The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

On 2/23/2017 at 6:28 AM, Phil A said:

Just managed to bring myself to the point of considering to let go of my NX1, a lens and X100s to buy a used X-T2 because I still have the 23mm f/1.4 and I really like Fuji.

Then for once I had an itch and decided to first check if the SmallHD field monitors work with the X-T2. Alas, just like the NX1 the X-T2 is also not supported by the SmallHD 500 & 700 series. I really wonder what magic sauce SmallHD uses that they struggle with a bunch of hybrid camers, seems like VideoDevices and Atomos don't have these problems.

BlackMagic Video Assist 4K?

• 4 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-officially-announces-new-firmware-x-t2-x-pro2-33-improvements-full-list/

The firmware update to be announced tomorrow has been leaked. The EVF-LCD switching once you are recording seems to finally get fixed, that's great I think because a lot of people complained about that.

Kinda surprised though that there is still no internal F-Log.

5 minutes ago, Phil A said:

http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-officially-announces-new-firmware-x-t2-x-pro2-33-improvements-full-list/

The firmware update to be announced tomorrow has been leaked. The EVF-LCD switching once you are recording seems to finally get fixed, that's great I think because a lot of people complained about that.

Kinda surprised though that there is still no internal F-Log.

It's not a leak :P They said they'd announce it on March 23 and it's Mach 23 in Japan now.

Some great stuff in there!

"15. Change of ISO sensitivity during video recording (X-T2 only)
The update allows you to change ISO setting during video recording.

16. Re-autofocusing in video recording
With the update, half-press the Shutter Release button or press the button assigned to “AF-ON” function during video recording to re-do autofocusing."

Thank god!

6 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

It's not a leak :P They said they'd announce it on March 23 and it's Mach 23 in Japan now.

Some great stuff in there!

"15. Change of ISO sensitivity during video recording (X-T2 only)
The update allows you to change ISO setting during video recording.

16. Re-autofocusing in video recording
With the update, half-press the Shutter Release button or press the button assigned to “AF-ON” function during video recording to re-do autofocusing."

Thank god!

I'm still reading through the list. Got my histogram in video! Are you going to cancel your Sony order now? :) 

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I'm still reading through the list. Are you going to cancel your Sony order now? :) 

They've fixed some of the quirks but I think my main gripes are to do with the hardware, like the small grip, lack of IBIS (got shaky hands) and lack of touchscreen (which would have made its excellent AF that much more useful). Who knows though. Maybe I'll end up feeling like I just can't let go of that Fuji SOOC image and the much sharper 60fps 1080p. I hope some of the updates make it into the X-T20 as well. 

11 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

They've fixed some of the quirks but I think my main gripes are to do with the hardware, like the small grip, lack of IBIS (got shaky hands) and lack of touchscreen (which would have made its excellent AF that much more useful). Who knows though. Maybe I'll end up feeling like I just can't let go of that Fuji SOOC image and the much sharper 60fps 1080p. I hope some of the updates make it into the X-T20 as well. 

Would have been nice of Fuji to offer an app that really works with video. As it is, I can't even use it for vlogging at home.

5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Would have been nice of Fuji to offer an app that really works with video. As it is, I can't even use it for vlogging at home.

The improved face detection might make it usable in video so you dont need to see yourself on a screen? BTW when I made my video review the camera was actually in AF-C the whole time with a central or whole area focus box and I had no problems.

Just now, Inazuma said:

The improved face detection might make it usable in video so you dont need to see yourself on a screen?

Face detection in video? Didn't even know it had that! hahaha I guess I could compose using the app, turn the camera off and on again... nah. I don't like AF-C when I'm just going to be sitting in one place slobbering into my drool cup in a rocking chair. I want single point AF. Guess I could always hire one of the cuties here to be my assistant... :) 

Btw @Phil A If you shoot ProNegStandard with -2 highlights and shadows you get quite a lot of dynamic range. Test it out yourself by shooting a RAW still and shooting a video with the same settings. When you reduce the contrast in post it looks close to FLOG footage. Make sure you expose to just before highlight clipping and you'll see the shadow recovery is not far off from a RAW still.

@jonpais Nvm. Forgot face detect only works in 1080p :)

@Inazuma I read that and I have seen some beautiful videos on YouTube that had the ridiculously good Fuji colors that were shot with ProNeg and Classic Chrome. If the X-T20 had good rolling shutter like the X-T2 I would have already picked up one of those to try out but it is basically the same issue like the a6300.

I'm kinda reluctant to sell the a6300 and get the X-T2 because then I'm still stuck with 8bit (which migh be ok, seeing how you have to bend them less with the good Fuji colors and I also get satisfying results out of the unpopular SLog2/SGamut3cine already) and no IBIS (I want to be able to handhold the camera for once in a while). The 23mm 1.4 is such a outstanding lens for an APS-C system though.
I'm curious what NAB will bring. But realistically Sony A7 3rd generation or a A9 will be out of my budget, there won't be a A6500 replacement to fix the usability issues any time soon, the GH5 needs Speedbooster and f/1.4 lenses for my photography tastes and god knows what if anything will come from BMD. I always have the urge to not wait but I'm afraid of miss-spending money I could better invest on traveling or something.

By the way, how is the 1080p60 in regards to moire and aliasing?

9 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

@Phil A The X-T20 has worse rolling shutter than the XT2?

1080p aliasing is pretty low.. similar to the Panasonic G85. But moire is a bit moré of a problem. Have just uploaded this for your pleasure

Thanks. The moire still looks okish, should be doable.

And about the rolling shutter, well I read a bunch of places that it's more than X-T2 and probably in the NX1/A6300 area. For example the Cinema5D review mentioned "Severe rolling shutter when shooting in 4k. (comparable to the Sony a6300) but much better in HD".

Normally I trust on the measurements by Samuel H on DVXuser but there are none for the X-T20 so far. Interestingly he also measured the X-T2 at 30ms with his method and so far he has been quite accurate (got results that were also confirmed by manufacturers), but Cinema5D says the X-T2 has low rolling shutter (I think 21ms-ish?).
GH5 really sets the new standard with 15ms plus the really good IBIS.

@jonpais

Jon, I know you are shooting with the X-T2. I saw some very good photos and footage out of this camera and hold this camera for some hours in my hands but there was not time enough for all tests I need.
I would like to know - if possible - how about the focusing ability (AF) of the X-T2 in low light and low contrast situations? (for shooting photos and video)

Thank you!