The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Viet Bach Bui said:

Why is it that the Fuji is doing better at close focusing distance while the Sony is faster to acquire focus at longer distance?

Btw, the skin tone on the Fuji lacks tonality, is it because a film emulation profile is used?

If they used ASTIA, which they had used in the previous video. This is a film simulation for outdoor portraits. It softens skin tones.

He should look much younger now. ;-)

13 hours ago, Viet Bach Bui said:

Why is it that the Fuji is doing better at close focusing distance while the Sony is faster to acquire focus at longer distance?

Btw, the skin tone on the Fuji lacks tonality, is it because a film emulation profile is used?

That's explained in the comments section. I never understood the answer, but you might be able to.

14 hours ago, Viet Bach Bui said:

Those are really just differences in the autofocus settings.

Both cameras have settings for the sensitivity of the c-af. That is, how fast it notices there is a new subject that should be in focus. And both are capable of almost instant recognition.  However only the Sony has a setting for how long the focus transition takes. That's why you'll see the Fuji does instantaneous pulls while the Sony does gradual ones. 

New to the forum, considering the XT2 or possibly waiting for the a6500 or the EM1mkII - I travel a lot and shoot everything handheld, so stabilization of some form is a must to keep the shakes to a minimum.

Does anyone have links to footage with the 18-55 or 10-24 to see what a difference the lens stabilization makes?

In this review of the BM URSA Mini, cinema5D compares the image quality with the Fujifilm XT-2 and Sony's FS7. Is the Fujifilm X-T2 the new benchmark? Of course, one can speculate about the reasons for this pick, but in the end they came to the conclusion, that it is an interesting comparison.

https://***URL not allowed***/blackmagic-ursa-mini-4k-vs-4-6k/

Although, I think that a BM URSA Mini would be a next step for me, when my skills are improved, I kind of feel already close with my current system.

On 10/9/2016 at 5:31 AM, Lothar said:

I wonder, is AF really a high prioritized feature as he stated in the video? I know, you could use it for gimbal work, but other than that, I thought it's more a feature for soccer moms. I think even with DP-AF it's not always focusing in the speed you want and it still can't read your mind. The longer the take, the higher the probability, that AF will ruin it. Isn't stopping down the lens still the preferred way to capture moving objects? Because I am still skeptical regarding AF for video it wasn't a feature I was looking at, in the first place. That said, for stills it was an important feature and I am completely satisfied with its performance.

Shooting with fly-by-wire lenses, AF really helps IMO. Its especially handy setting initial focus and tracking if the AF is capable of keeping up. 

I spoke with Billy at the Fuji booth at PhotoPlus (NYC) on Friday - compliments and feedback on the XT-2. He asked how the XT-2 has changed my work and obviously I talked with him about video and that the camera was "almost" to the point that for certain events, I could use it exclusively for photo/video vs. always bringing my C100 mk. II and using the XT-1 for stills.

I emphasized the shortfalls for me was the lack of exposure tools in video to which he was very acknowledging - "That's a priority for me too." I also mentioned the desire for internal FLog - "We are hearing that from everyone..." He will be in Tokyo next month and said he would be bringing two months of feedback with him. His tone was appreciative and optimistic. It was clear to me that they don't feel at all complete with camera's video as it currently stands.

Here is my first attempt to intercut the XT-2 with my C100mkII. I had hoped to have the XT-2 as a companion in this way and I'm pretty happy about it already.

Camera settings in the video and more info in the description. Short report is that I used Wide DR and ProNegStd dialed down. I shot the XT-2 in 4K.

pswd: twocam

IMG_4370.JPG

18 minutes ago, Walter H said:

Here is my first attempt to intercut the XT-2 with my C100mkII. I had hoped to have the XT-2 as a companion in this way and I'm pretty happy about it already.

Camera settings in the video and more info in the description. Short report is that I used Wide DR and ProNegStd dialed down. I shot the XT-2 in 4K.

pswd: twocam

IMG_4370.JPG

Nice. Looks quite natural. Regarding the focus hunting on the Fuji, I heard that when Face Detection is On that the camera stops using Phase detection and resorts to contrast detection, which might be the reason it keeps hunting like that? Could you test this out?

8 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Nice. Looks quite natural. Regarding the focus hunting on the Fuji, I heard that when Face Detection is On that the camera stops using Phase detection and resorts to contrast detection, which might be the reason it keeps hunting like that? Could you test this out?

Face/Eye AF was OFF in photo mode. As far as I can tell, I don't have the option of enabling it for video even if I wanted. Fn button is unresponsive and option is greyed out in the menu during video mode.

