Smallrig Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera Cage pre-order

eekamouse

Have been keeping an eye on this cage and it's finally available for pre-order(thank you  Zak and all other contributors).

http://www.smallrig.com/SMALLRIG-Blackmagic-Micro-Cinema-Camera-Cage-1773_2.html

http://www.smallrig.com/SMALLRIG-Lock-HDMI-Protector-for-Cinema-Camera-1693.html

Had the Wooden Camera cage the day I received my micro and quickly realized, like many others, it had a design flaw in that it partially covered the Micro's buttons.    WC gear isn't cheap and I've seen their stuff in person at NAB and otherwise thought they made quality products, but felt they probably rushed the Micro cage.    Ironically I have a Smallrig top handle and nato rail affixed to the cage because the WC prices for their handles are obscene(I even have their HDMI port clamp and that was obscene in price).    

Also ordered the Smallrig HDMI port clamp.    Not bad for $62.05(including shipping) especially considering the WC cage was $120.   According to their website the cage is scheduled for delivery on July 31(I imagine this is when they expect to have stock to ship pre-orders).    

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, I just saw this over at BMCuser. Definitely the best design I have come across for the micro. I've been using a half cage designed for the pocket cam since both cams share the same height. It's been working nicely for me, but that preorder price is almost too good to pass up. Of course I am really surprised no company has come out with a hinged design so you can mount your monitor directly behind the Micro and have it tilt up and down like a regular LCD would on mirrorless cameras... Or even better yet, a battery/monitor in one that slides directly into the battery slot of the micro. The cam is so small, it's a shame to have to rig it up into some monstrosity. 

• 1 month later...

Got the cage and the HDMI clamp in yesterday and got around to switching out the Wooden Camera cage.   Build quality is on par with the WC.   The Smallrig is one piece and affixes to the bottom of the micro with two hex bolts, wheras the WC cage was not one piece and anchored with one hex bolt on top and bottom.   Overall I'm pleased.

It looks like it since the price went up.    I think someone over at bmcuser mentioned it isn't compatible with Wooden Camera's speedbooster foot, although Smallrig has their own support for Speedboosters.    Not an issue for me yet since I'm using native lenses.    

I e-mailed WoodenCamera after seeing they revised their Micro cage and was offered a brief explanation for the change and a 15% for the new cage but declined.    I intimated having seen their gear in person and was impressed with the build quality, to which their prices certainly reflect that; I get they're competing in a niche market and aren't selling them on the shelves at Walmart, however, based on the poor fit with their initial cage, I explained I don't think I'll be purchasing anymore WC gear in the foreseeable future.    The quiet revision coupled with no means for the initial buyers of the first cage to purchase maybe an upgraded sideplate(Based on the pictures it looks like they removed one row of mounting holes to free up more space on the control side), left a poor impression in my mind.     

Thanks again to Zak and others who submitted ideas during the design phase.    

• 2 weeks later...