The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

1 hour ago, Django said:

you also have the 23mm 1.4? nice. expensive but a lot nicer for sure. can't help but notice in the 23mm f2 test video you linked a lot of shake & jello, which i've also noticed in my test footage at the camera store. lack of IBIS & stabilised lens is really the only thing holding me back at this point (and internal Flog) even though my pro work is always mono/tripod or gimbal assisted.. but these small cams scream handheld and it seems impossible to get decent footage out of them without some kind of stabilisation (hence IBIS upgrade on 6500)

I bought the f1.4 used for about £480 and bought the f2 for £420 new. So the difference isn't too much.

I heard you about the lack of IBIS. I have particuarly shaky hands so its useful for photography for me as well. I've been eyeing up the Panasonic G80 for this reason.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, Inazuma said:

You can underexpose and then bring up the shadows.  See my earlier post http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/20213-the-4k-fuji-x-t2-is-here/?do=findComment&comment=161905

Ah, appreciate the direct link. That is definitely a lot nicer.

After having played with Andrew's EOSHDPro color on my A6300, I'm returning to my NX1 as it's just easier to get great color from it since the AWB is accurate. 

Love everything I'm seeing about the Fuji except there is no constant f/2.8 lens with OIS yet so I'll just keep waiting. It's also a shame that there's no 120fps slo mo or articulating screen.

9 hours ago, jonpais said:

Seriously good review, Sebastian. I hope to see many more from you. Like one other viewer already said, very engaging. 

Thanks, I'm glad it's being received well. I actually had nightmares of waking up to loads of dislikes hah. I'm going to be posting various footage next. I also have direct comparisons between the D5500 and GX80/GX7 as well as the a6300 vs GX80. 

@jasonmillard81 Both cameras are very capable... The a6500 is a bit more expensive but has IBIS and a touchscreen which makes operation easier. The X-T2 has less rolling shutter in 4k and much better 1080p. Pick your poison. 

1 hour ago, jasonmillard81 said:

I'm seeing lots of love for the X-T2 and A6500.  If you were looking for a main stills camera to edit and print with as well as want the ability to record b-roll or video on small excursions how would you determine which best fits?

X-T2 has better lens selection, menus, build quality, and SOOC color, as well as less RS and overheating. It also has a battery grip option that nets you 3 batteries, an AC adapter, and a headphone jack.

A6500 has IBIS, sharper 4K, 120fps 1080p, internal LOG, more powered adapter options, and is smaller/cheaper. Sony also makes an XLR adapter for the hotshoe so you can get professional quality audio inputs on board.

Both have terrific high ISO performance, killer DR, great overall IQ, adaptable lens mounts, and big EVFs. Pick what matters to you.

I'm a low budget event shooter so I shoot lots of stills and video. Shooting with the a6x000's can be a chore with only one top dial, so you have to use the goofy d-pad wheel on the back to adjust two of your exposure parameters since you can assign ISO, SS and Aperture to the one top dial. Fuji has physical controls for all three right on the camera, plus exposure compensation and front/rear control wheels that are clickable for more functionality. You can adjust everything while looking through the bigger/sharper/brighter EVF - which is how I shoot almost all of my stills. The grip adds extra battery capacity and slightly improved camera performance, along with some killer ergonomics. The joystick makes moving the AF point a breeze.

They both have great IQ in 4k, HD is better on the XT2. But the shooting experience is worlds apart. I just sold my a7rII and a6300 - was considering getting twin a6500's, but since Sony ignored overheating (manual override of the shutdown is not a fix), ignored awful rolling shutter, hasn't released a new APS-c lens in a few years, didn't add UHS-II support or fix any of the other issues the a6300 had outside of adding IBIS and a half baked touchscreen, I decided screw it - I'm not giving Sony any more of my cash. I now own two XT2's and a slew of Fuji lenses.

A6xxx ergonomics are terrible and the rolling shutter makes it virtually unusable for my type of shooting..

One other thing to consider however for video is that A6500 has super35 (1.5x) mode in 24p/25p 4K whereas XT2 has that odd 1.7x crop factor in 4K which can be a bummer for prime shooters and of course lack of internal Log.

Fuji's done an amazing leap but still has a few tweaks to perform to be serious contender in the video field imo. Right now it's more of a great SOOC unit (which is what a lot of still shooters like about Fuji in the first place)

15 hours ago, Django said:

Tne other thing to consider however for video is that A6500 has super35 (1.5x) mode in 24p/25p 4K whereas XT2 has that odd 1.7x crop factor in 4K which can be a bummer for prime shooters...

Not really. If you're using native lenses, it's only an extra 1.17x crop. Instead of a 35mm, your 23mm turns into a 40. Oh no, what a tragedy. :tounge_wink: If you're using adapted lenses, a simple speed booster takes your crop factor to a badass 1.25x. Either way, it's nothing I'd cry over.

