadawi"

Timotheus

I think its best Andrew as the owner of this site and forum looks into this matter and let's find the facts about what has happened first.  Please refrain from any negative or agressive comments , thanks Andy Lee - Mod

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, IshootbeforeItalk said:

Unfortunately I (Tomas) had the same experience here. When I confronted him about it on Facebook this was his reply. See attachment.

ebrahim comment.jpg

Holy shit, is this real? I'm stunned. I feel terrible for you and the other victims.

Just read Ebrahim's response and I suspect he's also a victim in this. Feel bad for him as well. I don't know what happened, but Ebrahim has always struck me as a very reputable guy, someone with integrity who is also incredibly helpful. So I feel bad for him as well. This whole situation just sucks. Hate it for all you guys. 

The last paragraph in that Facebook response is the most telling...

"But you already know that you're powerless right now to do anything to regain your money from someone you know nothing about his/her name, whereabouts, age, occupation, phone number, nothing, and that's why you're freaking out"

It would seem as though this person is admitting that he is not Ebrahim, I think I believe Ebrahim... What would he have to gain? Unless he came onto this board years ago with every intent of playing the long con to swindle a relatively small amount of money. Unlikely. 

32 minutes ago, mercer said:

Unless he came onto this board years ago with every intent of playing the long con to swindle a relatively small amount of money.

Regardless of the truth, I must admit a shameful vicarious fascination about everything.  The direct testimony suggests that the perpetrator has to be an intimate.  That's just incredible!  It's a tangled web, so mysterious, and kind of sad.

Not sure what good can come from this, but I hope it's something.

5 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Okay,

You have no obligation to trust my words, and I don't actually need you to trust them as it doesn't harm me in anyway.

Before anything else, this is Saadawi Senior. This comes as a shocker to me as much as it does to any of you. And I thank all of the comments on this thread speaking of how I helped them throughout the years here. Let me thank you deeply (as this is probably going to be my last chance before being banned). So truly, thank you. I learnt just as much from you, even from 16 year old who are getting into their first cameras offered me amazing help and prespective I'd never got in my 21 years shooting motion picture film. Again thank you. 

Regarding this scam. I have zero idea how it happened and how. All of Mattius guesses are plausible. But my first and most suspected guess (90% sure of it),

<snip>saving space</snip>

Thank you and I am deeply sorry.

My respect and admiration for Saadawi Senior has only gone up from his reply he just made. 

Is understandable if you feel like you need to take a break for a little while, but please do come back! :)

Biggest lesson here: don't use weak passwords! And keep them different. And change them. Don't leave yourself logged in unnecessarily.

6 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Okay,

You have no obligation to trust my words, and I don't actually need you to trust them as it doesn't harm me in anyway.

Before anything else, this is Saadawi Senior. This comes as a shocker to me as much as it does to any of you. And I thank all of the comments on this thread speaking of how I helped them throughout the years here. Let me thank you deeply (as this is probably going to be my last chance before being banned). So truly, thank you. I learnt just as much from you, even from 16 year old who are getting into their first cameras offered me amazing help and prespective I'd never got in my 21 years shooting motion picture film. Again thank you. 

Regarding this scam. I have zero idea how it happened and how. All of Mattius guesses are plausible. But my first and most suspected guess (90% sure of it),

1- Is that someone here, someone close to me did it. 

I say so because no one outside of my close circle of Saadawi Media company knows and has access to my gear quite so specifically. And because the password of all my accounts on EOSHD/DVX/FB is pretty much known to be simply my name. So those are the ones who had access to perform such a scam. Thus, this is 100% someone close. 

2- It's not my grandson Ebrahim, as he asks for a thousand dollars and I give him. He never needed a penny that I didn't offer. We have a relationship stronger than iron, and we both need no money of this kind. I run a successful Nuclear Radiology Center, Lecture in Middle east's highest regarded universities, and I run Al Saadawi Media, let's not get into numbers but I have no need to scam anyone for 1000-2000 USD while I make that in a day, therefore neither does my grandson. Because what I make, he receives as well.   

