The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, MattH said:

It was always over sharp though, didn't have much dynamic range, and the rolling shutter sucked. They are the reasons I gave it a pass.

Sorry for trolling with NX1 again - just check these video frame grabs from @ricardo_sousa11, maybe you will change your mind http://imgur.com/a/KeilF 

DR is maybe lower, but I can live with it if it can produce such a great results. Moreover - now with 180Mbits bitrate hack is image even better.

XT2 is looks promising but it still has crop in 4K (even it is 17%).

9 hours ago, Steve M. said:

4k is a resolution animal, so it's overly sharp by it's own nature. These are all things that are easily dialed to taste. As far as dynamic range, in my experience, it has the same dynamic range as any of the 8bit 4-2-0 capture codecs, which is practically all the DSLR/DSLM cameras.

I respectfuly disagree.  Resolution and sharpness are not the same thing.  As for dynamic range, the codec defines the dynamic resolution (how many steps) but it has nothing to do with the dynamic range.  An image with a 4 stop range and an image with a 15 stop range could both be recorded in the same 8 bit codec.  Having said that, Its great that people are using the NX1 and finding it to their needs.  It just isn't the be all and end all, otherwise people wouldn't still be looking at new cameras.

59 minutes ago, MattH said:

I respectfuly disagree.  Resolution and sharpness are not the same thing.  As for dynamic range, the codec defines the dynamic resolution (how many steps) but it has nothing to do with the dynamic range.  An image with a 4 stop range and an image with a 15 stop range could both be recorded in the same 8 bit codec.  Having said that, Its great that people are using the NX1 and finding it to their needs.  It just isn't the be all and end all, otherwise people wouldn't still be looking at new cameras.

Dynamic resolution ? Huh ? Did you just make that up ? Lol. Good luck finding "soft" 4K out there

On 7 Jul 2016 at 0:17 PM, Ehetyz said:

Am I the only one who finds the motion in several of those videos to look really strange? Especially in the Beautiful Riot and Akiyama-go - videos.

Most of the motion is overtly fluid, like it's shot in 60i or very low shutter speeds. Or forced in post from PAL to NTSC. Very unpleasant look imho.

Agreed.. something really weird about the motion. Will have to wait for real life tests to get a proper idea. Right now it's looking way too 'video'.

Also am I the only one to find Fuji film simulations a bit over rated? Never been a fan of heavy baked in looks.

It is an interesting concept, at least for still photography but the film simulations have nothing a proper LUT would give you imo.

No IBIS, External F-log, Rolling shutter issues, limited/expensive native lens ... meh.. It sounds to me like Fuji is just jumping on the filmmaker bandwagon, but do they really have the chops? I guess it's still nice Sony finds itself a competitor..

Hopefully a real non-sponsored test will give the full breakdown, I certainly won't be the beta tester for yet another compromised new hybrid system.. hyped up solely on the premise of 4K and some "cool" retro picture profiles..

• Super Members

We have to remember that every single camera to date always look very "video" on promos. Thats because we are a little minority and the camera companies would never make "filmic" demos. They would loose customers.

Regarding the film simulatuons I like them. Just like a LUT they are a great starting point. But more accurate to the cameras colors and saves you time in post. After the lift, gamma, gain is set you are already 80% there. LUTs always needs lots of tweaking.

22 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

We have to remember that every single camera to date always look very "video" on promos. Thats because we are a little minority and the camera companies would never make "filmic" demos. They would loose customers.

True. I've always wondered why companies don't do both though. Red and Blackmagic cater to the film community and do pretty well.

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

True. I've always wondered why companies don't do both though. Red and Blackmagic cater to the film community and do pretty well.

I guess they don't want to risk avarage Joe seeing it and thinking its unsharp and moody. He probably want high FPS and mega sharp.

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

Dynamic resolution ? Huh ? Did you just make that up ? Lol. Good luck finding "soft" 4K out there

It's what it is by definition.  If you increase the bit depth from 8 to 10, you haven't quadrupled the range. You've quadrupled the resolution. Not spacial resoltion, not temporal resolution, but resolution in terms of brightness levels.  Call that what you will. Dynamic resolution seems a good term to me. Certainly more accurate than dynamic range.

As for "soft" 4k.  Take a look at the image from the Canon XC10.

Like the color profiles a lot...images are beautiful, though it could also largely be a function of production design/ steam punk wardrobe...Is it shot at 30fps and then configured on a 24fps timeline?...motion looks weird to me too...perhaps one of the most important aspects for video on a camera...maybe on purpose in this case to go with the "theme" of the shoot?

It is NOT a serious video tool at all :) A more serious camera should at least have 10 bit 4.2.2. All of these cameras have terrible rolling shutter. If you do a move it has an unpleasing jumping, skipping and blurring effect. I'm quite happy and still exploring the new Lumix GX80, which is worth attention for just 599 euros. But not for $1599 :))) If you're ready to spend this amount of money for such a camera, then it is worth attention to rethink and raise the bar.

5 hours ago, MattH said:

I understand, it's all good! The bottom line here is it's ridiculous to even bicker about technology that is absolutey incredible. ALL these cameras have what it takes to go out and create something pretty awesome!

8 minutes ago, Jason Mackey said:

I've seen several mentions that the F-LOG can only be used externally via HDMI.  Could that be because...(fingers crossed)...the HDMI out is 4:2:2 10-bit?

I've also seen the this mentioned, and have seen the youtube link, BUT that Fuji rep isn't saying the F-LOG is HDMI out only, he never mentions that F-LOG is disabled internally. So, although that may be true, in my opinion, it isn't confirmed, at least not that I have seen definitively.

Another very competent and impressive hybrid camera.  The x-pro2 was a pleasant surprise and now the xt...

"Serious" cameras, not serious cameras, who's to say?

When every photo and film enthusiast has a great tool in their hand, what comes next, really?

More than past time to be thinking about a post-technical reality in this bizness. 

The xpro2 is a really fun camera.  Fuji has a good handle at making appealing gear.