Personally, outside of interviews, I prefer to shoot 30p and slow it down to 24p. In that case there's less of a crop with Fuji vs the a6x000's 4k. Plus with Fuji you have the 14, 16, 18, 23, & 27mm primes, and the 10-24 to cover most wide FL's (17.5mm on the wide end), along with 3rd party 12's and others. As mentioned, if adapted, you can go speed booster.

I agree with Django, its a great SOOC cam. If you're doing something with a quick turnaround, its a great option. For things like weddings, people love the look. You can get Canon-like colors with ProNeg and nice Fuji colors with Classic Chrome and others. Love the image out of the XT2.

@Trek of Joy Have you shot with the Lumix GH4? If so, any thoughts in comparison to the Fuji (esp. image quality, not features or build quality)? Also, do you have any experience with either the Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8 or Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN? Those are two lenses I'm considering getting if I end up buying the XT2. Although many are complaining about the lack of touch screen and articulating LCD (myself included!), I'm finding myself using manual focus more and more, and with camera either on a tripod or a gimbal, I find I'm not using either of those features as much on my Panasonic, though certainly if I start vlogging, it means I'll have to pick up a monitor at some point. BTW, Max Yuryev is at work on his full-length review right now, should be up very soon.

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

@Trek of Joy Have you shot with the Lumix GH4? If so, any thoughts in comparison to the Fuji (esp. image quality, not features or build quality)? Also, do you have any experience with either the Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8 or Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN? Those are two lenses I'm considering getting if I end up buying the XT2. Although many are complaining about the lack of touch screen and articulating LCD (myself included!), I'm finding myself using manual focus more and more, and with camera either on a tripod or a gimbal, I find I'm not using either of those features as much on my Panasonic, though certainly if I start vlogging, it means I'll have to pick up a monitor at some point. BTW, Max Yuryev is at work on his full-length review right now, should be up very soon.

Had a GH4 a couple years ago, shot a commercial for a company I was working for in 4k and produced a nice 1080p file. The stills just didn't do it for me, too much noise kicking in at just 1600. This was also before some of the faster lenses and the Blog update we now have, which would have helped keep ISO's down. Banding hasn't been an issue for me yet, it seemed to rear its ugly head with the GH4 on occasion, but I've only been shooting Fuji for a short time. Can't comment on anything else.

I shifted my Sony kit pretty quickly and I'm now running twin XT2's with the 10-24/4, 16-55/2.8, 50-140/2.8, 18-55, 23/1.4, 56/1.2 and 55-200. The 16-55 is nearly perfect for me, just lacks OIS, but its really sharp and AF is crazy good with the linear focus motors. Canon's 24-70/2.8 isn't stabilized and I shot with it for years, its a great standard zoom and a lens I wish Sony would have produced instead of that crappy 16-70. I have no problem running a gimbal, so the "but the a6500 has IBIS" noise doesn't meant anything to me. The 10-24 and 18-55 have really good OIS, combined with better rolling shutter, handheld stuff looks good to me. The 50-140 has the best stabilization I've ever seen in a lens, its really good.

I haven't used the Sig 30, its a no-mans-land FL for me, but it looks really nice and I'm a big fan of the Sigma look. I may rent one at some point, but I'm getting ready to take a year to travel around the world so no more new lenses until I return at the end of next year. For primes I prefer (in FF terms) 24, 35, 85, 135. Many like 50mm-ish lenses, I've never been able to make them work. I always like to go a little wider or get in closer. The 16/1.4 is at the top of my wish list at the moment.

If you're getting the XT2, might as well get the 18-55 kit, its well worth $300, and you can always sell it down the road without losing anything. Its quite a bit smaller than the 16-55 and makes a great knock around lens.

@Trek of Joy Thanks for the reply. I think I was mistaken about the Sigma. They don't make an X mount lens yet I guess. I might go to the store and see if I can handle the camera tomorrow afternoon before deciding. I'm pretty heavily invested in micro four thirds right now, with the GH4, GM1 and a dozen or so lenses, and I'm sure the GH5 will be killer, but - I'm pretty certain it won't have the amazing color I've seen in just about every video posted here and elsewhere shot with the XT2. 

Yeah, I'd love that too. The APS-C sensor performance, the colors... but I'm not too keen on giving up sensor stabilization and perhaps a vari-angle (frontfacing) touchscreen. The mount indeed doesn't seem as flexible and supported as the M43 and Sony E ones. Just a couple of things that take it from a no-brainer to a no-bueno for me personally. But people are doing some wicked things with it, so that's always good to see.

I bought the Panasonic GH1 when it first came out to resurrect some C-mount lenses I had. Having got the X-T2 in mind for a possible future purchase, I was wondering if the 4K crop would make it practical for C-mount lenses? I'm thinking, if I cropped the 16:9 frame yet again (top and bottom) for 2.39:1, maybe you could get away with just slight vignetting? Anyone tried C-mount lenses on it? Would be great to bring those old lenses back into use again (I have a Schnieder 10mm and Angenieux 15mm).