The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, MattH said:

Damn. Well perhaps if Fuji receive feedback that this will cost them a lot of sales they may make a change to the firmware.  

Yes. The most important thing is, that all the hardware is available. (fast sensor and processor, Mic in, Headphone jack). 

But I agree, seeing F-Log for internal recording would be nice and if Fuji continues it's Firmware policy and listening to customers, I think they could/will add this. However they have to hear that customers want it. Just write to Fuji, they tend to listen 

5 hours ago, Steve M. said:

What isn't mentioned in any post I've read on the X-T2 is whether the image tweaks are enabled for video, they aren't on the Xpro2, which would make a huge difference in off-setting the simulations.

Highlight, Shadow, Sharpness and Color should work for video too, don't know about Noise reduction. 

15 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

Yes. The most important thing is, that all the hardware is available. (fast sensor and processor, Mic in, Headphone jack). 

But I agree, seeing F-Log for internal recording would be nice and if Fuji continues it's Firmware policy and listening to customers, I think they could/will add this. However they have to hear that customers want it. Just write to Fuji, they tend to listen 

Highlight, Shadow, Sharpness and Color should work for video too, don't know about Noise reduction. 

Should work? Well, they don't work in the Xpro2, so it woudn't surprise me if the aren't enabled, as that hasn't been confirmed one way or another that I've heard of.

I think it's a given anyone buying the camera would rather have it record the F-LOG internally as opposed to having that as an HDMI output function only. 

17 minutes ago, Steve M. said:

Should work? Well, they don't work in the Xpro2, so it woudn't surprise me if the aren't enabled, as that hasn't been confirmed one way or another that I've heard of.

"However, If you don’t want to do too much post production then you have the option to use all of Fujifilm’s Film Simulation modes, and unlike previous Fujifilm cameras you can fine tune the colour settings when shooting video." from http://www.thevideomode.com/news/fuji-xt2-video-4k-2938/

Hello,

I`m new to this forum, but a long term reader, because it is the best forum for information about NX1 (which I own).

The Fuji got my interest for its pleasing colours.

I downloaded two original files from http://www.dkamera.de/news/preview-beispielaufnahmen-der-fujifilm-x-t2/

and discovered, that the codec implemantation may not be very good.

It uses a "High L5.1" variation of mp4 at 102 Mbps with no CABAC and no B-frames unlike for example Sony RX100IV etc.

One I-frame followed by 30 P-frames according to mediainfo and avidemux.

Just like smartphones, but at a higher bitrate.

12 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

Here's Gordon Laing-
"I have confirmed that F log will only be on the HDMI output, NOT for in camera recording. A shame since it would be nice to have a flat profile for internal recording even at 4:2:0. Thanks for the tip!"

Well, that is just incredibly stupid. If it raises enough critic they may change their minds. 

3 hours ago, berndimax said:

It uses a "High L5.1" variation of mp4 at 102 Mbps with no CABAC and no B-frames unlike for example Sony RX100IV etc.

Where can I go to teach myself about this?

Finished downloading the file and looking at in FCPX, it looks highly detailed, but whenever there's movement of any kind, blocks start appearing around the detail- looks like crud. Let's hope this isn't representative of Fuji "fixing" issues with aliasing. Let's hope this isn't what the final product will be!

2 hours ago, berndimax said:

Hello,

I`m new to this forum, but a long term reader, because it is the best forum for information about NX1 (which I own).

The Fuji got my interest for its pleasing colours.

I downloaded two original files from http://www.dkamera.de/news/preview-beispielaufnahmen-der-fujifilm-x-t2/

and discovered, that the codec implemantation may not be very good.

Wow! So only 1 frame a second is a real sample?  That's bad!

And just think, your NLE doesn't know or care which 1 frame is the I frame, so when you render out it will mostly chose P frames to use as I frames in the output file.

That would probably account for all the macroblocking and mush we can see in the footage, especially on the foliage and tree trunk in the forest shots.

No wonder they are trying to force videographers to record externally.

So basically, as far as I'm concerned, as well as adding on the cost of the battery grip as an essential we should also add the cost of a 4k recorder as an essential if we don't already have one.

I did check both the video samples for download above with ffdshow internal reporting to .csv file.

And it did report an I frame every 15 frames. 448 P frames and 32 I frames. For the clip with water.

The magic happens when I open the clip in fusion. I expected to see mush with huge blocks at best. But this?
Not sure if fusion is responsible for grain or not but I can't get anywhere near as good of a result by converting it to another format.

fusion_xt2.PNG

It seems that the total cost of reaching the full potential of the camera is much higher than how it initally has appeared. So we have to bear the cost of the battery grip and an external recorder, which takes the camera to ~£2000 territory, which, in my case, defeats the purpose of having a small all around camera. I am not sure how reasonable is that. I hope Fuji does something about it, as I've waited this camera for so long. Perhaps a non-log flat picture profile is still possible?

• Super Members

If you also shoot a lot of stills its a no brainer and super cheap. If you shoot 50/50 its a good deal. Only if you are 100% video is it questionable imo. But then, why buy a stills camera at all.

What's currently holding me back is that I'm back to exclusively shooting film for stills. So not sure if I would use the Fuji for stills. And then there is no point in not getting a real videocamera.

6 hours ago, Steve M. said:

Fuji clearly states it on the XT2's news page:

"Footage in a Film Simulation mode can be further fine-tuned with “Highlight Tone,” “Shadow Tone,” “Color” and “Sharpness” adjustments."

I think that's confirmation.

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n160707_01.html

2 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

If you also shoot a lot of stills its a no brainer and super cheap. If you shoot 50/50 its a good deal. Only if you are 100% video is it questionable imo. But then, why buy a stills camera at all.

What's currently holding me back is that I'm back to exclusively shooting film for stills. So not sure if I would use the Fuji for stills. And then there is no point in not getting a real videocamera.

Are you a sales rep for fuji now? 

25 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Yup, otherwise they would get the same critique as Sony due to the dodgy Log with banding etc.

Exactly ! If they are making their big entrance into video the last thing they need is people blaming their flog on a codec that cant handle it

• Super Members
20 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

Are you a sales rep for fuji now? 

Nope, I work as a producer. I don't even own anything digital from Fuji, I do however have about 100rolls of Fujicolor and 1000 feet of 16mm Fuji at all times.

But I have shot with Fuji's in the past and really enjoy them. 

Here on this forum I'm just having a conversation. That does not mean that I work for the company I'm currently discussing. Specially since I said I was likely NOT to get it at this point. People are always free to ignore my posts or suck an egg if they don't like them :)

8 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Exactly ! If they are making their big entrance into video the last thing they need is people blaming their flog on a codec that cant handle it

Kinda like Canon. My theory is that they are holding back a little because releasing overheating cameras and dodgy Log is bad business. Either do it right or not at all.