Buying a used 5d3 for stills and ML raw – Shutter Count, firmware, and other questions

kaylee

Guys I need your help!

Im shopping for a used 5d3, and I would really appreciate your feedback regarding some questions I have!

Just a few, here we go:

(1) while many sellers happily provide a shutter count, several people have said when asked that "There is no way to know the true shutter count. You can only tell how many shots were taken since last battery recharge which has nothing to do with actual shutter count", or something to that effect.

What the heck! I thought there were several software tools to determine that info... are they unreliable? Is this pure ignorance, or is there some truth to this? I find it hard to believe that an accurate number of actuations can only be determined by sending the body to Canon.

On the other hand, many sellers have no problem posting screenshots like this

00a0a_bXAeat3XY0O_1200x900.jpg

...I'm confused! What's goin on?

(2) Regarding firmware: I'm buying this body to shoot ML raw (exciting!!). It is my understanding that regardless of which version of Canon's firmware is currently loaded on the cam, a *previous* version can be loaded if necessary – is that correct? As a buyer should I care about which firmware is on the camera when I get it? 

(3) This is clearly subjective, but how much do you guys care about minor body damage, scrapes/etc? As long as the body isn't too beat up, it's all good to me, but is there anything in particular I should watch out for? A scratch-free LCD is my only priority I guess... anything I'm overlooking there?

(4) Anything else? – I'm gonna go see the camera in person and have the seller demonstrate the fact that it's working properly, making in focus exposures, etc, before I buy it ...am I forgetting anything? To be honest I have bought and sold like 12 cameras/lenses on craigslist here in southern California over the years, and I've never had any problems, but this is a big purchase for me and a camera which I may have for many many years to come, and I don't wanna screw this up...!

Any and all thoughts on my purchase would be MUCH appreciated. I might pull the trigger on this as soon as Saturday.... wish me luck~!

Thank you ❤️

K

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

1) Ignorance

2) Yeah, no problem.

3) Body damage could be an indication it's been dropped, but mine has a few scratches and it's never been dropped. Shake it and see if there's anything rattling around inside.

4) Dead pixels. Mine has 3. Magic Lantern MLVFS software has a fix. If the seller is just an amateur photographer they may not have noticed any dead pixels. The LCD could have dead pixels too, you won't see them without a z-finder.

5) HDMI port. They break easily.

6) If you wait until the 5D MK4 ships there should be a lot more MK3s for sale and the used price will go down, but the MK4 might not start shipping until Sept/Oct.

Happy hunting :)

Canon firmware not an issue for installing ML - if it comes with the newest canon build, it can be rolled back via EOS utility to a compatible firmware build - to then allow ML installation. Head over to the Magic lantern forum for any installation or operational details (it can take some digging around, but all the answers are there to be found). YouTube is also quite good to find tutorials on camera setup and file workflow.

+1 on checking mini HDMI socket - if you have a monitor, take it with you to check the port is operational...them ports can be expensive to get repaired. If you plan to shoot with an external monitor on the 5D3, it's highly recommend to use a HDMI lock or gripper to help protect the socket. I have a very nice one from SmallHD that fits the camera body like a glove and is nice and rugged.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1078745-REG/smallhd_acc_cam_pp_5dmk3_port_protector_for_canon.html

Yes - the SmallHD port protector is pretty sweet and not too expensive. I've got mine attached to the camera at all times (when in or out of a wooden camera cage) - and it is one of the most unobtrusive designs I've seen...and can be removed in seconds by one thumbscrew. The only issue I've encountered is that the protector slightly covers one side of the camera's base - so some larger tripod plates and some camera cages won't be able to fit flush to the camera. This is very easily solved by cutting some thin rubber mat material to compensate the other side to ensure a snug/ level fit.

Remember, if you testing the port on a TV, you will need a mini HDMI - HDMI (full size) cable. If you can not test out when you visit the seller, maybe just ask them if it works ok- most people are honest when meeting face to face ;)

@squig as covered everything else to look out for...some good advice there.

I have two 5d mkiii's I need to sell very fast. I'm currently in Dakar (Senegal) shooting a documentary about my great-grandfather who was an african king, and I've lost my travellers checks, and my credit cards refuse to work here. If you send me 500$ (US) for one, or 900$ for both I will send them for free. This is an EOSHD only offer for longtime posters only as I don't trust other people. Send me an PM if you are interested so I can give you the western union wiretransfer details. Act fast, once in a lifetime chance (I will throw in two extra batteries and chargers, and two Komputerbay x1066 128mb cards for each camera)

2 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

I have two 5d mkiii's I need to sell very fast. I'm currently in Dakar (Senegal) and I've lost my travellers checks, and my credit cards refuse to work here. If you send me 500$ (US) for one, or 900$ for both I will send them for free. This is an EOSHD only offer for longtime posters only as I don't trust other people. Send me an PM if you are interested so I can give you the western union wiretransfer details. Act fast, once in a lifetime chance (I will throw in two extra batteries and chatgers, and two Komputerbay x1066 128mb cards for each camera)

That is so tasteless and I love it. 

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

That is so tasteless and I love it. 

For nice guys like mercer I would throw in a loupe and a monopod, perfect for shooting short films in a fast manner.

Btw, these are special Canon cameras as I am the canon ambassator for Africa, this means they have C-log 10 bit internal so there is no need for PITA ML Raw file size and handling.

5 hours ago, Nikkor said:

I have two 5d mkiii's I need to sell very fast. I'm currently in Dakar (Senegal) shooting a documentary about my great-grandfather who was an african king, and I've lost my travellers checks, and my credit cards refuse to work here. If you send me 500$ (US) for one, or 900$ for both I will send them for free. This is an EOSHD only offer for longtime posters only as I don't trust other people. Send me an PM if you are interested so I can give you the western union wiretransfer details. Act fast, once in a lifetime chance (I will throw in two extra batteries and chargers, and two Komputerbay x1066 128mb cards for each camera)

What's the shutter count?

2 hours ago, squig said:

What's the shutter count?

omg ?

this is too funny i just legit spent three hours in traffic to see a 5d3 where the shutter count was a LIE~!!!! dude posted a screenshot of the clicks in his ad and i checked the serial when i got there and it was completely different! and to my face he was like "I dont know anything about that"

1 minute ago, kaylee said:

omg ?

this is too funny i just legit spent three hours in traffic to see a 5d3 where the shutter count was a LIE~!!!! dude posted a screenshot of the clicks in his ad and i checked the serial when i got there and it was completely different! and to my face he was like "I dont know anything about that"

What an arsehole.

1 hour ago, kaylee said:

omg ?

This is why I only trust respected members like myself (509 honor points).

My cameras have 12121 13337 shots.

I know you only have 251 points but I will make an exception, the only problem is that I will have to talk to your husband, father ,brother,cousin or uncle first to finish the deal as in my culture it is not allowed to sell things to women, I hope you understand this and respect diversity.

38 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

This is why I only trust respected members like myself (509 honor points).

My cameras have 12121 13337 shots.

I know you only have 251 points but I will make an exception, the only problem is that I will have to talk to your husband, father ,brother,cousin or uncle first to finish the deal as in my culture it is not allowed to sell things to women, I hope you understand this and respect diversity.

lmaooooo ? ? ? ? ? ?  omg