The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

From my tests today, the face detect AF in video is very effective indeed.

I tried it on 18-55 f2.8-4, 35 f1.4, 50-140 f2.8 and the 50-230 f4.5-6.7

The weakest (although its all relative as it was still good) was the 35 f1.4

I was just shooting someone cooking (all handheld) so the subject was nipping around a bit and being front on, side on and facing away from the camera and moving towards it as well and it performed brilliantly to be honest. I was doing some manual crane ups from foreground objects such as bowls and appliances with the subject in the background and as soon as the face came into view during the raise it locked on to it and racked smoothly without overshooting. 

The big downer of course is that in only does this in HD rather than 4K but you never know with Fuji and they might bring it in next time.

The other niggle I have is that AF Lock doesn't work when you have face detect on and it would have been nice to be able to hold focus on a foreground object and then let it got to choose when it racked to the face.

All in all though, I must say that if I had to shoot a similar subject in a documentary type style then I'd go as far as to say that I'd forego the 4K and choose to shoot it in HD so I could use the face detect. Focus beats resolution all day long when you have to get the shot.

• Super Members

And an approving nod for being able to change the ISO whilst recording as well. 

Having the dedicated ISO dial on the X-T2 makes for a very ergonomic and fast solution for a quick and dirty exposure correction when pushing in or out with variable aperture zooms.

• Super Members
55 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

@jonpais veeeery nice

@BTM_Pix Are you sure the face tracking has been improved? It still seems pretty unreliable to me

Everything I've been doing with the X-T2 AF testing wise had been stills and the new firmware coincided with me looking at video performance so I've got nothing to compare it to in terms of previous testing.

I did find it performed very well though in a bit of an uncontrolled task but it was decent (if only available) light and no motion in the background for it to be attracted to so it needs more of a challenge perhaps. What I would say though is that it pissed all over the G7 I was using last week which struggled to hold focus on a locked off talking head shot.

• Super Members
46 minutes ago, Kubrickian said:

The one thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on an X-T2 is the predictive focus-by-wire of most of Fuji's lenses where the response isn't linear. Is manual focusing usable at all? 

Half a turn gets you to 1.5m and another quarter turn gets you to infinity.

On the upside the manual focusing aids are pretty good and the peaking certainly announces its presence loudly enough!

Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

• Super Members
1 minute ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I think it's a side effect of stepping motors, as Canon's STM lenses have the same problem.

Yeah, you can pretty much feel each step on the 27mm pancake.

Its feels like you're safe cracking !

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

No, stepper motors allow lenses to make smooth transitions from position to position so that AF in live view/video works quickly and looks natural.

Ignore me, I was just being flippant.

I meant it has about 8 steps per revolution on that lens and you can feel every one of them.

6 hours ago, Kubrickian said:

The one thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on an X-T2 is the predictive focus-by-wire of most of Fuji's lenses where the response isn't linear. Is manual focusing usable at all? 

I hardly ever use manual focus these days, but just out of curiosity, I just tried out the manual focus ring on my 50mm f/2 and it feels awesome - nicely dampened, very responsive. What I dislike more than not having stops are rings that are too loose. I'd encourage you to pick one up and try it for yourself. I'm not at home now, so I can't compare the 50mm to my other Fuji lenses.

Edit: each lens is different. But you can always use manual focus Rokinons, or, like many here are doing, shoot with Nikkor lenses with an adapter. They are very compact as well.

7 hours ago, Inazuma said:

I heard somewhere that the 16-55 f2.8 focus ring is almost like a real manual lens. Can anyone confirm?

I've only got one manual lens to compare, the Nokton 17.5mm, and none of my lenses come remotely close. Not the Oly 75mm f/1.8, with its clutch system, and certainly not the Fuji 16-55mm. But the focus ring is well dampened for an AF lens, for what that's worth.