The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

Walter, you're right.

I have a GH4, and despise the ISO performance and colors.  I was looking for a stills camera that I can print fairly large photos, do timelapses, get great night shots without a flash etc.  I was suggested to look at the 80D as a companion to the c100 II due to the interchangeable lenses and decent b-cam for video.

But the X-T2 seems like it could potentionally be a better b-cam and stills camera...just not sure of the ISO performance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 hours ago, jasonmillard81 said:

Walter, you're right.

I have a GH4, and despise the ISO performance and colors.  I was looking for a stills camera that I can print fairly large photos, do timelapses, get great night shots without a flash etc.  I was suggested to look at the 80D as a companion to the c100 II due to the interchangeable lenses and decent b-cam for video.

But the X-T2 seems like it could potentionally be a better b-cam and stills camera...just not sure of the ISO performance.

Totally reasonable to consider BUT this is a thread about the XT-2, not what best compliments the C100mkII as a b-cam. *wink face*

I brought that is as another comparison for the XT-2 base upon how I work and what I hope to do with the camera that I couldn't with the XT-1. In fact, I was agonizing over wanting to stick with Fuji for stills but needing a b-cam. I was considering switching back to Sony for stills and a second camera for video. I was considering a D750 too.

I posted this bit with the C100 since the XT-2 can now viably, it seems, play that role and I'm pretty pleased about it.

I do think the XT-2 is clunky for video in the way that all these cameras with this form factor are. It reinforced for me my move to a proper video camera for video. I'm glad tho that Fuji now provides rather than precludes.

(p.s. sidenote: I also couldn't get right with the GH4 in part for colors but mostly due to DR and the roll-off to the highlights was just too harsh for me.)

4 hours ago, jasonmillard81 said:

I cannot get over how insane this image is from this video...is this an easily achievable look or is this heavy grading?

I

From the video, it seemed like it was all done in camera. I think the concept is that the different "film stocks" work like jpegs would for stills. Not a whole lot of latitude for post work, but they look good in camera... Like having film convert minus the grain built into the XT-2... But I am no expert with Fuji cameras. 

sorry this sounds like hijacking the topic, how do you guys find olympus (OMD range) color science comparing to fuji?

from reading on the net, fuji seems like the gold standard, i'm just wondering if olympus can keep up? thanks.

(dont worry about DR, or iso performace, just judging purely from color point of view).

OK, thanks.

Google tells me that there is a Fuji app that you can use for the T2 but the reviews are terrible. Can anyone elaborate if it's doable?  One issue I had with the Samsung NX1 is that the app would override the film settings in camera so it was worthless.  Does the Fuji do the same? 

On 29/10/2016 at 7:47 PM, mercer said:

From the video, it seemed like it was all done in camera. I think the concept is that the different "film stocks" work like jpegs would for stills. Not a whole lot of latitude for post work, but they look good in camera... Like having film convert minus the grain built into the XT-2... But I am no expert with Fuji cameras. 

Best in-camera colours I have seen in any consumer camera.

3 hours ago, SuperSet said:

OK, thanks.

Google tells me that there is a Fuji app that you can use for the T2 but the reviews are terrible. Can anyone elaborate if it's doable?  One issue I had with the Samsung NX1 is that the app would override the film settings in camera so it was worthless.  Does the Fuji do the same? 

This review gives a pretty good rundown of the remote app. Looks like it's much better in stills mode, but you can control AF and exposure then hit record. 

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Fujifilm_XT2/

13 hours ago, SuperSet said:

Since this model doesn't have an articulating display, which gives me great pause since it's such a useful feature, does the Fuji have an app that can be used for remote viewing?

When I used the app to record video I found it very usefull until I figured out that I was recording in 720p. I don't know if I missed a setting in the app or camera menu, but I stopped using it.

5 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Damn, look at those colors! <3

The one thing I'd like to see is externally recorded F-Log compared to the other color profiles for DR. The shadows in the internal profiles seem to block up really fast.

I don't know what kind of tools they have, but if you have an Atomos Shogun, you probably have a tool to apply LUTs, too. They could have added F-Log and applied the LUT which Fujifilm provides. Does somebody know a video, where they compare this at least with Provia or Pro Neg Std?

For landscapes I like to use Velvia, too. This is an example, not to stick with just one film simulation.

On 11/5/2016 at 11:02 PM, Trek of Joy said:

A nice collection of SOOC 4k shots using various lenses. Fuji's IS and continuous AF is pretty effective. Color and detail are fantastic. 

I've yet to see a single video I haven't liked with this camera - is it that more talented people are buying the XT-2 or what? :) 

I do not see many video professionals going full time Fuji, as of now. Maybe in the next couple of years or so.

Enthusiasts, die hard Fuji funs, and upper-middle class purists and hipsters. There are a lot more specialized users, than let's say, people buying the 700$ Panasonics, or a6xxxx.

The Fuji system is not cheap, it is a notch and a bit more than Sony APS-C, and a lot more than NX and m4/3 (thought, now with the new GH5 and Olympus,  and the 1.2-1.4f lenses the price difference us mininal, or in favor of Fuji), while this is the first truly good camera for people doing 60/40% video, or more. 

The picture profiles, are existed in every image capturing device too, I like Fuji's as well, but it is not so groundbreaking as people suggest. With slight tweeks at post one can achieve similar results, and can use a picture profile, and then add a little bit of something (real super35 film grain?) or even luts.

They still need a few things, but they are going there. I closely follow them and I am excited about every new product, as they seem to be the best listeners in the industry (them, and Panasonic!).