Some shots with the ridicously impractical LOMO 35-NAP2-3M

Justin Bacle

Okay, let's be honest, this thing is huge, weighs a ton (3 kg), is not sharp and focuses at a minimum of around 6 meters.

But if I hadn't bought that a year ago "for fun", I would have never followed anamorphic stuff.
(The thing is crazy cheap, I'd say just the glass & metal to build this beast are worth more :p)
I think it is a good test for anyone willing to use anamorphics, you need A LOT of motivation to shoot with it !

As I just got my Isco Ultra-Star (blue star) after playing with the LOMO, I thought I might put a small video as it may be the last time I use the lomo for anything else than a paperweight.

(Oh, and the middle brass part of the isco is a pain to unscrew, did not manage to yet :s)

A picture of the setup, just for laughs ;)

twax51u.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

NAP was my first anamorphic attachment i got. Just placed front glass on the rig and put rear int the lens hood. With that i could focus as close as i want, easiest modding ever and best what u can get in terms of IQ and possibilities of using fast lenses. Im using it in my 4x ana project and done a lot of experiments with it. Yes its built like tank and weighs the same, but "not sharp"?) Learn what "aligning" is)

15 hours ago, Vladimir said:

NAP was my first anamorphic attachment i got. Just placed front glass on the rig and put rear int the lens hood. With that i could focus as close as i want, easiest modding ever and best what u can get in terms of IQ and possibilities of using fast lenses. Im using it in my 4x ana project and done a lot of experiments with it. Yes its built like tank and weighs the same, but "not sharp"?) Learn what "aligning" is)

Do you have pictures of the mod, I have trouble figuring how you put the rear elements in the lens hood. Sounds good if you can have close focus.

Aligning wasn't great year, but my setup was a bit wobbly :s

15 hours ago, tweak said:

image_21782.jpg

These are the tool if you have some around. I've used them on a few lenses.

Do you know what's the name of these tools ? I'll have to buy a couple I think :D

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2016 at 10:48 AM, tweak said:

Rubber Strap Wrench. But I think they are called other names as well.

I finally got my wrenches and was able to unscrew the anamorphic part !
A also got a clamp from RafCamera, which looks to do the job so far (I'll try to replace the tiny screws with ones I can unscrew w/o a tool)

I just finished shooting a short, so I'll try and shoot with the new adapter asap. So far, it looks sharper, but it vignettes very differently than my NAP35.

• 2 years later...
On 8/16/2016 at 4:20 AM, Justin Bacle said:

I finally got my wrenches and was able to unscrew the anamorphic part !
A also got a clamp from RafCamera, which looks to do the job so far (I'll try to replace the tiny screws with ones I can unscrew w/o a tool)

I just finished shooting a short, so I'll try and shoot with the new adapter asap. So far, it looks sharper, but it vignettes very differently than my NAP35.

After about a week of searching, I came to a realization that this is the only site/thread offering substantial help on unscrewing the rear element off the ISCO anamorphic lens...

Unfortunately, the wrenches above did not work for me:( Any other suggestions would be IMMENSELY appreciated.

MVIMG_20181226_183405 (1).jpg

On 12/27/2018 at 12:36 AM, boggyfresh said:

After about a week of searching, I came to a realization that this is the only site/thread offering substantial help on unscrewing the rear element off the ISCO anamorphic lens...

Unfortunately, the wrenches above did not work for me:( Any other suggestions would be IMMENSELY appreciated.

Did you try unscrewing these?

image.thumb.png.24027033affc89ba7306ba1b8cfe56d8.png

if you tried the rubber wrenches the next step up is a couple of big adjustable pipe wrenches with some rubber wrapped around the isco to stop it getting marked. a vise can be handy too. you are undoing anti clockwise right ?  mine unscrewed anti clokwise anyway.

there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason, some parts undo pretty easy and then there will that one piece that will take a vise and pipe wrench to get apart.  there's no logic whatsoever.  i think bold had some luck heating his up in an oven to expand the metal then undid it but you would want to be careful doing that. you could try some wd-40 lubricant on it. just a dab mind you, capillary action will wick it into the threads a couple of dabs over 24 hours would help. i would just go with the vise and pipe wrench just becareful not to over tighten it and crush it

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 11:30 AM, leslie said:

if you tried the rubber wrenches the next step up is a couple of big adjustable pipe wrenches with some rubber wrapped around the isco to stop it getting marked. a vise can be handy too. you are undoing anti clockwise right ?  mine unscrewed anti clokwise anyway.

there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason, some parts undo pretty easy and then there will that one piece that will take a vise and pipe wrench to get apart.  there's no logic whatsoever.  i think bold had some luck heating his up in an oven to expand the metal then undid it but you would want to be careful doing that. you could try some wd-40 lubricant on it. just a dab mind you, capillary action will wick it into the threads a couple of dabs over 24 hours would help. i would just go with the vise and pipe wrench just becareful not to over tighten it and crush it

Leslie - really great tips thank you! So far it's Isco 3 - me 0. No dice on WD-40, rubber wrenches or vise and pipe wrench.... It's laughable at this point ???

I'm trying to unscrew it counter-clockwise because I was able to unscrew the small top piece (pictured on right) that way.

My next step will be trying to expand the metal with heat and then maybe lower the temperature of the front of the lens, but going to do so with a plastic zip-lock and hot water (the oven would worry me a little). Maybe this combined with WD-40 again would work.  Stay tuned for my findings.

9 hours ago, boggyfresh said:

Leslie - really great tips thank you! So far it's Isco 3 - me 0. No dice on WD-40, rubber wrenches or vise and pipe wrench.... It's laughable at this point ???

I'm trying to unscrew it counter-clockwise because I was able to unscrew the small top piece (pictured on right) that way.

My next step will be trying to expand the metal with heat and then maybe lower the temperature of the front of the lens, but going to do so with a plastic zip-lock and hot water (the oven would worry me a little). Maybe this combined with WD-40 again would work.  Stay tuned for my findings.

are you sure you haven't missed any little screws around the outside ?  i have heard of paint covering them over,  making disassembly  near impossible