3- To let you know: this isn't just Timotheus who's been scammed. I just looked into the inbox of this account on EOSHD and Facebook, and it's 6 people who have been scammed. Three were scammed for about 250-300$, and 3 were scammed for 650-700 USD for Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 Ai-S. And the buyers were given photographs of my actual personal items, not from somewhere else (which makes me baffled, he/she got into my gear closet and took these photographs SO incredibly rudely and fear-free. I can tell that by the little mark on the SLR on the front ring thread and from a unique accumulation of specks of dust on the Nikkor rubber zoom ring. 

4- I have no idea what to do or who to accuse or sue, no evidence and no way for me to proof who did it. And sadly, the sole channel to send money into Egypt is Western Union money Transfer (Paypal doesn't work as someone assumed earlier, it works only for sending out payments not vice versa), and the way the scam worked is that the buyer send the money as a regular transfer, just giving someone a payment for any reason, and once they recieve it of course there's no way to claim it back or sue or any of that. It's gone. So legally 6 people just sent him money and he received it, no more. 

5- I will do my best to figure out who did this to me, and wrote all these messages to more than 4 people that are incredibly insulting to me and to the reader and to the forums/countries where the sellers are from. 

6- Even if I couldn't figure out who did this, I promise that I will refund all of those who have been scammed through my own pocket someday, even when I have no obligation to.  

7- I will no longer use this account because more scams might be made through it. But I do hope it doesn't get banned just as reminder of the name and the contribution points. I'll just change the password and leave it as there. it's a shame because I considered EOSHD to be my bigger family. But anyhow even if members do trust me this situation will always keep a bad taste in your mouths for me and my sayings. 

8- For anyone who wishes to keep in contact with me, I'd happily do so through Ebrahimsaadawi@gmail.com as this is probably my last contribution here. 

Thank you and I am deeply sorry.

Don't ban Ebrahim Saadawi, but Mr. Saadawi, your password should be atleast 10 Digits of Alpha Numerical with upper and lower case, ans atleast 3 symbols. 

Forget that for a moment. You Need to File a Police Case and a Cyber Crime Case in Egypt. This is an International Phishing Scam. And it has Affected Many people and your Reputation. And the Criminal is someone who is stealing from Your Home. Let him/ her be Handed Over to the Police.

I won't be Surprised if the Fake Sales run into Hundreds.

It is Your Duty to Ensure the Police takes this over. This is not some minor excusable infirmity.

And don't leave eoshd. Your comments and insights are very valuable.

Also, if you leave abruptly, it would caste a Suspicion on the fact that the Same Scammer is making this post this instead of you, and effectively closing the case, before it even opens. You would have to provide a daily update in the Case and the criminals involved. Everyone wants to know the truth.  As it Unfolds. 

Yeah, in the context of what's happening in France this is all peanuts...so so sad for all those people just having a good time :-(

Thanks Ebrahim Senior for replying (at least, if that's really you...). If what you're saying is true, I feel for you.

However, please consider, and if possible, clarify the following:

• WU money transfer pick ups require an ID. I provided the name Ebrahim Ebrahim Saadawi. Collection of the money was confirmed.
  • The conversation @IshootbeforeItalk had on facebook was with someone using your grandsons personal account, that's where that chat is coming from. So if hacking was involved, it is rather extensive...
  • I emailed you wednesday July 13th on the emailadress you mentioned above (so before this forum post). You did not reply.

Man, this thing is getting super weird. Fake identities, possible hacking. Like a Philip K. DIck novel..."A Scammer Darkly"

7 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Okay,

Before anything else, this is Saadawi Senior.

I say so because no one outside of my close circle of Saadawi Media company knows and has access to my gear quite so specifically. And because the password of all my accounts on EOSHD/DVX/FB is pretty much known to be simply my name. So those are the ones who had access to perform such a scam. Thus, this is 100% someone close. 

It's not my grandson Ebrahim, as he asks for a thousand dollars and I give him. He never needed a penny that I didn't offer. We have a relationship stronger than iron, and we both need no money of this kind. I run a successful Nuclear Radiology Center, Lecture in Middle east's highest regarded universities, and I run Al Saadawi Media, let's not get into numbers but I have no need to scam anyone for 1000-2000 USD while I make that in a day, therefore neither does my grandson. Because what I make, he receives as well.   

