The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

I used the NX1 for about 4 years and did numerous paid gigs with it. the footage from the camera looks top-notch when it's lit well. but I really got frustrated when I had to shoot in situations (run and gun) where the lighting wasn't ideal. the footage starts looking really muddy. and with the type of work I do, I needed a camera that can handle above ISO 800/1600.

to me the X-T2 is a great replacement; great skin tones, internal 4K on an SD card, and the price is not too high. but I do miss how the NX1 feels in your hands. that was perfection. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@tokhee it can't be 4 years, but I know what you are talking about. NX1 above 3200 falls apart and I believe it is some stupid threshold on the coded because shooting raw the image is much more capable of coping with extremities. On the other hand, and the 16-50S where I can go to 2f from 16-24mm (24-35equiv) and 2.8f to the rest of the range, I do not need to go above 2000ISO which I am very comfortable using the camera.

I am using NX1 with Ronin all the time, and the AF has never failed me (we do use some lighting for indoor shooting of course).

I see Fuji doing big leaps forward, I can predict that the X-T2 will be surpassed pretty soon by another Fuji camera, sooner than previous generations, the competition is growing bigger and bigger; too bad Samsung isn't around any more to push everything a step forward.   

Looks like the X-T2 could be the replacement for many NX1 users when then time is right for them to retire their NX1 :)  NX1 users are very loyal and maybe a little fanatical (just a little LOL) so I think they will naturally gravitate to Fuji to find a home instead of Canikon or Sony.

I'm different to most here in that I'm not professional and just do this for fun and 99% handheld video on the streets, but my options are getting less and less with every camera that's released. I simply hate fully articulating screens and it seems every camera that comes out these days has one !! Until I got he G85 I didn't realise how disorientating that screen makes me feel when trying to stealthily film on the street. So unnatural.  The X-T2 doesn't have a FAS thank god so it's at the top of my list at the moment but I haven't made the jump yet. Also looking at getting an ARii again but that's a frustrating camera in other respects (dim screen when filming outdoors, wait for ever for data to write to card, menus all over the place etc etc)

I did go and play with a couple of X-T2s again yesterday, and it does feel like a nice camera but I'm not 100% convinced yet. One thing I couldn't see when in movie mode yesterday when changing settings was an exposure needle on the screen but I'm sure that's a setting somewhere.

In some ways, I should just choose my next camera on stills quality alone because my GX85 is about as perfect as it gets for me for street video :) 

What does surprise me every time I play with the X-T2 is how bloody effective the OIS is in the 18-55 for filming. I felt just as good as Olympus IBIS. Amazingly steady.

I reckon Fuji's next big FW update for the X-T2 will include some goodies for video. I'd love to see F-LOG available internal but who knows.  

10 hours ago, jonpais said:

The lens lineup is incredible. Hopefully, the X-T3 will have a touch screen, a new sensor and IBIS. 

I think it will have a touch screen for sure. My little Fuji X70 (which can't focus for shit) has one and it works pretty well ... in a limited way.

If they somehow add IBIS to the X-T3 it would be amazing. Could they do this I wonder. Would be such a bonus if they did.

23 minutes ago, Dean said:

Looks like the X-T2 could be the replacement for many NX1 users when then time is right for them to retire their NX1 :)  NX1 users are very loyal and maybe a little fanatical (just a little LOL) so I think they will naturally gravitate to Fuji to find a home instead of Canikon or Sony.

I'm different to most here in that I'm not professional and just do this for fun and 99% handheld video on the streets, but my options are getting less and less with every camera that's released. I simply hate fully articulating screens and it seems every camera that comes out these days has one !! Until I got he G85 I didn't realise how disorientating that screen makes me feel when trying to stealthily film on the street. So unnatural.  The X-T2 doesn't have a FAS thank god so it's at the top of my list at the moment but I haven't made the jump yet. Also looking at getting an ARii again but that's a frustrating camera in other respects (dim screen when filming outdoors, wait for ever for data to write to card, menus all over the place etc etc)

I did go and play with a couple of X-T2s again yesterday, and it does feel like a nice camera but I'm not 100% convinced yet. One thing I couldn't see when in movie mode yesterday when changing settings was an exposure needle on the screen but I'm sure that's a setting somewhere.

