The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Digitgio said:

Yes I know, is more than tricky,but I recorded either in 4K and 1080p and after played the clips and put it on still in the middle of a fast pan and the vertical line on 4K was unfortunately diagonal... So seems no news on rolling, but I think for the price it will be a good camera...

Yeah rolling shutter is one or those things we have to live with now. Before 4K the RS was better but Moire worse :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@The Chris image looks beautiful even at 1080 ! Is it just me or does the motion cadence look terrible 

It looks like he didn't have a ND filter and bumped up the SS to compensate for bright conditions, but I've never been overly critical of motion. Others may have more insight.

5 hours ago, Digitgio said:

Yes I know, is more than tricky,but I recorded either in 4K and 1080p and after played the clips and put it on still in the middle of a fast pan and the vertical line on 4K was unfortunately diagonal... So seems no news on rolling, but I think for the price it will be a good camera...

I've asked a few of the early testers to do a formal RS test and they've all had the same reply - they're waiting for a final video firmware update before posting more comprehensive video tests as Fuji is still tweaking things.

RS doesn't look a6300 bad panning at the long end of the 50-140 with a teleconverter in the screen cap below, but more formal tests are definitely needed. With the grip boosting processor power, it'll be interesting to see if its performance is better than the a6300.

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 9.11.30 AM.png

It seems that they are making an effort to keep artifacts and banding in check.
Here is a saturation map of XT2 compared to a clip buy fuzzynormal from the original files thread of the GX85. I could not fine the same amount of contrast/punch tho, so comparison is a little stretched.
To make a saturation map you shift hue by 180*(0.5 in fusion) with the color corrector node, then combine with difference node to the original. You then desaturate the result to grayscale. I gained it by 2 here to make it more visible.

The XT2 clip appears to be dithered and a bit smoother compared to the GX85 which is showing a bit more blocks. It is not without blocks as something have to go when compressing. But how these artifacts behave and how much effort goes in to handle them determines how much the file can be pushed around before it breaks up. This is also why flat profiles are not always a good thing.
btw saturation map works great as a mask for things.

Saturation_XT2.PNG

Saturation_GX85.PNG

14 minutes ago, John_Harrison said:

You know, given how responsive Fuji is to user feedback, and how the camera software is still being developed... if enough people request F-Log internal recording, they might just give it to us either at launch or in a firmware update. 

The other problem - from a video perspective - is that few Fuji sponsored shooters do anything on the video side. A vast majority of their beta testers are pretty much exclusively still shooters. I think there'd be a good chance of a FW update unlocking Flog internal after people outside the narrow group of beta testers start beating that drum.

The Xt2 is certain to bring more video shooters into the Fuji camp, so there will be a shift in feedback.

On 7/7/2016 at 2:54 PM, Marco Tecno said:

It was not a dead system until few months ago. He speaks as if there has been nothing like xt2 before. There has been for more than 1 year (before being, perhaps, a dead system).

I warned you well before it was officially a dead system.  I balked at the price of the lenses and people argued with me.  Now it is a dead system.  Please don't say you weren't warned.

40 minutes ago, Damphousse said:

I warned you well before it was officially a dead system.  I balked at the price of the lenses and people argued with me.  Now it is a dead system.  Please don't say you weren't warned.

Dead perhaps, but still better than most 'living' cameras and, for sure, better than anything else at its pricepoint.

For anyone who is interested in rolling shutter performance I have done multiple measurements on the panning shots in Gordon Laing’s video and determined that the rolling shutter skew is about 65% which means a readout speed of around 27ms.

Of course its not an exact science because there is no vertical object that goes from the top of the screen to the bottom and there could be acceleration or deceleration from one frame to the next, but all of the results were coming up around this area.

I’m sure Samuel H will eventually come out with an ‘official’ figure after doing the exact same thing and proclaiming a number that is for all intents and purposes the same.
So people are free to wait for that, but for anyone who wants to cut to the chase:

25 to 30 ms is your ballpark figure.

1 hour ago, Marco Tecno said:

Dead perhaps, but still better than most 'living' cameras and, for sure, better than anything else at its pricepoint.

You continue to ignore the fact investing in the lenses is a dead end with a very finite useful life.  If there is no upgrade path for the body the lenses become paperweights.

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 7:29 AM, John_Harrison said:

You know, given how responsive Fuji is to user feedback, and how the camera software is still being developed... if enough people request F-Log internal recording, they might just give it to us either at launch or in a firmware update. 

Though I doubt very seriously that they left it off just for kicks - I'm sure there must be a reason for its exclusion, like the macro blocking that others have suggested.

• Super Members
26 minutes ago, toxotis70 said:

... blacks are crashed again, like xpro 2, i wish Fuji fix this .

Download the Xpro2 files from the original file thread here on EOSHD, put them in your editor, raise the blacks and see what you think.
It changed my mind.

(Imo, The shadows are always crushed on all demo footage from all cameras imo. Never judge a camera by early testers and demo shooters. What for real users.)

I wish they would stop using video levels. That would end confusion like this.
I for one like that they use the whole range instead of throwing away more starved bits. And if ppl blindly clip the footage to video levels, that is user error.

The real question now is how much can you lift blacks in profile to get a tiny bit more leverage.

It just make me like the A7sII/A7Rii, 4k in full frame with unlimited recording and the same body size. That's a good thing about sony, you get a full frame which is the size of an aps-c from Fuji, or an aps-c which is the size of an m43 from olympus. Of course, downsides: price and overheating. However, overheating is solved on the A7x cameras. Hopefully the next generation of a6xxx will solve this problem too.