2 minutes ago, Walter H said:

Face/Eye AF was OFF in photo mode. As far as I can tell, I don't have the option of enabling it for video even if I wanted. Fn button is unresponsive and option is greyed out in the menu during video mode.

I little bit of topic, but how do you like the new Color Finale Pro? Did you match the shots with ColorChecker? Thanks, for the video. Looks really good.

54 minutes ago, Lothar said:

I little bit of topic, but how do you like the new Color Finale Pro? Did you match the shots with ColorChecker? Thanks, for the video. Looks really good.

If if weren't for Color Finale and Neat Video, I don't think I would be using FCPX. CF was very good and I'm still getting on top of the new features of CF Pro which is much improved - a lot of streamlining to repeat corrections and looks, great integration of LUTS, etc. I really like it - love the curves and and the wheels are a breeze, etc. (Now if only there was a proper sharpening plugin for FCPX...)

I didn't use a ColorChecker. I recently purchased a Passport version but am not accustomed to it in my workflow - need to start!

"Back to topic," after I set exposure and white balance on both cameras, I merely looked at the two screens (man - amazing how much better the C100mkII screen is vs mkI) and then went into the XT-2's custom WB to take out a bit of green that I saw on the XT-2's screen compared to the C100. Once in Final Cut, I made no further color adjustments to either camera other than take an almost equal amount of red out of the mids. I made separate exposure adjustments but otherwise, no color adjustments to get the XT-2 and C100mkII "talking" to each other. I'm pleased it was that easy.

One thing I noticed tho is that the C100 seemed to have more information to push around in the file. If I needed to be more aggressive, the C100's image seemed more robust. Particularly with the black levels as the XT-2 wanted to crush blacks with less adjustment.

I'm a CLog person mostly and I soooo want to work with FLog to compare. No desire to dump another $850-$1200 on a 4K recorder, however.

11 hours ago, Walter H said:

If if weren't for Color Finale and Neat Video, I don't think I would be using FCPX. CF was very good and I'm still getting on top of the new features of CF Pro which is much improved - a lot of streamlining to repeat corrections and looks, great integration of LUTS, etc. I really like it - love the curves and and the wheels are a breeze, etc. (Now if only there was a proper sharpening plugin for FCPX...)

I didn't use a ColorChecker. I recently purchased a Passport version but am not accustomed to it in my workflow - need to start!

"Back to topic," after I set exposure and white balance on both cameras, I merely looked at the two screens (man - amazing how much better the C100mkII screen is vs mkI) and then went into the XT-2's custom WB to take out a bit of green that I saw on the XT-2's screen compared to the C100. Once in Final Cut, I made no further color adjustments to either camera other than take an almost equal amount of red out of the mids. I made separate exposure adjustments but otherwise, no color adjustments to get the XT-2 and C100mkII "talking" to each other. I'm pleased it was that easy.

One thing I noticed tho is that the C100 seemed to have more information to push around in the file. If I needed to be more aggressive, the C100's image seemed more robust. Particularly with the black levels as the XT-2 wanted to crush blacks with less adjustment.

I'm a CLog person mostly and I soooo want to work with FLog to compare. No desire to dump another $850-$1200 on a 4K recorder, however.

You're talking about CLog with 4.2.0 sampling? If you are satisfied with this combination, I can have high hopes, that internal F-Log is usable. I know that some people don't use SLOG on Sonys when recording internally, because of the compression. Now, that FW 1.10 is around the corner, let's see if we can try it soon. Besides the costs, an external recorder makes the system bulky. So, I really hope that internal F-Log will be usable (besides available).

2 hours ago, Lothar said:

You're talking about CLog with 4.2.0 sampling? If you are satisfied with this combination, I can have high hopes, that internal F-Log is usable. I know that some people don't use SLOG on Sonys when recording internally, because of the compression. Now, that FW 1.10 is around the corner, let's see if we can try it soon. Besides the costs, an external recorder makes the system bulky. So, I really hope that internal F-Log will be usable (besides available).

Yes, we'll see. The C100's isn't your average 4.2.0. I was one of those "purchase a Ninja Star" people until I realized that it's improvement over the Canon's internal AVCHD was negligible. I don't do extreme image manipulation, green screen and I've never had a concern with CLog and the internal codec.

As I mentioned, Canon's Wide DR profile had more flexibility than the XT-2 profile (blacks crushing more easily) but the XT-2 is quite good - perhaps very good. We'll see how this translates to internal FLog. I agree - the bulk is a greater turn off than the $. Not how I want to use the camera.