In some ways, I should just choose my next camera on stills quality alone because my GX85 is about as perfect as it gets for me for street video :) 

What does surprise me every time I play with the X-T2 is how bloody effective the OIS is in the 18-55 for filming. I felt just as good as Olympus IBIS. Amazingly steady.

I reckon Fuji's next big FW update for the X-T2 will include some goodies for video. I'd love to see F-LOG available internal but who knows.  

I think it will have a touch screen for sure. My little Fuji X70 (which can't focus for shit) has one and it works pretty well ... in a limited way.

If they somehow add IBIS to the X-T3 it would be amazing. Could they do this I wonder. Would be such a bonus if they did.

The exposure needle is located to the left of the screen in the X-T2. It's very tiny. Aside from that, no exposure aids in video mode - the histogram is only available in stills, and there are no zebras either. From what I understand, they'd have to replace the X Trans sensor in order to allow IBIS. The new GFX has a CMOS sensor with standard Bayer RGBG so maybe we'll see something like that in the X-T3.

They will go IBIS eventually, everybody does. Fuji is the only camera not offering any kind of stabilization, even NX1 and M5 offer some kind of e-stabilizer(DIS).

..and touch screen, it offers so much in terms of usability, speedy changes, menu and play back easyness, advanced AF selection, and why not, 1 touch photos.

I was never a fun of fully articulating screens either!

@jonpais ...you Said: 

The lens lineup is incredible. Hopefully, the X-T3 will have a touch screen, a new sensor and IBIS. 

I Hope in 5 years :-)... Than i have the Money for the X-T3

For the x-t2 I need f-log intern, 10bit etc ..... Ibis and touchscreen I do not need.

The X-T2 along with any of Fuji's f/2 lenses works great on a Zhiyun Crane - the 23mm, 35mm and 50mm lenses will all work fine, and it's super easy to balance, around five minutes tops. I believe I saw some videos where they used the kit zoom as well, it's fairly small as well and has OIS. So it's not as if you can't go out and shoot while walking around. No doubt, IBIS + gimbal would be better still.

Just got back from business trip in India.. XT2 ended up being the perfect travel companion. Camera managed to attract little to no attention which was vital to us. I'll admit I was nervous going over there with just the Fuji (although my partner had an A7S for gimbal/night shots) but the XT2 served me well. I did get one overheating warning on a particularly warm day (camera didn't shut off but it was burning hot). Also the 10mn limit drove me a little crazy during interviews (should have bought the grip for boost mode i know). But other then that it was a breeze to setup and shoot. The A7S footage has got a bunch of scenes with it's infamous color/WB issues, whereas XT2 nailed it on auto 98% the time. That alone is pretty great.  I was shooting AF-C the whole time, but would use AF-lock to avoid unwanted hunting (XT2 seems to often want to hunt unexpectedly). I've also assigned a button to "preview profile" to better assess a scene without film simulation which often add too much contrast. Finally 4K footage imported super easily for edit in not so recent 2012 Macbook. Another good surprise.

All in all very impressed by it's performance, will purchase the grip for boost mode and choose cam again on my next long-distance trip. C100 / DSLRs are feeling clunky and dated all of a sudden!

xt2 skybar.jpg

13 minutes ago, Django said:

Just got back from business trip in India.. XT2 ended up being the perfect travel companion. Camera managed to attract little to no attention which was vital to us. I'll admit I was nervous going over there with just the Fuji (although my partner had an A7S for gimbal/night shots) but the XT2 served me well. I did get one overheating warning on a particularly warm day (camera didn't shut off but it was burning hot). Also the 10mn limit drove me a little crazy during interviews (should have bought the grip for boost mode i know). But other then that it was a breeze to setup and shoot. The A7S footage has got a bunch of scenes with it's infamous color/WB issues, whereas XT2 nailed it on auto 98% the time. That alone is pretty great.  I was shooting AF-C the whole time, but would use AF-lock to avoid unwanted hunting (XT2 seems to often want to hunt unexpectedly). I've also assigned a button to "preview profile" to better assess a scene without film simulation which often add too much contrast. Finally 4K footage imported super easily for edit in not so recent 2012 Macbook. Another good surprise.

