The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

There are lots of info and even videos on YouTube. But until the official announcement there is little point in posting them. The get taken down rather quickly :)

But here, http://www.fujirumors.com/online-now-full-fujifilm-x-t2-presentation-specsimagesproduct-description/

I've loved everything I've seen from the X-Pro2. I think Andrew was spot on with his review. The colors are outstanding.

I also feel that the general opinion that the X-Pro2 had a low DR is rather false. Play with the files and you will be amazed at all the info that lurks in the shadows.

What kept me from it where three things. 1. Already have two Leica M Rangefinder's. 2. A tad much Moire. 3. I knew the X-T2 was coming.

I'm not much for preorders but I might book this baby today.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

http://www.thevideomode.com/news/fuji-xt2-video-4k-2938/

The grip takes a further 2 batteries. Interestingly this increases the length of video recording time, which increases from 10mins, using the camera battery, to the maximum 30mins with the battery grip. Similarly Full HD recording time is 15mins or the maximum 30mins with the battery. We’ve been told that the reason for these times is to prevent the camera overheating, which presumably affects not just the sensor, but also the batteries.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Its priced very competitive as well.

Yes just $599 more than the A6300 for a camera with better ergonomics, better EVF, weather sealing, better colour science, better styling, better menus and seemingly no major overheating issues with the vertical grip.

9 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

A 6K readout does not automatically mean massive jello, it depends how fast they scan it.

Yeah, let's see, but I have my doubts. Even Samsung's tech could not do a fast enough scan, and we all agreed that the NX1 was ahead of it's time.

UHD 4K Video Recording and F-Log Gamma

Beyond stills shooting, the X-T2 is the first Fujifilm mirrorless camera to offer UHD 4K video recording options. It records this ultra high resolution 3840 x 2160 footage at an excellent 100 Mbps bitrate and with a minor 1.17x crop of the sensor. It also uses a 5120 x 2880 sample of the sensor that is 1.8x more resolution than the UHD 4K frame that is created, ensuring maximum resolution and detail is provided. Footage can be recorded internally for up to about 10 minutes, though with the addition of the optional Vertical Power Booster Grip users will be able to record for up to 30 minutes with ease. Also, the camera features a 3.5mm microphone jack for more advanced audio solutions. Users looking for a headphone jack will find one on the optional Vertical Power Booster Grip. 

Full HD recording also benefits from the X-T2's video prowess, taking a 3000 x 1687 input to create finely detailed 1920 x 1080 footage at 100 Mbps. A variety of frame rates are available, including 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p, 24p, and True 24.00 for Full HD recording and 30p, 25p, 24p, and True 24.00 for UHD 4K. 

Along with the vastly enhanced recording capabilities, the X-T2 offers an F-Log Gamma setting that provides a flat picture for use in advanced color grading software during editing. This should maximize the potential dynamic range in difficult scenes. Image adjustments can be made as well to highlight tone, shadow tone, color, and sharpness. Additionally, HDMI output is supported with an 8-bit 4:2:2 signal and users will be able to use Film Simulation effects to capture unique video.

So 4K also feats an extra crop of 1.17x, which means 1,75x compared to FF, if the GH5 had multi-aspect sensor of 1.86x, it would be pretty close.

The ability to charge via USB is pretty nice and accepting a AC adapter for the grip is also welcomed. I wish it had a touchscreen and a swivel screen instead of this weird articulated one.

There are some minor things like the lack of 120fps/240fps slow motion but overall, this is great for filmmakers, I've been wanting Fuji Colours and Kaizen for quite some time. I couldn't find the F-log gamma curve but this was indeed a surprise, I thought it would come after via FW, but this is much better.

The good thing about Fuji is that they listen to feedback and upgrades via FW WILL happen, so most of the software related feats might be addressed that way, hopefully the hardware is capable so slow motion can come later.

It’s way too soon to judge but some observations. There are some blown out highlights, but they probably shot it in a pre-production firmware, I can’t know if they were using F-log but I’m assuming they were.

I don’t know though if whoever filmed it was familiarized with the F-loggamma curve and how to use it properly, V-log and S-log for instance, you HAVE to expose it to the right by one or two stops. I don’t know how F-log works but exposing it incorrectly might be the reason for the blown out highlights.

In a couple of months the final production model should be out and there will be plenty of tests to get to know F-log. By the X-PRO2 files, it seems that Fuji is good in retaining data in the shadows, so maybe it might behave a bit differently from V-log and S-log, which could also explain the blown out HL.

im more of a still person than video (yea, probably wrong place to hang out, lol).

my problem with fuji at the moment is that they havent attracted as much momentum as sony crowd does, where people like metabone or third party developer making adatpors to use canon EF/sony A-mount/ nikon F-mount lens. all adaptors are fully manual at the moment. most of my lens are canon mount, so having control over aperture or at least exif will help. but i guess time will come eventually.... 

EDIT: i owned: nikon D40, Fuji S5, XE1, A7r, A6000

Thanks for posting the video shot with XT2. I'm absolutely intrigued by it and if GH5 won't be something exceptional I'm seriously consider the switch to Fuji.

As I see it now, XT2 is what I always wanted: an APSC sensor camera with beautiful 4K video from resizing (no crop, no line skipping etc), great colors, low noise, no overheating (with optional grip) a nice design without ergonomic problems, very good photo quality, good AF and a very good lens collection!

If the refresh rate for the viewfinder is 100 fps, that to me suggests that the readout speed is 10ms. My reasoning for this is that presumably the refresh rate is maintained in video recording and I cant think of any simple way that two readouts could occur at the same time, beyond interlaced (comb filtering? I dont think so). Much simpler to increase the readout speed.   So I think rolling shutter will be fairly reasonable for 4k.

I too have seen a video which was an interview with a fuji employee that said that F-Log would only be via HDMI out .  Hopefully this was a confusion, as this would be disapointing for me.

Unless its 10 bit out then it would seem like a massive ball ache to rig up an external recoder just for a flat picture style.  Though I can sort of understand why they might to this. So non video pro's will never be able to complain about the "dull colour" for example.   If this is the case then I would be more interested in what the inbuilt picture styles can do.  Maybe they can be tweaked a little to get more highlight latitude.

17 minutes ago, MattH said:

If the refresh rate for the viewfinder is 100 fps, that to me suggests that the readout speed is 10ms. My reasoning for this is that presumably the refresh rate is maintained in video recording and I cant think of any simple way that two readouts could occur at the same time, beyond interlaced (comb filtering? I dont think so). Much simpler to increase the readout speed.   So I think rolling shutter will be fairly reasonable for 4k.

Unless it switches to a slower mode when pressing record.

Who knows, the videos aren't telling for now.