Dear Ebrahim, could you please post the link (Al Saadawi Media and Nuclear Radiology Center)? Thanks.

Gregor

So everyone who got scammed are "fools" for using Western Union, but Ebrahim is ok when he used his name as a password? Funny world we live in.

Right now nothing is clear. I mean you're only taking his word for it, do any of you actually know him personally?

Either way I feel really bad for Ebrahim and the others and I respect that he's willing to foot the bill for something that's partially his fault (if it actually happens). 

A lesson to take from this, especially as filmmakers, story writers etc...

Always take a moment to explore the angles.... Our job/hobby/passion is to literally and metaphorically show a story from various angles. Analyse every situation, be empathetic with all concerned (empathy understanding the actions/emotions of others, it is not necessarily about sympathising with them). Don't instantly look for a hero and a villain, think about the grey areas.

Sorry to go off on a tangent.

and yea.... have strong passwords and avoid western union!

One thing we can be certain of looking at Joshua's video: young Ebrahim has a history of fraud.

I'm not buying the hack theory. We know Ebrahim Jnr has a rangefinder. We know an ad was placed from his account on May 18. The OP claims Ebrahim JNr read and didn't respond to numerous DMs (easily verified). Ebrahim Jnr has been active on social media all this time; it's very hard to believe he didn't receive any notifications and an imposter was controlling his accounts.

7 minutes ago, squig said:

One thing we can be certain of looking at Joshua's video: young Ebrahim has a history of fraud.

I'm not buying the hack theory. We know Ebrahim Jnr has a rangefinder. We know an ad was placed from his account on May 28. The OP claims Ebrahim JNr read and didn't respond to numerous DMs (easily verified). Ebrahim Jnr has been active on social media all this time; it's very hard to believe he didn't receive any notifications and an imposter was controlling his accounts.

Exactly. Also it's only natural Snr would want to protect his families honour as that is very important in Egyptian culture. I feel bad for Ebrahim Snr.

1 hour ago, squig said:

I'm not buying the hack theory. We know Ebrahim Jnr has a rangefinder. We know an ad was placed from his account on May 28. The OP claims Ebrahim JNr read and didn't respond to numerous DMs (easily verified). Ebrahim Jnr has been active on social media all this time; it's very hard to believe he didn't receive any notifications and an imposter was controlling his accounts.

58 minutes ago, tweak said:

Exactly. Also it's only natural Snr would want to protect his families honour as that is very important in Egyptian culture. I feel bad for Ebrahim Snr.

I think we should move on. From now on, it is just speculation, a public tribunal that will only damage the reputation of someone further. Ebrahim Snr. is going to refund all buyers at his expense. If this tread did not bring justice to the buyers, I do not know what justice is. More accusatory comments (subtle or not) are just driven by revenge and desire to harm. Ebrahim Snr. acknowledged that the scammer is someone close to him. He will find out who the scammer is sooner or later and as he is the one most affected, financially (he will refund buyers) and in his reputation, he should decide what to do, not us. He said he will stop using the account, thus there is little chance that the scam will continue.

I urge the administrator to close the topic and be in contact with Ebrahim Snr. and the buyers via e-mail to confirm that they were refunded. If that happens, there is nothing more to discuss about it.      

"If that happens"... indeed.

Speak for yourself, but my comments are driven by the desire to get to the truth. But I do agree that more talking about it will likely solve nothing, lets see what he comes up with.

p.s.
Lets be honest, right now we don't even know for sure that's Snr typing... Also whether their family already have a lot of money or not is irrelivant, this is the exact type of stunt a spoiled entitled rich brat would pull. It's about power and feeling they are better than somebody, not the money they get from doing it.

1 hour ago, veraguth said:

More accusatory comments (subtle or not) are just driven by revenge and desire to harm.

I hope that wasn't directed at me, because it couldn't be further from the truth. Anyone who knows me from my time as a cinema5D moderator and 8 years on numerous forums knows I treat everyone with the respect they deserve.

There's an old saying: a picture tells a thousand words.

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 7.45.44 pm.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 7.45.54 pm.png