All in all very impressed by it's performance, will purchase the grip for boost mode and choose cam again on my next long-distance trip. C100 / DSLRs are feeling clunky and dated all of a sudden!

xt2 skybar.jpg

Great to hear you're getting along with the X-T2 at last. It takes a while to look past its shortcomings, huh? I've been loving using it on the Crane. And like you say, the colors are great and require little correction in post.

56 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Great to hear you're getting along with the X-T2 at last. It takes a while to look past its shortcomings, huh? I've been loving using it on the Crane. And like you say, the colors are great and require little correction in post.

yeah it does have it's quirks but in the end the pros do far outweigh it's cons. i can't stand the Sony's now. Internal log is the only thing they really have over it.

can't wait to get more lenses for the Fuji and go out shooting.. it's a fun camera!

@jonpais

the skin tones are wonderful right out of the camera (most of the time!)

The video is about JPEG...But I simply don't understand the eternal discussions on this topic (JPEG). When working with RAW, you can give your shots every appearance and color nuance you want, completely independent of the cam you shoot with. You just have to initially spend about an hour of work (one time) to set the (skin color) profiles you want. After that you can attach to every image any color appearance you want. If one is convinced, Canon had the "best skin tones" ever (me and many other people are not), you could put the precomposed Canon profile on every RAW image shot with a XYZ camera and get the exact Canon profile and overall match...By ONE klick...

So what? Apart of this, the X-T2 has (in my eyes) very good skin tones. Sure, they are not everybody's taste, but the color science of the X-T2 makes this camera outstanding from other manufacturers. In my eyes, a unique selling point for "special color fans"...

12 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

@jonpais

The video is about JPEG...But I simply don't understand the eternal discussions on this topic (JPEG). When working with RAW, you can give your shots every appearance and color nuance you want, completely independent of the cam you shoot with. You just have to initially spend about an hour of work (one time) to set the (skin color) profiles you want. After that you can attach to every image any color appearance you want. If one is convinced, Canon had the "best skin tones" ever (me and many other people are not), you could put the precomposed Canon profile on every RAW image shot with a XYZ camera and get the exact Canon profile and overall match...By ONE klick...

So what? Apart of this, the X-T2 has (in my eyes) very good skin tones. Sure, they are not everybody's taste, but the color science of the X-T2 makes this camera outstanding from other manufacturers. In my eyes, a unique selling point for "special color fans"...

I wasn't aware that there were eternal discussions about the JPEGs, since I'm primarily a video shooter. Sorry about that. Anyhow, he always shoots JPEG and RAW and just uses the JPEGs as a reference point, AFIK. Also, I notice he shoots without altering the highlight and shadow curves; if he'd lowered highlights and shadows a bit, the results would have been a tad closer.

Video From Dvxuser 'macgregor using Pro neg.

-I haven't had the chance to try it yet but whats the consensus on Classic Chrome vs pro neg std? - Slightly less DR? and more contrast/saturation?

-When I manual focus, if I change aperture on the lens it shifts focus.  any ideas? 

-Any solutions to the hunting auto focus other than holding Af lock?

10 hours ago, jonpais said:

I wasn't aware that there were eternal discussions about the JPEGs, since I'm primarily a video shooter. Sorry about that. Anyhow, he always shoots JPEG and RAW and just uses the JPEGs as a reference point, AFIK. Also, I notice he shoots without altering the highlight and shadow curves; if he'd lowered highlights and shadows a bit, the results would have been a tad closer.

I'm mostly a stills shooter and find that the JPG's often have a nuanced colour that I find hard to replicate and/or improve upon when processing raws (in Lightroom or Capture One). It makes me happy because it means I can sometimes save myself time (if its just family/friend photos) by not having to edit photos. Whereas with my previous cameras I'd almost always have to spend time processing. Same goes for the video. 

