A7SII or A7RII ?

ricardo_sousa11

On 11. 7. 2016 at 11:32 AM, ricardo_sousa11 said:

I am looking to shoot sull frame only, I have the NX1which, in my opinion, is one amazing S35 camera and I intend on keeping it.

Ricardo, maybe one day there will be speedbooster for NX1. Lucabutera just created prototype of NX speedbooster. Just check this below:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, spencer6891 said:

The a7rII doesn't overheat at all, the a6300 does. Its also not FF, which is what the OP wants.

All of the aps-c E mount bodies are plagued by overheating, I speak from experience as I've owned all of them since the Nex5, doesn't matter what it costs if it keeps shutting down mid shot. It's a fine tourist type camera, but it's incredibly unreliable as a workhorse 4k body, the A7rII can shoot all day without issue. Used a7rII bodies are in the $2500 range. 

I'd own two a6300's if they didn't constantly shut down when shooting 4k, but that's just not the case. Maybe the XT2 doesn't suffer from the same problems with overheating, if so I'll give it a look.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

What the hell!?!?!?!

This just made my day! And he already has some footage, this is stunning!

Yes :-) it is great! Question is when we will be able to buy one.

But it is important that it is possible.... that we can have full frame NX1.

I just asked Philip Bloom on FB what his choice would be between the A7RII and A7SII, he says the A7RII is better than the A7SII, with slightly inferior lowlight performance. This was his actual comment :

a7rii is the best all rounder. superb video and still autofocus, superior stills, video excellent. a7sii inferior stills and inferior autofocus, superior video but no s35 4k mode, superior low light performance.

9 minutes ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

I just asked Philip Bloom on FB what his choice would be between the A7RII and A7SII, he says the A7RII is better than the A7SII, with slightly inferior lowlight performance. This was his actual comment :

I have both cameras, and agree

29 minutes ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Even for someone who does 95% video, and searching for a full frame camera? I dont want to shoot it in S35 mode and buy a metabones, I want a ready to shoot camera, without much fiddling.

Again: The FF mode in the A7r 2 is great, it has plenty of detail (~3K/3.5K), almost no moire or aliasing, better RS than the A7s 2, and is clean up to iso 3200. 

6 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Again: The FF mode in the A7r 2 is great, it has plenty of detail (~3K/3.5K), almost no moire or aliasing, better RS than the A7s 2, and is clean up to iso 3200. 

I agree. A7rii owner and I am very satisfied with the came. But I believe that FF is more like real 4K except when you get moire (but if you avoid cityscapes you should be fine). The aps-c mode is like almost 5k. 

On 7/20/2016 at 0:08 AM, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Even for someone who does 95% video, and searching for a full frame camera? I dont want to shoot it in S35 mode and buy a metabones, I want a ready to shoot camera, without much fiddling.

Why the obsession with so called "FF"?? Most of the blockbosters are shot with S35/APS-C, it is the standard, not FF.

21 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Why the obsession with so called "FF"?? Most of the blockbosters are shot with S35/APS-C, it is the standard, not FF.

Large sensor capture is gaining momentum, quite a few blockbusters were shot on Alexa 65, that's bigger than FF, also RED Dragon were used a lot on productions.

Alexa 65 and REDs are but a tiny tiny tiny niche at the moment in the grand scheme of things.

And many DoPs don't like REDs which require difficult troubles in finding cinema lenses which will cover their full resolution. Thus why RED announced a S35 8K!

Many believe the size of s35 is a good balance between speed of lenses and shallowness of depth of field for motion picture filming. You can use fast lenses and still have enough DOF to not give your focus puller PTSD. Having shot with FF, s35 and smaller sensor cameras I tend to agree with that setiment. Of course having the option for larger formats is very welcomed.

12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

This second body is mostly for the lowlight capabilitites, where my NX1 isnt as good, and to do wedding videos, which I believe the FF aesthetic works quite nicely because of a softer look. S35 is more than enough, but in my thinking, since I wanna invest, maybe I should get something that would add to my current setup, and not just another NX1.

If I could, however, id get an FS5 or something like that, with a much wider DR, but thats way out of budget.

On 26/07/2016 at 11:18 PM, IronFilm said:

Most films are actually shot anamorphically (blockbosters I think, or has that changed since everyone went digital?). That essentially makes the sensor area larger and you can achieve that look (especially in wideshots) way easier with a full frame sensor than actually going anamorphic s35.

Though nowadays you can get cameras like Arri 65 and you can shoot spherically stuff like The Revenant and give it that awesome FF quality (Or would you tell Emmanuel Lubezki that he is just obsessed for no reason?)