The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
46 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Interesting tests! Looks like Fuji wins for high iso and AF. EM1 II for DR and sharpness. For me though, Fuji def takes the lead for its overall rendering (at least in those scenes - except for the portrait which I think they should have used a different profile and WB).

I wish I could watch the video, but I'm stuck at the coffee shop with my crappy iPod, about to go out and shoot with the X-T2. Concerning the display issue, Lee over at Zed ProMedia said yeah, the Fuji has a bunch of quirks, which is why he's sticking with Sony for video. Which I thought was ironic in a way. Anyhow, the X-T2 has inspired me to shoot stills again for the first time in five years.

5 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Interesting tests! Looks like Fuji wins for high iso and AF. EM1 II for DR and sharpness. For me though, Fuji def takes the lead for its overall rendering (at least in those scenes - except for the portrait which I think they should have used a different profile and WB).

High ISO and AF, Fuji definately wins. Some mentioned that the Oly is sharper, the problem must be me then, when I watch the cows scene I see more detail in the X-T2 shots. And lastly DR, it's not enough to just shoot -2 shadows/highlights in pro neg std, you have to push the shadows, there's a lot of information there with less noise than what you see with the Oly at maximum DR settings. And I'm sure with F-Log the Fuji would win in DR too.

Interesting choice of music Jon :joy: Good showcase of the skin tones though.  Having used mostly Panasonics for the past two three years i am constantly surprised at how much better the fuji renders skin. The only thing im unsure of is how well its able to render it in high DR scenes where youre trying not to clip the highlights by underexposing and lowering the contrast (in camera and/or in post). Its much sunnier where you live so i was wondering if you could test this out for me?

30 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Interesting choice of music Jon :joy: Good showcase of the skin tones though.  Having used mostly Panasonics for the past two three years i am constantly surprised at how much better the fuji renders skin. The only thing im unsure of is how well its able to render it in high DR scenes where youre trying not to clip the highlights by underexposing and lowering the contrast (in camera and/or in post). Its much sunnier where you live so i was wondering if you could test this out for me?

Haha. They play that music all the time around Vietnamese New Year. That's why, every day here now, you can see women dressed up in ao dai. Because practically all I shoot is people, day in and day out, Panasonic doesn't really cut it for me, but I keep buying their cameras. :) I have no experience with this, but over at Adventure Photo, Stephen Richert says that at high ISOs, Fuji cameras all render waxy skin tones in jpeg, but I wouldn't know, since I don't shoot stills and seldom shoot at high ISOs. The solution given by one of his readers is to underexpose and bring up the shadows in post. Anyhow, back to your question, yes it is hot as hell and sunny here every day, but I never, ever shoot in direct sunlight. I always shoot in the shade. I don't think a single one of the clips I've shot in five years has important detail beyond five stops of dynamic range (if that is how dynamic range is even measured). I think I read somewhere the X-T2 has some 12 stops of dynamic range, though. If I were shooting professionally, I would absolutely carry around a reflector to put some light back in the shadows to avoid overexposure. But I don't make any money, I just spend it. :) 

I shoot mostly stills. Havent noticed any waxy skin issues. Maybe because i shoot at -4 noise reduction always?

Yeh with Flog it has about 12 stops according to cinema5d which puts it on par with the a7s ii slog3 and one stop under the c300 ii. Im hoping they add a less extreme version of Flog to the internal recorder

6 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

I shoot mostly stills. Havent noticed any waxy skin issues. Maybe because i shoot at -4 noise reduction always?

Yeh with Flog it has about 12 stops according to cinema5d which puts it on par with the a7s ii slog3 and one stop under the c300 ii. Im hoping they add a less extreme version of Flog to the internal recorder

What do you mean by less extreme? F-LOG is pretty usable the way it is, I just tried to grade two shots provided by Oliver Nimz, his footage was posted here earlier. My grade is intentionally very close to his:

There is a little banding in the sky, otherwise I think it's fine even though it's 8bit. There is some green tint in F-LOG, but nothing you can't fix in post.

9 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

I suck at grading, which is why I'm so reluctant to even try shooting CineLike with the G85. I think photographic film for making prints only has around 13 stops of dynamic range, doesn't it?

5 minutes ago, Taranis said:

What do you mean by less extreme? F-LOG is pretty usable the way it is, I just tried to grade two shots provided by Oliver Nimz, his footage was posted here earlier. My grade is intentionally very close to his:

There is a little banding in the sky, otherwise I think it's fine even though it's 8bit. There is some green tint in F-LOG, but nothing you can't fix in post.

Nice work, Taranis! How much dynamic range does the X-T2 have without Flog, anyhow?

17 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I suck at grading, which is why I'm so reluctant to even try shooting CineLike with the G85. I think photographic film for making prints only has around 13 stops of dynamic range, doesn't it?

Nice work, Taranis! How much dynamic range does the X-T2 have without Flog, anyhow?

Thanks. Hard to say, with Pro Neg STD -2 shadows/highlights I could get about the same DR as with the D5200 using Flaat11, there was maybe a little less color information in the darkest areas. I'd say between 10-11 stops without F-Log, but that's only my unscientific guess :)

So, a stupid question. I've never owned a battery grip until now. I think the Panasonic manual for the GH4 warned not to keep charging the batteries when they were nowhere near discharged, as it would shorten battery life. I think I also read in the G85 manual that if you're not going to use the battery for a while, you should discharge it completely for storage. I heard someone else say you should never let Lithium Ion batteries completely discharge or you'll shorten their life. So, when one battery in your VPB runs out, what do you do? Do you just plug it in and charge? Remove it and charge it individually?

3 hours ago, Taranis said:

I just meant for internal recording because obviously the bitrate is limited. Ideally the internal flog would have slighty more contrast and more saturation. That way theres less chance of chroma noise, banding, etc

14 hours ago, Inazuma said:

@jonpais do you have the xt2 battery grip? If so could you test whether rolling shutter is improved with it?

Hi Sebastian. Here's the test I promised. Sorry, I feel really awkward just whipping the camera around, I'm not used to doing that. I guess I even frightened a couple of people on the street. I have no idea whether these results will be useful or not. I just glanced at them briefly and don't see any difference. Of course, it's not scientific, because I can't be moving at the same speed each time. 

curious, why would the booster grip enhance RS?

btw, i've decided to keep this cam.. despite it's quirks & shortcomings.. something about the image and it's the smallest cam/lens combo i own. will be taking it with me to India next month as my travel cam. so i'll probably be getting the grip soon.. any ND recommendations ?