1 hour ago, bfilm said:

-I haven't had the chance to try it yet but whats the consensus on Classic Chrome vs pro neg std? - Slightly less DR? and more contrast/saturation?

-When I manual focus, if I change aperture on the lens it shifts focus.  any ideas? 

- The colours of those two profiles are quite different. But yes pro neg standard has slightly more DR than chrome. If you turn shadows and highlights right down you will get most of the DR of the sensor. But I don't recommend it if shooting skin because it makes it look waxy and can't be reversed. Provia also gives a different look; warmer tones than the other two (sometimes too orange I find).

- Never experienced this sorry

- No but you can set the button to toggle rather than have to hold the button down.

I have to say (having owned it for a few months now) that while the camera produces great images, I am not in love with the ergonomics. A modern DSLR layout (with a top LCD display) would make this camera so much nicer to use IMO. There are also a few other issues which really bother me, such as the purple flaring and visible sensor grid pattern when shooting into the sun. I may end up selling within the year..

18 hours ago, Inazuma said:

I'm mostly a stills shooter and find that the JPG's often have a nuanced colour that I find hard to replicate and/or improve upon when processing raws (in Lightroom or Capture One). It makes me happy because it means I can sometimes save myself time (if its just family/friend photos) by not having to edit photos. Whereas with my previous cameras I'd almost always have to spend time processing. Same goes for the video. 

- The colours of those two profiles are quite different. But yes pro neg standard has slightly more DR than chrome. If you turn shadows and highlights right down you will get most of the DR of the sensor. But I don't recommend it if shooting skin because it makes it look waxy and can't be reversed. Provia also gives a different look; warmer tones than the other two (sometimes too orange I find).

- Never experienced this sorry

- No but you can set the button to toggle rather than have to hold the button down.

I have to say (having owned it for a few months now) that while the camera produces great images, I am not in love with the ergonomics. A modern DSLR layout (with a top LCD display) would make this camera so much nicer to use IMO. There are also a few other issues which really bother me, such as the purple flaring and visible sensor grid pattern when shooting into the sun. I may end up selling within the year..

Hi Sebastian, I've never owned a camera with a top LCD display, I'm sure it would be fun to have on any one of my cameras, but aside from when you're shooting on a tripod, how is it so functional? I mean, you'd still have to take your eye away from the EVF to use it, wouldn't you? Also, I've only used the camera for a couple months, and I've never encountered purple flaring, but I've read several places online, including MirrorLessons, that the problem can be avoided by simply moving the camera a touch when you're composing. But the camera does suffer from a ton of issues, some of which I've gone into here

19 hours ago, bfilm said:

These samples are not so much color graded as they are color corrected. There's a difference.

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Hi Sebastian, I've never owned a camera with a top LCD display, I'm sure it would be fun to have on any one of my cameras, but aside from when you're shooting on a tripod, how is it so functional? I mean, you'd still have to take your eye away from the EVF to use it, wouldn't you? Also, I've only used the camera for a couple months, and I've never encountered purple flaring, but I've read several places online, including MirrorLessons, that the problem can be avoided by simply moving the camera a touch when you're composing. But the camera does suffer from a ton of issues, some of which I've gone into here

Hi Jon. I know in theory the top LCD plate doesn't sound that useful but since the camera is usually strapped and hanging around your chest, its useful to be able to see your settings from that level before lifting the camera up to your eye.  Also since the LCD lights up you can see your settings in the dark. The purple flaring and sensor grid pattern happens more at higher apertures (f5.6 and above). Recomposing is an option but not when you actually intentionally want to capture flares, which I often do :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Just managed to bring myself to the point of considering to let go of my NX1, a lens and X100s to buy a used X-T2 because I still have the 23mm f/1.4 and I really like Fuji.

Then for once I had an itch and decided to first check if the SmallHD field monitors work with the X-T2. Alas, just like the NX1 the X-T2 is also not supported by the SmallHD 500 & 700 series. I really wonder what magic sauce SmallHD uses that they struggle with a bunch of hybrid camers, seems like VideoDevices and Atomos don't have these problems.