The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

27 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Not quite right. I didn't use the same shutter speed and aperture values between the cameras because I let the Fuji them decide for itself. It just so happens that the Fuji seemed to expose much more brightly than the Nikon, so I in turn had to use manual exposure values on the Nikon that read +1 2/3 stops on its meter.  

The 1.43 firmware was an update for the preproduction model and as far I'm aware that firmware is 1.0 in the release model :)

interesting. thanks. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Walter H said:

@Inazuma Interesting tests, thanks. Notable that you had to raise the exposure of the Nikon 1 2/3 stops to match exposure at each ISO value, is that right? 

On another note, my XT-2 is still firmware 1.0 and beta testers were using up to 1.42, which we don't have access to on the Fuji support website. I imagine they are waiting for a complete 2.0 firmware before releasing an update to us? 

beta firmware 1.42 is equal to production firmware 1.00. The numbering just changed, but all the production X-T2 came with the latest firmware.

3 minutes ago, Lothar said:

beta firmware 1.42 is equal to production firmware 1.00. The numbering just changed, but all the production X-T2 came with the latest firmware.

Oops. We are already on page 18 and it was already answered.

35 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Oops. We are already on page 18 and it was already answered.

Firmware 1.01 should be the update for internal F-log then. :-)

We know it. 4k is a catch 22. On the one hand we love the cinematic look which tries to remove detail which would pull us out of the fairy tail into reality. On the other hand we love detail. Up to now, I don't really need 4k and I sample down to HD. For pixel peepers I provide a 4k still, which has been grabbed from Resolve. But I can tell you, the downsampled HD does almost have the same amount of detail.

The following still is out of 4k footage where I just pulled the highlights a bit and applied my FilmConvert lut. No other correction was made (not even WB). The camera settings are the same as the once I posted already. If you ignore the dandruff you can see the detailed texture of the shirt.

4k Test_1.1.2.jpg

• Administrators
On 19 September 2016 at 9:45 PM, Inazuma said:

Samuel from DVXUser has measured the rolling shutter using the videos i sent him. 

Higher than I thought. I guess my time with the a6300 made me more tolerant 

29ms, I don't believe that.

Looks more like 15-20ms as it is noticeably better than the NX1 skew in my tests.

7 hours ago, Lothar said:

We know it. 4k is a catch 22. On the one hand we love the cinematic look which tries to remove detail which would pull us out of the fairy tail into reality. On the other hand we love detail. Up to now, I don't really need 4k and I sample down to HD. For pixel peepers I provide a 4k still, which has been grabbed from Resolve. But I can tell you, the downsampled HD does almost have the same amount of detail.

The following still is out of 4k footage where I just pulled the highlights a bit and applied my FilmConvert lut. No other correction was made (not even WB). The camera settings are the same as the once I posted already. If you ignore the dandruff you can see the detailed texture of the shirt.

4k Test_1.1.2.jpg

Look's good. Do you have any files that you could share?

1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

Look's good. Do you have any files that you could share?

What kind of files were you interested in? SOOC footage? Master files (would be ProRes)?

I'm not sure how to share them either, since this is all new to me. I just started sharing some stuff, because I saw just bad footage of the X-T2 on the internet. If you give me some hint, I'll see what I can do.

Regarding this particular take, I would more or less cut it, because my intention was to do some bright sunlight test, but then the clouds came and I got angry and messed it all up.

9 minutes ago, Lothar said:

What kind of files were you interested in? SOOC footage? Master files (would be ProRes)?

I'm not sure how to share them either, since this is all new to me. I just started sharing some stuff, because I saw just bad footage of the X-T2 on the internet. If you give me some hint, I'll see what I can do.

Regarding this particular take, I would more or less cut it, because my intention was to do some bright sunlight test, but then the clouds came and I got angry and messed it all up.

Yeah a ProRes file would be awesome, or even just a high quality JPEG of an F-Log shot.

7 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Yeah a ProRes file would be awesome, or even just a high quality JPEG of an F-Log shot.

Well, unfortunately I can't give you F-Log, because I don't have an external recorder (yet). What I can upload now here into my post is an ungraded JPEG (Pro Neg Std, Highlight and Shadow -2, Color and Sharpness -4)

SOOC_1.1.1.jpg

24 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Has anyone tested  for moire,aliasing and macroblocking ? Is it worth abandoning the NX1 for ? 

You can see moire and aliasing in cameralabs videos https://vimeo.com/user803551 

I can test macroblocking for you if you want. Just let me know the best way to test for it. I only have the camera for one more night though.

22 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Well, unfortunately I can't give you F-Log, because I don't have an external recorder (yet). What I can upload now here into my post is an ungraded JPEG (Pro Neg Std, Highlight and Shadow -2, Color and Sharpness -4)

SOOC_1.1.1.jpg

Thanks. I didn't realize that F Log was external only. Fuji's film profiles are so good though, I doubt I would use anything other.

1 minute ago, AaronChicago said:

Thanks. I didn't realize that F Log was external only. Fuji's film profiles are so good though, I doubt I would use anything other.

They are currently looking into it. Maybe they offer it for internal recording, too. I own the X-E2 now more the two and a half years and due to firmware upgrades it's almost a completely different camera now. So, chances are good that they'll offer F-Log for internal recording. But you are right. I am so happy with the results, so far, that I don't care so much about it.

Also frustrating to note that FLog is apparently only available as 4K output, not available in 1080p HDMI out. That's what the menu told me but outputting to my Ninja Star just now confirmed it. Wish it weren't restricted to 4K only. Firmware, Fuji?

Nice to note that the 422 HQ 1080p wasn't a marked improvement over the internal recording using @Lothar's settings. I will do a few more comparisons of 1080p internal/external this afternoon. Wouldn't claim it yet but could be another Canon C100 scenario in which the ext recorder is redundant unless needing Fuji's flat profile.  

2 hours ago, Inazuma said:

You can see moire and aliasing in cameralabs videos https://vimeo.com/user803551 

I can test macroblocking for you if you want. Just let me know the best way to test for it. I only have the camera for one more night though.

If you can underexpose a scene by a stop or two and raise the exposure in post thats a great way to tell. Fast motion or shooting running water from a fountain helps expose macroblocking too. Anything with fast unpredicatble movement like the "flakes" inside of a shaken snow globe